Noise at startup

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdub

I've searched for this using the search tool.. .and as a side note - the search functions on this site really stink... it never lets me search for anything... says the terms are too common. Great.

But anyways... does everyone's else car make a mechanical "duh duh duh.... duh duh duh duh" noise when pressing the start button?

The blink does this too when you plug in.

Are there some mechanical things going on that make a connection to the battery or something? For safety reasons. I don't think there's anything wrong with the car.. but just curious. Brave new world.

I can't say as I've noticed anything like that. A few little clicks as relays turn on, the AC vents open, etc. Perhaps you could post a link to a recording of the noise?

As for the search, it's a little hard to see because it's kind of "faded", but there's a google search box just above the standard search controls. Use that, it works much better...

cdub said:
The blink does this too when you plug in.

Are there some mechanical things going on that make a connection to the battery or something? For safety reasons. I don't think there's anything wrong with the car.. but just curious. Brave new world.

The thunk the blink makes is a mechanical relay that closes to start the charging (allow the current flow) to the car. My car does make a series of relay sounds upon starting also, not very loud, but noticeable. My two cents is if the sounds are as quiet or quieter then the the Blink every thing is normal, but thats just my thoughts.

-Matt

I am so glad you asked. I had intended to do so myself. This takes me back to the days of hard drives in the '80s. Each brand had its own little "startup song" as it spun up and did some seek tests. I must have some kind of musician brain or something.

You counted wrong. :)

I hear eight relays. Substituting my own onomatopoeia, I hear "tuk-a-tuk...tuk-a-tuk-a-tuk". At least that's the most recent. I thought I had previously counted less, so I can't be sure it's the same every time. I figured they might be relays, which would tell us how many battery "sections" there are. Hopefully someone who knows (or had the service manual) can tell us exactly.

This isn't the cellular radio sounds he's talking about. Though those are present, too.

+1 on GeekEV's suggestion to use the Google search. It will change your life. (Look for this on other forums you use, also).

gbarry42 said:
I hear eight relays. Substituting my own onomatopoeia, I hear "tuk-a-tuk...tuk-a-tuk-a-tuk". At least that's the most recent. I thought I had previously counted less, so I can't be sure it's the same every time. I figured they might be relays, which would tell us how many battery "sections" there are. Hopefully someone who knows (or had the service manual) can tell us exactly.

That's exactly what I'm hearing... I wasn't remembering it 100%... wasn't that I couldn't count. ;)

Relays and contactors. Normal.
But as you stated, way more mechanical noises than I was expecting.
Part of the learning curve.
But the Blink contactor makes more noise than I've heard standing next to 4160V switchgear with huge current draw that were closing. With that much contactor closing force / speed, it should last for 100 years.

gbarry42 said:
Hopefully someone who knows (or had the service manual) can tell us exactly.

Found a service repair manual for the Leaf on eBay, got it mailed to me on CD fast and it included a pdf version of the owners manual, navigation, service and quick reference guide - $20.00 + $5.00 shipping. It's the original OEM service manual updated in April 2011

GroundLoop said:
Why not just buy it from Nissan? Same price, and you're not funding some eBay dude who is ripping off Nissan's copyrighted work.

I don't mind paying some eBay dude for the convenience of getting all the manuals together on a CD. I sell stuff on craigslist and eBay all the time. I'm supporting my eBay community.. :D

hatuey said:
I don't mind paying some eBay dude for the convenience of getting all the manuals together on a CD. I sell stuff on craigslist and eBay all the time. I'm supporting my eBay community.. :D
Maybe he can photocopy some Harry Potter books for you as well. Or a legal textbook.
Ask if he can throw in a free copy of Photoshop. For convenience.

GroundLoop said:
hatuey said:
Maybe he can photocopy some Harry Potter books for you as well. Or a legal textbook.
Ask if he can throw in a free copy of Photoshop. For convenience.

You are absolutely right - But I don't think that Nissan is going to be terribly hurt by this guy. Again, you are absolutely right, I should be ashamed of myself.

hatuey said:
You are absolutely right - But I don't think that Nissan is going to be terribly hurt by this guy. Again, you are absolutely right, I should be ashamed of myself.
Nissan won't be terribly hurt by this guy, but in the same vein a grocery store isn't terribly hurt if this guy steals a few apples. In addition, you don't save any money by supporting this copyright violation, and downloading the stuff yourself is faster. Doing the right thing is a no brainer.

hatuey:
You can assuage your guilt completely if you go ahead and pay for a day's access to the Leaf service manual (etc). At least you don't have to go to the trouble to make those 50-odd downloads...

Stoaty said:
hatuey said:
Nissan won't be terribly hurt by this guy, but in the same vein a grocery store isn't terribly hurt if this guy steals a few apples. In addition, you don't save any money by supporting this copyright violation, and downloading the stuff yourself is faster. Doing the right thing is a no brainer.

I'm going to assume this guy did not steal the manuals - he must have paid his $19 odd dollars to Nissan and downloaded his own copy. Now he assumes he can sell copies. It's the way this Country was built. It's the reason copyrights were invented. How many patent/copyrights have been stolen to make this Country great?

OK, I'm getting carried away. Just because it's been done before doesn't mean it's right. BTW, I paid full price for my Photoshop... :mrgreen:

Back