NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure would be nice if it is the TCU that causes the annoying OK/Decline waiver prompt to come up every time and the 3G upgrade changed its behavior to only pop up once a month like 2013's and after...I think I would gladly fork over $199 if that were the case!

lpickup said:
Sure would be nice if it is the TCU that causes the annoying OK/Decline waiver prompt to come up every time and the 3G upgrade changed its behavior to only pop up once a month like 2013's and after...I think I would gladly fork over $199 if that were the case!

Sadly I suspect that's wishful thinking...

jlv said:
I'd love the car to use a push to Nissan's servers: 1 minute after it is turned off, when it is plugged in, when it is done charging. I could get that push delivered as a notification to my phone. Or the data could sit on their server until I open the app. In no case should opening the app (or the webpage) have to sit time spinning trying to talk to the car.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding your wish, but I currently have CarWings doing some of this. I have it send me email (I believe it could also be a text) when it is done charging and when it is not plugged in while parked near a charging station. I think it can also do it when it starts charging. I don't remember how I set this up but it must have been through the website. The notification when done charging is important to me as I share a charging station at work and want to move my car as soon as done, and I would hate to be constantly having to go out and check.

larrycookjr said:
jlv said:
I'd love the car to use a push to Nissan's servers: 1 minute after it is turned off, when it is plugged in, when it is done charging. I could get that push delivered as a notification to my phone. Or the data could sit on their server until I open the app. In no case should opening the app (or the webpage) have to sit time spinning trying to talk to the car.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding your wish, but I currently have CarWings doing some of this. I have it send me email (I believe it could also be a text) when it is done charging and when it is not plugged in while parked near a charging station. I think it can also do it when it starts charging. I don't remember how I set this up but it must have been through the website. The notification when done charging is important to me as I share a charging station at work and want to move my car as soon as done, and I would hate to be constantly having to go out and check.

I think he is asking for ALL the data (state of charge percentage, climate control status, etc.), not just a simple text that says it started or stopped. This is nice so that you can immediately go into the app and not have to request a refresh (which takes a minute or more) to get an accurate SOC and estimated miles remaining.

Phatcat73 said:
I called my local dealer and they are clueless. Anyone have a TSB or part numbers they can share as a point of reference? Thx.

IBeLeaf2 said:
Just got back from the dealer. $199 is the total cost.
Here are some details,
Invoice says:
Recall campaign PC449 Telematics unit customer co-pay $199
FP# 283BO-6NF2A
Total parts and Labor $0
Misc charge $199
Total Invoice $199
There was no mention of any ongoing fees

Posted last week

Got my MY2015 back and went to the places near work that I have not been able to connect, and the new 3g works in all of them. Remote climate control and monitoring my charge are now possible.

lpickup said:

Excellent question. Anyone with an early leaf replace your TCU yet :?:

My dealer contacted me today to say the TCU is on backorder with Nissan. If we can believe what they say, Nissan are out of stock already. Dealer has not got an ETA from Nissan yet.

Looks like I may go without connectivity for a while.

Or maybe.......

......Santa will leave me a TCU under the tree xmas eve.

The elephant in the room is when they say it is free up to MY 2015. My Leaf is a 2015 based on the in service date, but it was actually built in 2014.

I own the bad boy, so I am going to upgrade it regardless.

Jedlacks said:
The elephant in the room is when they say it is free up to MY 2015. My Leaf is a 2015 based on the in service date, but it was actually built in 2014.

Did they tell you that at a dealership? If so, I'd double check.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Jedlacks said:

Did they tell you that at a dealership? If so, I'd double check.
My local dealership had no idea what I was talking about, even after I explained to him the issue. That is when I called Nissan, and the rep told me he does not know and I will have to wait on the letter. I even offered up my vin, but he still said he could not check and I should call the dealership...smdh

If its for model year 2015 it does not matter what year the car was made. my15 is my15

GetOffYourGas said:
lpickup said:

Excellent question. Anyone with an early leaf replace your TCU yet :?:

Oh it wasn't a question...I would be absolutely blown away if that was the case!

We have a 2014 SV, and the TCU unit ID goes something like 2012-9603.... (8-digit number)

According to what's written upthread, that means it's 3G compatible. Is that so?

Thanks!

Jedlacks said:
I even offered up my vin, but he still said he could not check and I should call the dealership...smdh
FWIW, I received my letter today from Nissan which mentions the $199 cost (aka co-pay) and that the work should take 2 hours.

Assaf said:
We have a 2014 SV, and the TCU unit ID goes something like 2012-9603.... (8-digit number)

According to what's written upthread, that means it's 3G compatible. Is that so?

Thanks!

Don't rely on this. While the paper work they showed me looked official, it didn't specifically mention a case where 2012- is followed by 9. I've contacted two other local dealers but have no responses yet. Not sure if anyone associated with Nissan knows what's going on. Haven't received a letter myself. That may be the key. Even then, it may be a long wait for parts.

My letter came yesterday. While I like the ability to turn on the AC so the car is precooled before returning to the parking lot, I don't like it to the tune of an extra $199. I'll pass. :(

Back