Official Kia Soul EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My concern is that the "70%" is not well defined. Does it mean 70% of the total number of visible capacity bars off the Soul EV's gauge? And, assuming in future, if Kia delivers "software updates" and alters their battery capacity meters, that 70% becomes a completely unreliable measure.

Having said that though, I think, in the long run, if you have lost 60% of capacity, it becomes very obvious and I don't think any kind of software patch can hide that. < cut >

I found some links to my earlier question about the battery:

http://articles.sae.org/12877/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://thekoreancarblog.com/2014/06/12/start-of-export-production-for-all-electric-kia-soul-ev/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quoted from a later response "hill" replied that: so if I interpret this correctly, as long as the battery stays above 70% you are good to go as far as the dealer / manufacturer is concerned.... whether 30%+ degradation takes place at year 1 year 5 or year whichever. Here's to hoping there EV's don't have a real steep hyperbolic curve capacity degradation. it still beats the leaf battery capacity warranty hands down - regardless.

mtndrew1 said:
Capacity loss warranty as defined by Kia in the owner's manual is 70% guaranteed at 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I have not looked in my book to see if the warranty is transferable or if it's just for the original owner.

Another question for those who may know more:

I can only assume, reading somewhere that the Soul EV has a battery TMS.

Pls correct me if I am totally wrong about this:

The battery TMS can potentially allow the Soul EV to be QC'ed repeatably and achieve a more consistent charge level off that QC without suffering overheating issues with continued driving.

A couple of years ago, on this forum, somebody did a trip and attempted multiple QC cycles in his drive to a specific destination. The overheating prevent him from:

a) achieving a pre-determined charge level at the QC (the batteries were already hot from his drive before pulling up to the charger).
b) getting on a drive run over 60mph because that increased the temperature even more.

The lack of a TMS did not allow a Leaf to achive long range driving from multiple cycles of QC'ing.

Does the Soul EV have the potential for long range with multiple/repeating QC cycles ?? I recall reading that the TMS in Teslas allowed their drivers to do the repeated QC'ing and continue their driving without giving their batteries a rest.

mxp said:
Does the Soul EV have the potential for long range with multiple/repeating QC cycles ?? I recall reading that the TMS in Teslas allowed their drivers to do the repeated QC'ing and continue their driving without giving their batteries a rest.

The Soul EV "TMS" is very, very basic. Cabin air is blown through the battery pack.

I don't expect a HUGE improvement over the LEAF with repeated DC charging. Those cells are going to get hotter.

Ah I see, Thanks Tony.
I have only started reading about the Soul EV in the last few days! ;-P

Quoted: ... Kia says high-performance anode and gel electrolyte additive materials were developed. The new electrolyte additive allows for better range by more effectively dealing with low and high temperatures. A “special” ceramic separator with improved thermal resistance properties is used. The cell casings are of polymer pouch type (as opposed to metal), and the battery pack is air-cooled.

TonyWilliams said:
mxp said:

The Soul EV "TMS" is very, very basic. Cabin air is blown through the battery pack.

I don't expect a HUGE improvement over the LEAF with repeated DC charging. Those cells are going to get hotter.

I've done six partial quick charges in a row before. I've also done four full ones in a row. All on my 2012. I saw battery temperatures as high as 46c and eight temperature bars on the dash. All time record was set this summer with 50c and nine temp bars, doing only one qc but 38c ambient and 40c starting pack temperature.

I think air cooling will help for one or two sessions, but if you want to take this on a road trip on the west coast electric highway in Oregon where you are doing way more... you're still going to hit limitations. But one or two is probably going to be sufficient for most people.

Keep in mind there is a test vehicle going around southern California quick charing every day. The vehicle has covered almost 100,000 miles.

mtndrew1 said:
The battery pack is covered under EV system not power train in the warranty booklet, which reads to me as thought its warranty is the same for first and subsequent owners.

Can you get a screenshot of the power train and what it entails? Still curious as to why a portion of the warranty is structured that way.

http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/soul-ev/2015/experience?story=interior&chapter=overview

ncKf01O.jpg

QoYZFwo.png

JeremyW said:
mtndrew1 said:
The battery pack is covered under EV system not power train in the warranty booklet, which reads to me as thought its warranty is the same for first and subsequent owners.
Can you get a screenshot of the power train and what it entails? Still curious as to why a portion of the warranty is structured that way.
0.jpg

http://www.kia.com.au/media/news/2014/march/10/kia-motors-shows-soul-ev-and-next-generation-hybrid-powertrain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To maximise the efficiency and potential range of the Soul EV, the vehicle features a number of energy-saving technologies that reduce load on the battery and increase maximum driving range. These include new advanced heating, ventilation and air-conditioning technologies, including a world-first 'driver-only' individual ventilation system, four-mode regenerative braking and a battery heating system.
kia_soul_my14_battery_650wsoul%20ev%20next%20gen.jpg

2014-07-04kiasoulev.jpg

dsc06613.jpg

%ED%98%84%EB%8C%80%EA%B8%B0%EC%95%84%EC%B0%A8-RD%EB%AA%A8%ED%84%B0%EC%87%BC-%ED%98%84%EC%9E%A5-%EC%82%AC%EC%A7%843.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
Just drove the Kia Soul EV on a "Tony Williams" standard range test.
I can confirm 27kWh usable. Report to follow tomorrow.
Looking forward to reading this one.

smkettner said:
TomT said:
If I could get past the exterior styling and design, it definitely would be on mine...
GetOffYourGas said:
Incredible! I can't wait to see the report. This news puts the car back on my list for when my lease is up next June.
Getting past the SOUL styling is a whole lot easier than LEAF. JMHO.

I agree with smkettner. Who am I to dis the looks of the Soul? I'm currently driving a Leaf!

Aerodynamics aside, I admit that the style of the Soul is slowing growing on me, particularly when you consider its positive EV attributes...

smkettner said:
TomT said:
If I could get past the exterior styling and design, it definitely would be on mine...
GetOffYourGas said:
Incredible! I can't wait to see the report. This news puts the car back on my list for when my lease is up next June.

TomT said:
smkettner said:
TomT said:
Aerodynamics aside, I admit that the style of the Soul is slowing growing on me, particularly when you consider its positive EV attributes...
Now if they would just offer it in the regular Soul colors, instead of the "Hello, Kitty" ones. Oh well, you can at least get it in plain white for now.

Berlino said:
GRA said:
It has full battery heating, unlike the LEAF which only has heating to provide battery protection.
Thanks. what method is employed to heat the battery and can the driver intervene?
Not sure of the heating details, and AFAICT heating is automatic when the car is plugged in and needs it:

http://www.kia.com/worldwide/about-kia/company/corporate-news-view.aspx?idx=718" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyWilliams said:
Just drove the Kia Soul EV on a "Tony Williams" standard range test.

I can confirm 27kWh usable. Report to follow tomorrow.

And... my next EV decision just got a lot more difficult.

We consistently show 105 miles combined range (miles traveled + miles remaining). We have not "turtled" yet or even got down to battery warning range (which I have turned off) so it appears quite possible that the 27 actually is the usable number with our 4.0-4.3 "normal driving" efficiency (4.3 would be me, 4.0 my son who most likely floors it and goes 65 mph at the minimum). The 105 number is the above the line one, obviously, so I am curious to learn what range lurks below it (Leaf's 3 blinking lines).

Btw I gather the efficiency data from the driving history screen which is quite helpful (push EV button and follow prompts).

Though it leaves me wondering...instead of a guessing game, why isn't battery size/usable information readily available like it was with the Leaf?

Back