Unofficial THINK City Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Th!nk sent an "On Sale Now" email today:

reservethink.jpg

Their pricing page says:
http://www.thinkev-usa.com/buy-think-city/pricing/

MSRP: $35,495
Destination: $1,000
Total Delivered Price: $36,495

After $7,500 Federal tax credit: $28,995

They have cars available for immediate purchase - and they're selling nation-wide.
http://www.thinkev-usa.com/buy-think-city/inventory-clearance/

AndyH said:
Th!nk sent an "On Sale Now" email today:

Their pricing page says:
http://www.thinkev-usa.com/buy-think-city/pricing/

MSRP: $35,495
Destination: $1,000
Total Delivered Price: $36,495

After $7,500 Federal tax credit: $28,995

They have cars available for immediate purchase - and they're selling nation-wide.
http://www.thinkev-usa.com/buy-think-city/inventory-clearance/

It was exciting to get this today, but the bottom line is this car is the same price as the Leaf, with the same range. However it's also a 2-seater with a top speed of 75mph.

Anyone know if the cars they are selling has the zebra battery? I could see that giving it an advantage over the leaf in cold weather states.

LeafinThePark said:
It was exciting to get this today, but the bottom line is this car is the same price as the Leaf, with the same range. However it's also a 2-seater with a top speed of 75mph.
Agree completely. This would fit my needs perfectly but the price would need to come down. Come on competition - bring those prices down! :D

Rokeby said:
Can you take a minute or two to tell us why you remember this
peculiar little EV with such fondness...
Where were you in Europe when you owned it, etc?
What impressed you the most... the least?
How was the dealer/manufacturer support?
Miles/kilos per charge?

Ford offered the Think City for $199/mo lease in late 2001, on a 33-month lease; they were competing with GM's EV-1, and both companies were facing a potential mandate from the California Air Resources Board (CARB), later repealed, which would have forced carmakers selling in California to sell a minimum number of zero-emission vehicles.
The 2001 Think City had lead-acid batteries, a top speed of 55 mph, and an effective range of about 40 miles. No A/C, manual windows and door locks, and two (2) seats. It had a huge rear cargo area, with a convenient bumper-to-roof hatchback that easily held a full Costco haul. My wife and I loved it, and she sobbed quietly at lease-end when Ford sent a flatbed tow to take it away. The only maintenance it ever needed was an annual free battery check (full discharge/recharge), for which we got a loaner Think from the dealer.

The car resembled nothing so much as an Igloo cooler on wheels (note avatar pic to the left); the body was made of plastic (for recyclability) over a metal frame. The roofline was fully a foot higher than most sedans, making it easy to find in a parking lot filled with Accords, Camry's, and Taurus's.

We've waited patiently for the market and manufacturer's to come back with a 'real' EV, and we were thrilled to take delivery of our Leaf last month.

I just looked at the interior pics and they didn't hold back on dipping in to the Ford parts bin. The steering wheel, switches, HVAC knobs are all off of a 2000 Ford Focus. I realize they are a small company relatively speaking, but it's always weird when I see blatant use of other manufacturers parts in other brands. It makes it feel like kit car. I got the same feeling with the tesla. The fit and finish and quality of materials doesn't match up with other $110-150k sports cars on the market.

Isn't there are planned racing series with these?

Couldn't get out the camera quick enough but saw a red TH!NK in Highland Park, IL (north of Chicago) when we were out to test drive a new Fiat 500 with the only Chicago area dealer who has them -- my wife commented the little red car didn't look bad until she saw the back end which made it look more 'toy' like. I also now kick myself for not checking the plate as IL has a special series plate for EV's. All the TH!NK's have poly' body panels (dull or flat finish) which also makes them kit-carish as well -- it was moving right along and is perhaps the first I've ever seen in the wild. As others have said -- same price as the LEAF so simply not something we would consider but it looks like other EV's are beating the LEAF to our area even though in VERY low numbers, perhaps this was also a test fleet vehicle?

EricH said:
Rokeby said:
Can you take a minute or two to tell us why you remember this
peculiar little EV with such fondness...
Where were you in Europe when you owned it, etc?
What impressed you the most... the least?
How was the dealer/manufacturer support?
Miles/kilos per charge?

Ford offered the Think City for $199/mo lease in late 2001, on a 33-month lease; they were competing with GM's EV-1, and both companies were facing a potential mandate from the California Air Resources Board (CARB), later repealed, which would have forced carmakers selling in California to sell a minimum number of zero-emission vehicles.
The 2001 Think City had lead-acid batteries, a top speed of 55 mph, and an effective range of about 40 miles. No A/C, manual windows and door locks, and two (2) seats. It had a huge rear cargo area, with a convenient bumper-to-roof hatchback that easily held a full Costco haul. My wife and I loved it, and she sobbed quietly at lease-end when Ford sent a flatbed tow to take it away. The only maintenance it ever needed was an annual free battery check (full discharge/recharge), for which we got a loaner Think from the dealer.

The car resembled nothing so much as an Igloo cooler on wheels (note avatar pic to the left); the body was made of plastic (for recyclability) over a metal frame. The roofline was fully a foot higher than most sedans, making it easy to find in a parking lot filled with Accords, Camry's, and Taurus's.

We've waited patiently for the market and manufacturer's to come back with a 'real' EV, and we were thrilled to take delivery of our Leaf last month.

The Think never had lead acid batteries, if you drove it at lower speeds you could get 60 plus out of the small pack. If a company like Nissan were building this with their economies of scale it would be priced very low and it is a great city car for many reasons, if it were $12-15K after rebates I would own one again.

Back