Official Coda Electric Car thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if that is a misprint.. very competitive with PIP, Volt and Leaf.. the other electrics (as seen by the public).

GE Energy to supply WattStation charging stations for CODA

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2011/11/coda-2011117.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Herm said:
I wonder if that is a misprint.. very competitive with PIP, Volt and Leaf.. the other electrics (as seen by the public).
Yes, this appears to be right ~ $39,900. See this article as well http://www.plugincars.com/first-drive-2012-coda-electric-sedan-110312.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For a battery 50 percent bigger than the Leaf's that is not bad. I suspect it will do OK at that price point.

eHelmholtz said:
Herm said:
Yes, this appears to be right ~ $39,900. See this article as well http://www.plugincars.com/first-drive-2012-coda-electric-sedan-110312.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomT said:
For a battery 50 percent bigger than the Leaf's that is not bad. I suspect it will do OK at that price point.

eHelmholtz said:
Herm said:

But would you actually pay that much for a brand new car from a start-up company with no track record, a car that is an electrification of an outdated Chinese copy of a Mitsubishi ICE car from a decade ago, and looks and feels like it? I wouldn't, unless I was desperate for an EV, and with other choices out there, few are going to be desperate.

Boomer23 said:
But would you actually pay that much for a brand new car from a start-up company with no track record, a car that is an electrification of an outdated Chinese copy of a Mitsubishi ICE car from a decade ago, and looks and feels like it? I wouldn't, unless I was desperate for an EV, and with other choices out there, few are going to be desperate.

+1. The only ones who will be interested are the fleets. The target market is rather limited ...

- Wants more range than Leaf's 73 miles (EPA)
- Really wants an EV
- Doesn't have enough money for a Tesla S
- Lives in CA
- Doesn't mind taking risks

The difference between Tesla/Fisker as startups and Coda is
- Zero credibility of promoters
- Design based on a Chinese knockoff instead of an European car

So, the biggest thing standing in the way of Coda is perceived risk.

If I HAD to have that range to make it practical, and wanted a BEV only, yes. Otherwise, likely no. Other than Tesla, no one can - or will soon be able to - provide a BEV with that range.

With that size battery and active battery thermal management, it might also find a home in the cold regions.

It remains to be seen if those are enough to generate sufficient sales...

Boomer23 said:

TomT said:
If I HAD to have that range to make it practical, and wanted a BEV only, yes. Otherwise, likely no. Other than Tesla, no one can - or will soon be able to - provide a BEV with that range.

With that size battery and active battery thermal management, it might also find a home in the cold regions.

It remains to be seen if those are enough to generate sufficient sales...

Boomer23 said:
Yeah, that's the issue; will Coda be the next Hyundai, or the next Yugo? If I were in the market for a BEV, the Coda is the only one that comes close to meeting my requirements for range and price, has the advantage of lacking what I consider to be a costly, unnecessary, distracting and dangerous touch-screen control for the HVAC system, and I could live with the looks; after all, it's better looking than the 1st-gen Prius, even if that is setting the bar about as low as you can go. But, am I willing to shell out ~$45,000 to find out if it will fall apart in a year? Nope - I don't want a BEV that badly. OTOH, I do think that Ford's pricing of the Focus EV will sell a lot of Volts, and maybe Codas too.

GRA said:
lacking what I consider to be a costly, unnecessary, distracting and dangerous touch-screen control for the HVAC system

The HVAC system on the LEAF is not part of the touch screen. The current settings in terms of target temperature are displayed there, but all the buttons are actual buttons as you'd see on any car and any car that you could set a target temperature upon has a display screen for that temperature. Also, the heated seats and steering wheel are buttons. Setting the HVAC timers does require the touch screen, but it also requires you to stop the vehicle. There may be other safety issues with the screen, but the HVAC IMHO ain't one of 'em.

TimeHorse said:
GRA said:
lacking what I consider to be a costly, unnecessary, distracting and dangerous touch-screen control for the HVAC system

The HVAC system on the LEAF is not part of the touch screen. The current settings in terms of target temperature are displayed there, but all the buttons are actual buttons as you'd see on any car and any car that you could set a target temperature upon has a display screen for that temperature. Also, the heated seats and steering wheel are buttons. Setting the HVAC timers does require the touch screen, but it also requires you to stop the vehicle. There may be other safety issues with the screen, but the HVAC IMHO ain't one of 'em.

I think that GRA was referring to the Tesla Model S as another EV with a longer range than the LEAF but which has the disadvantage of using touch screens for almost all driver inputs.

Boomer23 said:
TimeHorse said:
GRA said:

I think that GRA was referring to the Tesla Model S as another EV with a longer range than the LEAF but which has the disadvantage of using touch screens for almost all driver inputs.

Actually, based on my test-drive I was thinking that the Leaf used a touch-screen for everything, so my bad. I'm against any controls for _any_ car that require you to take your eyes off the road to use them while you're driving; that includes rows of identical buttons that serve very different purposes. That goes for HVAC, audio, nav or what have you. I prefer rotary or slide controls that can be operated purely by feel, although individual buttons can work well for some applications.

Far too many cars have adopted digital and/or touch-screen controls and displays because they look cool, not because they work better. This used to be primarily an issue with Japanese cars but the virus has spread, as it's such an easy way to boost the profit margin by bundling these systems with other options that add actual utility. I have yet to see a button/touch-screen system that has superior functionality to rotary or slide controls - the iDrive on my buddy's BMW 650 being an example of such style over substance. My Ford/Lincoln Touch appears to be just as bad. See:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2011/october/cars/the-connected-car/overview/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for examples of this stupidity.

Coda offers two battery size options.. 31 and 36kWh

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2012/01/coda-20120109.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"CODA Automotive will offer two mileage range and price options in 2012 for the CODA sedan. In addition to the original model, equipped with a 36 kWh battery pack offering up to a 150-mile (241 km) range with a MSRP of $39,900, a new 31 kWh battery option will provide a driving range of up to 125 miles (201 km) and will be available at a lower base MSRP of $37,250."

Herm said:
Coda offers two battery size options.. 31 and 36kWh

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2012/01/coda-20120109.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"CODA Automotive will offer two mileage range and price options in 2012 for the CODA sedan. In addition to the original model, equipped with a 36 kWh battery pack offering up to a 150-mile (241 km) range with a MSRP of $39,900, a new 31 kWh battery option will provide a driving range of up to 125 miles (201 km) and will be available at a lower base MSRP of $37,250."

Now that's a LEAF competitor, but do you want lead chips with that?

CODA anticipates first deliveries of the 2012 CODA sedans will begin next month.

Well, I'll believe it when I see it.

Still, I think the biggest problem with the Coda is the body styling. It just looks too dull and outdated for a car in its price range. Some people may buy it for its range but I can't see it hitting mass market unless they come up with a better body style.

Time will tell. A coworker has ordered one (36Kw battery version) and has a delivery date of February 22...

adric22 said:
CODA anticipates first deliveries of the 2012 CODA sedans will begin next month.
Well, I'll believe it when I see it. Still, I think the biggest problem with the Coda is the body styling. It just looks too dull and outdated for a car in its price range. Some people may buy it for its range but I can't see it hitting mass market unless they come up with a better body style.

adric22 said:

Well, I'll believe it when I see it.

Still, I think the biggest problem with the Coda is the body styling. It just looks too dull and outdated for a car in its price range. Some people may buy it for its range but I can't see it hitting mass market unless they come up with a better body style.
It's no more bland and invisible than similar vintage (ca. 1998-2004) Corollas:

http://2000-toyota.usa-used-car.com/2000-toyota-corolla/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=coda+sedan&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&biw=1024&bih=638&tbm=isch&tbnid=tsBZT_eYe79iqM:&imgrefurl=http://www.matternetwork.com/2009/6/new-electric-car-coming-california.cfm&docid=QPrskZAuhlu7HM&imgurl=http://www.matternetwork.com/images/Matter/coda-sedan.jpg&w=500&h=278&ei=yMEMT8XBBMawiQLK-fX6Aw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=371&vpy=196&dur=4181&hovh=167&hovw=301&tx=156&ty=95&sig=114048536490816936003&page=1&tbnh=98&tbnw=177&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's range, charger and cargo area give it a higher utility than the Leaf or Focus. I suspect early EV purchasers are less style-conscious than mainstream buyers, so if they can sell enough of these it will give them the cash to wrap some more interesting sheet metal around a more up-to-date chassis in a few years. For those who insist on everyone knowing how socially responsible they are, they can always have graphics:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=coda+sedan&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&biw=1024&bih=638&tbm=isch&tbnid=qgMlI0cwvVh0SM:&imgrefurl=http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/14/2012-coda-sedan-quick-spin-review/&docid=hg5EIhuSECfImM&imgurl=http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/10/lead2-2012-coda-sedan-qs.jpg&w=628&h=384&ei=yMEMT8XBBMawiQLK-fX6Aw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=584&vpy=306&dur=6688&hovh=175&hovw=287&tx=44&ty=197&sig=114048536490816936003&page=6&tbnh=100&tbnw=163&start=75&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:75" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, I think the major resistance to buying them isn't looks, it's unknown reliability and (company) longevity, which is why they really need to offer a lease program. That and get them in rental fleets, which they already have plans for.

Guy

GRA said:
Of course, I think the major resistance to buying them isn't looks, it's unknown reliability and (company) longevity, which is why they really need to offer a lease program. That and get them in rental fleets, which they already have plans for.
Yes - with zero history, made in China stamp and major questions about viability of the company - Coda would have to aggressively sell to fleets. Difficult to imagine too many consumers buying Coda.

evnow said:
Yes - with zero history, made in China stamp and major questions about viability of the company - Coda would have to aggressively sell to fleets. Difficult to imagine too many consumers buying Coda.

The Coda is considered a US made car by the value of the car parts.

adric22 said:
Yeah, I saw one in person at the Silicon Valley auto show recently. I wasn't too impressed w/the styling.
evnow said:
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't buy one because of the viability issue. For me, it'd have to be from one of the major established automakers that currently sells in the US.

Back