Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
indyflick said:
Jimmydreams said:
I got the weird email, replied to every address AND called them. Nothing.
Same here. I tracked down a local rep and spoke with him. He said someone would call me, but no one did. That was last Thursday.

Just found an email that apparently came yesterday from EVProject:

"Hello Jim, they are starting to make calls today....."

Still nothing heard. :?:

evnow said:
Got a call from "Tom" to schedule the survey appointment ! It will be on 12th, day after tomorrow. He had some 20 others to do the assessment - in the first batch.

<snip>

EVNow and other Seattle area folks.

Tom came by my house today. He called me last Friday (Aug 6th) to make an appt. Today (Aug 11) worked out best for both of us. Notes of things I learned.

a) I don't know the company he directly works for but they have been working with eCotality since Jan.
b) I was about the 10th house he has been to.
c) About 5 people are doing the surveys.
d) his list had 169 people on it.
e) range of locations was far and wide. Furthest was Ashland, OR.
f) he did not have any locations in places like Bellingham, Tacoma, Olympia, etc.. Places that he thought car sales would be occurring.
g) he writes up the information from the survey for eCotality each day. Thought I should hear back in September on details but he didn't really know.
h) he has only met one person from eCotality so far.

My install has a bit of complexity since the panel is in a basement and is technically full but nowhere near overloaded.
We need to consolidate a few of the existing circuits.
The run will have to go from the panel, out the side of the house, through conduit to the garage.
I have a masonry one car garage - fun stuff to drill through (not).
Tom suggested a 50 amp sub panel in the garage to attach into. This would replace my existing 110 line that I have running out there and supply power for normal garage stuff and the charging station. I've also heard (but not confirmed) that they would like a circuit cutoff in eyesight of the charging station.

One other note - I have received some contact from Jason at Younker's Nissan as well to provide a status update that the August order folks should receive more information from Nissan between 8/20 and 8/27 to get our order in. I'm sure we will have screen shots up as soon as we can when this happens.

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
Tom suggested a 50 amp sub panel in the garage to attach into. This would replace my existing 110 line that I have running out there and supply power for normal garage stuff and the charging station.

So, did he say when he will give a quote - or suggest what might be the cost ?

Got my "schedule an appointment" call today (about 4:00 PM) for my EVProject install. He will be out Friday morning. :D

evnow said:
SeattleBlueLeaf said:
Tom suggested a 50 amp sub panel in the garage to attach into. This would replace my existing 110 line that I have running out there and supply power for normal garage stuff and the charging station.

So, did he say when he will give a quote - or suggest what might be the cost ?

He said that he will do the paperwork today to send to Ecotality. Thought I would hear from them in September.

No suggestion on cost.

Dav said:
Got my "schedule an appointment" call today (about 4:00 PM) for my EVProject install. He will be out Friday morning. :D

Ask as many questions as you can think of and share away please. I'm curious of timing and numbers in San Diego as well.

Thanks

Tom finished the Survey sometime back. I didn't learn much new.
- Tom will do the estimation and send it to ecotality
- Someone else will do the install
- I wanted a 110V receptable nearby, which he said I should talk to the electrician doing the install and pay separately
- Last time he was in my area, he surveyed a 10,000 sq ft garage with 9 cars :shock:

He will estimate for the "evse2" position.

evse.png

With the AV EVSE at location 3 in my garage, I cannot access it when the car is in the garage. The passengers exit first, then there is only inches of space.

However, I could store the coil of e-hose near the water heater (near location #1).

Question:
In normal operation of the AV unit, is there any need to access the EVSE unit itself?

Presumably, it can be "ON" all the time, and simply plugging into the car (and removing the plug later) is all one needs to do, right?

garygid said:
Presumably, it can be "ON" all the time, and simply plugging into the car (and removing the plug later) is all one needs to do, right?

Not sure. I think you would need to press start ...

I have not been called yet for the EV Project assessment of my garage/panel. I would like others to find out how much choice we have in the location of the Blink EVSE. My panel is on the outside wall of the garage near the trunk end of the LEAF. Of course I want it near the front of the car.

I also want a 100v receptacle installed on that same wall. I'm hoping the electrician will do that for us is we pay him/her for it.

Azrich said:
I have not been called yet for the EV Project assessment of my garage/panel. I would like others to find out how much choice we have in the location of the Blink EVSE. My panel is on the outside wall of the garage near the trunk end of the LEAF. Of course I want it near the front of the car.

I also want a 100v receptacle installed on that same wall. I'm hoping the electrician will do that for us is we pay him/her for it.

Location was my preference. I was asked where I would want it and they had some general thoughts (near the front of the car). I think the only other limiting factor was that the charger comes out 18 inches from the wall so you need to have clearance. I want mine on the back wall of the garage so we dont bump into it as we walk by.

18"??? None of the videos/pictures I saw look like it has anywhere near 18" of depth. 10-12 maybe. I can't seem to find anything that states the size though.

ECOtality’s Blink Level 2 Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) Specifications
Input Voltage
Input Phase
Frequency
Input Current
Breaker Size
Output Voltage
Output Phase
Pilot
Connector/Cable
Cable Length
Exterior Dimensions
Temperature Rating
Enclosure
Mounting
208 VAC to 240 VAC +/- 10%
Single
50/60 Hz
30 Amps (maximum); 12A, 16A, 24A available
40 Amps; settings at 15A/20A/30A available
208 VAC - 240 VAC +/- 10%
Single
SAE J1772-compliant
SAE J1772-compliant; UL-rated at 30A maximum
18 feet (estimated)
Wall Mount: 18” W x 22” H x 5-9/16” D
Cord Mount: 18” Diameter
-22o F (-30o C) to +122o F (+50o C)
NEMA Type 3R; sun-and-heat-resistant
Wall-mount or pedestal

sounds like the guy I was talking to confused width for depth and width. Depth of about 6 inches sounds much better. Either way, it's going on my back wall where no one bounces against it as they get in/out of the car. Remember this blink thing has a bunch of communications equipement in it too.

stanley said:
To Dav and Jimmydreams, Have you had your visit from the EV Project?
Yes, they came out Friday 13th morning. I was not present, my wife was.

They insisted they had to see the panel in our condo, which pissed me off because the EVSE connects to a separate meter in the utility closet on the corner of the building. The wiring is already in place since we already had a TAL charger there. He didn't care, he had to follow his script.

Clueless, so even if he had provided any information, I would not have put credence in it.

Back