not even a new leafer , its new in the whole country

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micro0me

Hello all

i live in meddle east , here the hybrid cars are really a new thing ! so what about EV cars , its unknown thing for very body , anyway , i take my chances and i bought an 2012 nissan leaf SV with about 25K mile , i go it from Portland and i shipped it to my county jordan , it almost the first EV car here , our nissan dealer know nothing about this car even , i read a ton of post here , i really thanks you guys about this great forum , the car arrived here yesterday , it took 4 month shipping time , thats because my country here asked me a ton of paper to let me bring it here , that took a long time , anyway , i connect the spy leaf and i took a screenshot for you , please have a look and tell me what do you think about it , i have another problem too , the nissan EVSE was stolen some where , the car arrived with 65 mile left on GOM , i found a Chinese EVSE here called dostar , its 16 AMP and 3.7KW , can i use it ? and please i need your advice about how to treat the car , any advice will be welcomed , i will attache the pics ...

sorry for my bad English , iam waiting your replays .

if the pic didt appear please click o the following link

http://s7.postimg.org/9mbuci55n/12606918_10207505097921320_871175994_n.jpg

Regards .

12606918_10207505097921320_871175994_n.jpg

I'm not an expert at this, but if you want a quick reply: the Leaf Spy screen appears to show a significantly degraded battery pack. You need to count the little white capacity "bars" that are right next to the larger "Fuel" or "Charge" bars. I'm guessing you have nine or ten of them left, out of the original 12. The possible good news is that, between the capacity already lost, and the hot climate of Jordan, you may end up qualifying for a new battery from Nissan - if there is a dealer there who can install it. Now, hopefully, more expert people will post here.

LeftieBiker said:
The possible good news is that, between the capacity already lost, and the hot climate of Jordan, you may end up qualifying for a new battery from Nissan - if there is a dealer there who can install it. Now, hopefully, more expert people will post here.

Unless the OP wants to ship the car all the way back from Jordan to a US dealer, then back to Jordan again, I seriously doubt he qualifies for a warranty. Folks in New Zealand who imported Leafs from Japan can't even get paid service support from their own dealers, much less warranty support.

For the OP: in regards to the Chinese EVSE, it should work as long as it is made for a car compliant with "J1772" which is the charging standard for the current generation of electric cars and plug-in hybrids here in the US. I don't know what if any standard is used in China, and in Europe the standard is "Mennekes" which looks similar at first, but the pins are oriented differently.

LeftieBiker said:
I'm not an expert at this, but if you want a quick reply: the Leaf Spy screen appears to show a significantly degraded battery pack. You need to count the little white capacity "bars" that are right next to the larger "Fuel" or "Charge" bars. I'm guessing you have nine or ten of them left, out of the original 12. The possible good news is that, between the capacity already lost, and the hot climate of Jordan, you may end up qualifying for a new battery from Nissan - if there is a dealer there who can install it. Now, hopefully, more expert people will post here.

thanks for reply

in fact , they are 11 from 12 , i took a pic for you

12630962_10207505544132475_1675072752_o.jpg

You have a "12 bar" car that is on the verge of becoming an 11 bar car. Compare your Ahr statistics to the ones in my signature line for my former Leaf. Those figures are from the day I turned the car in back to Nissan, a bit over a month after it lost the 12th bar.

As far as treating the car...unfortunately moving the car to such a hot climate will accelerate battery degradation. You can expect to lose capacity at a much faster rate than what the car has endured under its previous owner. 2011 and 2012 Leafs bought brand new and operated in cities like Phoenix or Las Vegas usually lost 2-3 bars by the time the car turned two years old. Don't be surprised if you are down to 10 capacity bars by the end of next summer.

One thing you can do to try to slow those losses is to keep the car as cool as possible. If you can, don't park exposed to sun during the daytime, and in the evening don't park in an enclosed garage unless it is air conditioned. If you don't need the full driving range of the car that day, use the "Long Life Mode" which limits charging to 80%; this is done via the Charging Timers. If you do charge to 100%, try to not leave it at that state for any length of time. Set your Charging Timers to most accurately reflect when the car will actually be used. Consider using only the End timer and let the car calculate when it needs to start charging, that way you don't leave the car with a full battery longer than you have to.

RonDawg said:
You have a "12 bar" car that is on the verge of becoming an 11 bar car. Compare your Ahr statistics to the ones in my signature line for my former Leaf. Those figures are from the day I turned the car in back to Nissan, a bit over a month after it lost the 12th bar.

i didnt understand you completely , is that a relay bad thing ? our dealer here has no idea about this car , keep in mind that the only way to replace my battery is to buy a 2015 salvage car and ship it here and take the battery from it !

RonDawg said:
As far as treating the car...unfortunately moving the car to such a hot climate will accelerate battery degradation. You can expect to lose capacity at a much faster rate than what the car has endured under its previous owner. 2011 and 2012 Leafs bought brand new and operated in cities like Phoenix or Las Vegas usually lost 2-3 bars by the time the car turned two years old. Don't be surprised if you are down to 10 capacity bars by the end of next summer.

One thing you can do to try to slow those losses is to keep the car as cool as possible. If you can, don't park exposed to sun during the daytime, and in the evening don't park in an enclosed garage unless it is air conditioned. If you don't need the full driving range of the car that day, use the "Long Life Mode" which limits charging to 80%; this is done via the Charging Timers. If you do charge to 100%, try to not leave it at that state for any length of time. Set your Charging Timers to most accurately reflect when the car will actually be used. Consider using only the End timer and let the car calculate when it needs to start charging, that way you don't leave the car with a full battery longer than you have to.

thanks a lot for you replay

you think that my county is located in gulf area , no my country is not too hot area , in the hot summer , the temp reach here 37 C max ! and in a very cold day , it reach to 7 C , jordan is a very nice weather country , not too hot , and not too cold in winter

micro0me said:
RonDawg said:

i didnt understand you completely , is that a relay bad thing ? our dealer here has no idea about this car , keep in mind that the only way to replace my battery is to buy a 2015 salvage car and ship it here and take the battery from it !

What it means is that based on your LeafSpy readings, your car is essentially an "11 bar" car even though it currently displays 12 bars. You can expect to lose the very top (12th) bar very soon.

The fuel gauge is divided up into two parts: the left part of the gauge with the long blue and white lines is the actual charge left in the battery. What Leftie and I are referring to is the capacity bars which are the small bars along the right side. So in your picture, you have all 12 of the small bars (two of which are red and 10 are white) but your actual charge level is at 9 bars. When you lose that 12th bar, you will only have 9 white bars and the two red ones at the bottom.

The way Nissan programmed the display, the first bar is worth 15% of the battery capacity, and everything else is worth 6.25% of the capacity. So a car with 3 of the capacity bars missing has lost 27.5% of its original capacity.

please note that screenshot is took when the car come here Immediately , i mean the car is not in ready mode for more than 5 months

RonDawg said:
micro0me said:
RonDawg said:

What it means is that based on your LeafSpy readings, your car is essentially an "11 bar" car even though it currently displays 12 bars. You can expect to lose the very top (12th) bar very soon.

The fuel gauge is divided up into two parts: the left part of the gauge with the long blue and white lines is the actual charge left in the battery. What Leftie and I are referring to is the capacity bars which are the small bars along the right side. So in your picture, you have all 12 of the small bars (two of which are red and 10 are white) but your actual charge level is at 9 bars. When you lose that 12th bar, you will only have 9 white bars and the two red ones at the bottom.

The way Nissan programmed the display, the first bar is worth 15% of the battery capacity, and everything else is worth 6.25% of the capacity. So a car with 3 of the capacity bars missing has lost 27.5% of its original capacity.

i had attached another pic , its already shows 11 from 12 , you may count them . so the leaf spay is right and the bars is right too

ooooh iam sorry , i dont know what is happening , i count them my self , they was a 11 ! , when i took the pics they showed 12 , sorry my bad

micro0me said:
you think that my county is located in gulf area , no my country is not too hot area , in the hot summer , the temp reach here 37 C max ! and in a very cold day , it reach to 7 C , jordan is a very nice weather country , not too hot , and not too cold in winter

37 degrees Celsius is almost 100 degrees Fahrenheit! That's considered hot to us.

I live in a warmer part of Los Angeles (not near the beach) and temperatures in my area during the summertime are typically around 30-35 degrees Celsius. My car took not quite 3 years to lose its 12th bar, but my car is kept garaged during the daytime and I have a short commute so I am not charging my car for as long. Other people here who live in similarly warm areas have had more rapid degradation than me. Other members in other parts of Southern California that are closer to the beach than I am still experienced more degradation than I did over the same time period.

micro0me said:
ooooh iam sorry , i dont know what is happening , i count them my self , they was a 11 ! , when i took the pics they showed 12 , sorry my bad

It may not be an error on your part. Leafs that are about to lose that 12th bar will sometimes show 12 bars one day and 11 the next and then back to 12.

Welcome to EV ownership. Your battery is in good shape for its age and mileage, but it will deteriorate over time. My 2011 was down to 10 bars when it was a little over one year old and down to 8 bars after a little more than 2 years, but I could still drive 50 miles on a charge (before Nissan replaced the battery). You will like the air conditioning--cooling is among the best of any car I have driven. The heater works well, but takes a lot of energy. There is a kit available from a Leaf driver in Norway that includes a switch to give the driver better control of heater power consumption. If you are still looking for an EVSE, you could probably purchase one from evseupgrade.com that would handle the full input voltage range that the onboard charger can use. Since support from your local Nissan dealer will be limited, you might want to purchase the service manual from Nissan for reference.

Gerry

LeftieBiker said:
I would not consider this a significantly degraded battery, the 84% SOH, it's just a little less than my 2013 w/42k mi, which still has 12 bars. It does seem as though the OP car is on the verge of losing its first bar.

Very good! You went through a lot of effort to get your car. You are almost full on your battery with about 11 bars. Enjoy your new car. We really like our two leafs. Be ready to replace your battery in a few years. You could be a great ambassador with you car there when you may be the only one. Good luck!

For a hot climate, it would have been better to get a 2015 or later; these have the "Lizard Battery". The heat will degrade the batteries. You can slow this some by not leaving battery as a high SOC in the heat. The pack should be in the middle third range any time it will be sitting in the heat. If you can find some cool underground parking that would help.

Potential issue is the power grid at 200 to 240 so your power dongle that comes with it will be rated for 110V if you got it from the states. But you can get an upgraded evse that can do 200+ volts.

Aim to charge it on the lower amperage seting for the first couple cycles (This helps with cell balancing) this may improve things to a degree after a few cycles.

Firetruck41 said:
LeftieBiker said:
I would not consider this a significantly degraded battery, the 84% SOH, it's just a little less than my 2013 w/42k mi, which still has 12 bars. It does seem as though the OP car is on the verge of losing its first bar.

Exactly, looks much better than many 2012 cars, for sure. But it is a downward path from here with 37C temps in the summer. The OP should expect to lose about 8% capacity/range annually.

Back