NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DarthPuppy said:
My letter came yesterday. While I like the ability to turn on the AC so the car is precooled before returning to the parking lot, I don't like it to the tune of an extra $199. I'll pass. :(
I hear you. I did spend the money though as, here in the Maine winter with no garage, I defrost and pre-heat the car while plugged in. Saves me a trip out into the weather. And a few miles on the range.
Bonus, the 3G is definitely faster than 2G was. At least around here.

Got my letter Friday too. Unfortunately my dealer insisted that they must inspect my car first and will only order the part after that, so I cannot get it done during a single two hour appointment. Fortunately my car is already being towed in Tuesday because it is locked down in Emergency Shutoff mode for no apparent reason whatsoever. Oh wait, that's not fortunate at all. :evil:

IBeLeaf2 said:

I have long since believed the bottleneck is not in the communication between the vehicle and Nissan's servers, but between their servers and your app.

In fact, I have NOT had the upgrade done and have noticed the app (well, LeafManager, not the app itself which is a piece of garbage) has worked remarkably fast for the past week or so. It responds and confirms an HVAC on command in probably 15 seconds rather than a minute like it used to. I wonder if Nissan has changed something on their servers to improve service.

Actually I just timed it. The web site takes 1'37" (unbelievable!) to refresh the status.
The NissanConnect app only took 34"
The LeafManager widget took 48" (so a bit slower right now)

Does anyone know what this upgrade implies for Leafs on the used market? I advise people on used Leafs and my concern is for lease-return Leafs over the next few years

Two questions: A) will this upgrade be available for the foreseeable future, so that folks buying used Leafs can get it in 6 months, 1 year, two years...

B) Is there a way you can tell on a used car if it's had the upgrade? Hopefully, a buyer could start the car up, pull up a settings screen and get some indication.

If the answer to both A) and B) are no, this will hugely impact the used Leaf market, since used Leafs will be deaf and dumb.

Blind too, if you include no Nav.

IBeLeaf2 said:
DarthPuppy said:
My letter came yesterday. While I like the ability to turn on the AC so the car is precooled before returning to the parking lot, I don't like it to the tune of an extra $199. I'll pass. :(
I hear you. I did spend the money though as, here in the Maine winter with no garage, I defrost and pre-heat the car while plugged in. Saves me a trip out into the weather. And a few miles on the range.
With the car plugged in,shouldn't you be able to use the climate timer??

Lambtron said:
IBeLeaf2 said:
DarthPuppy said:
With the car plugged in,shouldn't you be able to use the climate timer??
I have used it some. But most days now I leave when I'm ready and usually don't know when that will be! One of the small problems with retirement.

Took my car in for this today. The dealer refused to preorder for me (I first called Dec. 6) and insisted on my bringing it in so they could "inspect" it to verify the part needed. Yet, all he did was look at my car's profile already in the computer.

He also stated that I am the first Leaf customer to request the upgrade, and was only beat by an ICE customer who already brought his car in but for whom they've neglected to order the part as well.

I will report back with how long it takes for them to get the part; he initially claimed it would be "1-2 days" but based on reports here, I'm skeptical.

I googled around for a "Telematics Control Unit" Nissan, and came across a few hits which clearly indicates that this particular part/item does not cost $199!

I am certain with dealer discounts, the part/item can be had for cheap! Is Nissan really give us a discount? Or are they making it "appear" like they are giving us all a discount?

I am really skeptical about the cost of this item and the installation. Given the situation that they should be obligated to replace our outdated TCU's, the total cost should be something more like $99 which seems fairer.

What do you think?

NOTE: Does anyone in the forum know this exact part number? I'd very much like to know the "market price" for this part. It looks like a very simple module, from the pictures of a similar items off the internet.

cwerdna said:
Jedlacks said:
I even offered up my vin, but he still said he could not check and I should call the dealership...smdh
FWIW, I received my letter today from Nissan which mentions the $199 cost (aka co-pay) and that the work should take 2 hours.

mxp said:
I googled around for a "Telematics Control Unit" Nissan, and came across a few hits which clearly indicates that this particular part/item does not cost $199!

I am certain with dealer discounts, the part/item can be had for cheap! Is Nissan really give us a discount? Or are they making it "appear" like they are giving us all a discount?

I am really skeptical about the cost of this item and the installation. Given the situation that they should be obligated to replace our outdated TCU's, the total cost should be something more like $99 which seems fairer.

What do you think?

NOTE: Does anyone in the forum know this exact part number? I'd very much like to know the "market price" for this part. It looks like a very simple module, from the pictures of a similar items off the internet.

cwerdna said:
Jedlacks said:
I even offered up my vin, but he still said he could not check and I should call the dealership...smdh
FWIW, I received my letter today from Nissan which mentions the $199 cost (aka co-pay) and that the work should take 2 hours.
No, but the letter stated it'd take 2 hours. I'd guess that the reimbursement rate to dealers for tech time is already $199 right there.

I haven't dug carefully but see https://parts.nissanusa.com/nissanparts/?selyear=2016&selmodel=LEAF&searchText=telematics&action=replacement&makeid=25&siteid=14&catalogID=0 stuff like this:
TELEPHONE - BOX-TELEMATIC
Part Code: 28275
Part Number: 282755ZA0A
Year range 8/2015 to 11/2016
Quantity per vehicle: 1

*MSRP: $2,286.22
Fits vehicle filters:
( BODY = 'HB' and BATTERY = '24KWH' and GRADE = 'SV' )
or ( BODY = 'HB' and BATTERY = '30KWH' )

Part Number: 282755ZA0C
Superseded to: 282755ZA0B
Year range 11/2016 to Present

*MSRP: $631.78
Fits vehicle filters:
( BODY = 'HB' and ( GRADE = 'SV'
or GRADE = 'SL' ) )
Not sure if this is right. I'm still digging around at http://www.courtesyparts.com/auto-parts/2016/nissan/leaf/sv-trim/electric-engine. I'd figure (but might be wrong) that since the 2016 has a 3G radio, that its part would be the one that would be placed in an '11 thru '15.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/?year=&make=&model=&search_str=telematic&p=catalog&mode=search&scat=&search_in=all turns up

Module
Part Number: 28275-5ZA0A
Browse more in COMMUNICATION SYSTEM COMPONENTS
Other Names: Box-Telematic
Description: Bluetooth phone system, 2013-16.

$2,286.22
$1,783.25 (discounted price)

Would be very curious to learn of the part number and parts counter price of whatever Nissan's installing for the $199.

mxp said:

Keep in mind the $199 includes what is reported at 2 hours of labor. Two hours of labour at any dealer is going to be somewhere around the $199 price. If you factor that in, the $199 isn't that bad of a deal.

Likewise, I haven't the background to know how these things fit internally. But when I saw this on eBay : http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMMUNICATION-CONTROL-MODULE-2013-NISSAN-LEAF-283883NF0A-/262324302352?hash=item3d13bf3210:g:A6QAAOSwr7ZW3cbL&vxp=mtr ...one of the reasons why I initially questioned the price of $199.

Back in the old days, when I owned my Audi cars, I had a Rosstech VAGCOM which I owned/used for many mods and module replacements. Some of these reprogramming/replacements can be quite simple with the right tools.

Before anyone hits back, please understand that I am just trying to make some sense of the effort required, and if special tooling is needed. i.e. Where is the location of the module? How many bolts to unbolt/wire harness to remove? If a special computer is required to initialize the TCU for operation? etc etc.

I wish, Phil the Ingineer is still around on our forums. Where is he these days?? 5 years ago, I purchased a Nissan part - and I paid him a small sum for his help to replace it. It was way, way cheaper than what the dealer originally quoted.

cwerdna said:
mxp said:

What do you think?

cwerdna said:
No, but the letter stated it'd take 2 hours. I'd guess that the reimbursement rate to dealers for tech time is already $199 right there.

I haven't dug carefully but see https://parts.nissanusa.com/nissanparts/?selyear=2016&selmodel=LEAF&searchText=telematics&action=replacement&makeid=25&siteid=14&catalogID=0 stuff like this:
Part Number: 282755ZA0A
Year range 8/2015 to 11/2016

*MSRP: $2,286.22
Fits vehicle filters:
( BODY = 'HB' and BATTERY = '24KWH' and GRADE = 'SV' )
or ( BODY = 'HB' and BATTERY = '30KWH' )

Part Number: 282755ZA0C
Superseded to: 282755ZA0B
Year range 11/2016 to Present

*MSRP: $631.78
Fits vehicle filters:
( BODY = 'HB' and ( GRADE = 'SV'
or GRADE = 'SL' ) )
Not sure if this is right. I'm still digging around at http://www.courtesyparts.com/auto-parts/2016/nissan/leaf/sv-trim/electric-engine. I'd figure (but might be wrong) that since the 2016 has a 3G radio, that its part would be the one that would be placed in an '11 thru '15.

I went to my dealership, Torre Nissan, La Quinta CA, today to schedule my upgrade. I specifically asked that they check on the part availability and preorder any part that was needed if they didn't have it in stock before I schedule the appointment. They checked and said there wasn't a part that was needed and that it was just a computer firmware upgrade. Then they said they would need the car most of the day (for a 2 hour job?!). So I will report back tomorrow on the results of my dealerships's competance, or lack thereof. :shock:

Ok. Pls keep us posted.

Its best to assume the service advisor (on the front-end) typically does not know any of the technical things. His job is primarily to keep customers happy.

The tech guys in the service dept, knows exactly what is required. In a sense, a new piece of hardware will be required because the new TCU will utilize the 3G or newer communications network. Its like getting rid of your old 2G phone for a new shiny 3G or better LTE network phone. You cannot re-program the old 2G device to talk to the 3G or newer communications network. The radios are different.

At least, what I said was for a MY 2011. Your newer Leaf might just be a re-program- who knows what the differences are in model year TCU variants...

Relayer1956 said:
I went to my dealership, Torre Nissan, La Quinta CA, today to schedule my upgrade. I specifically asked that they check on the part availability and preorder any part that was needed if they didn't have it in stock before I schedule the appointment. They checked and said there wasn't a part that was needed and that it was just a computer firmware upgrade. Then they said they would need the car most of the day (for a 2 hour job?!). So I will report back tomorrow on the results of my dealerships's competance, or lack thereof. :shock:

cwerdna said:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/?year=&make=&model=&search_str=telematic&p=catalog&mode=search&scat=&search_in=all turns up

Module
Part Number: 28275-5ZA0A
Browse more in COMMUNICATION SYSTEM COMPONENTS
Other Names: Box-Telematic
Description: Bluetooth phone system, 2013-16.

$2,286.22
$1,783.25 (discounted price)

Would be very curious to learn of the part number and parts counter price of whatever Nissan's installing for the $199.
I got my letter yesterday but had already had the 3G telematics put in last week. (See my earlier posts for more details on the process)

This is what http://www.courtesyparts.com says about the part number on my invoice.
TELEMATICS COMMUNICATION UNIT - NISSAN (283B0-3NF2A)
List Price: $281.10
You Save: $70.27 (25% off)
Sale Price: $210.83
Ships in 2 to 4 business days
ADD TO CART
GENUINE NISSAN PARTS
Nissan Parts
Manufacturer: Nissan
Part Number: 283B0-3NF2A
Part: Telematics Communication Unit
Replaces: 283B0-3NF0A

mxp said:
Before anyone hits back, please understand that I am just trying to make some sense of the effort required, and if special tooling is needed. i.e. Where is the location of the module? How many bolts to unbolt/wire harness to remove? If a special computer is required to initialize the TCU for operation? etc etc.
I wish, Phil the Ingineer is still around on our forums. Where is he these days?? 5 years ago, I purchased a Nissan part - and I paid him a small sum for his help to replace it. It was way, way cheaper than what the dealer originally quoted.

Judging from the repair manual page AV-575 it would be an easy replacement. The reason for the 2 hour time suggestion is that one needs to contact AT&T to unregister the old unit and then authorize the new. Not sure one can do that without proper credentials.

Jedlacks said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Jedlacks said:
The elephant in the room is when they say it is free up to MY 2015. My Leaf is a 2015 based on the in service date, but it was actually built in 2014.

I own the bad boy, so I am going to upgrade it regardless.

Did they tell you that at a dealership? If so, I'd double check.
My local dealership had no idea what I was talking about, even after I explained to him the issue. That is when I called Nissan, and the rep told me he does not know and I will have to wait on the letter. I even offered up my vin, but he still said he could not check and I should call the dealership...smdh

I just got back from having the airbag recall work done.

The person that scheduled my appointment did nothing to even note why I was coming in. Nevertheless, the service manager got me started and it all went faster than I would have imagined. He said 90 minutes, but they were done in less than 20 minutes.

I asked him about the telematics, and he checked said I am eligible for the free upgrade; I drive a 2015 SV manufactured in 2014. The "policy" at this dealership is the customer has to request it, then the parts are ordered. He said the letter is something else, and they have nothing to do with that. He also said the overwhelming majority of Leaf owners have the S, so the telematics upgrade is not as popular as one might think. He joked about it "blowing up on the boards", but the upgrade seemed a no-brainer to him. He commented that I was the first to have it done which I find hard to believe. Maybe there is something special about being told you are the first...lol.

For those interested, Part# 283B0-3NF2A. There is no cost listed on the invoice for the part or the labor.

"...I got to say today was a good day".

rumpole said:
Does anyone know what this upgrade implies for Leafs on the used market? I advise people on used Leafs and my concern is for lease-return Leafs over the next few years

Two questions: A) will this upgrade be available for the foreseeable future, so that folks buying used Leafs can get it in 6 months, 1 year, two years...

B) Is there a way you can tell on a used car if it's had the upgrade? Hopefully, a buyer could start the car up, pull up a settings screen and get some indication.

If the answer to both A) and B) are no, this will hugely impact the used Leaf market, since used Leafs will be deaf and dumb.

Blind too, if you include no Nav.

Didn't notice you had an answer, so here goes:
A) I believe it will be available for as long as any other parts on the Leaf are available (or at least until the 3G networks are shut down)
B) I think you can tell from the center console, but you may need a part number "table" to determine if it's a "new" modem (there were some "old" part numbers thrown around previously in the thread)

It has always been my opinion that Nissan values the telematics function, and the Leaf was one of the first cars to have this capability (and will continue to with the modem upgrade).

IBeLeaf2 said:
Judging from the repair manual page AV-575 it would be an easy replacement. The reason for the 2 hour time suggestion is that one needs to contact AT&T to unregister the old unit and then authorize the new. Not sure one can do that without proper credentials.

...and this is the key point that people don't realize. Anyone can physically replace the modem, but they can't register/authorize/connect the service. Without wireless service (which Nissan has decided to continue free of charge), the telematics function is useless.

Also see from service manual that VIN needs to be programmed in.
Since I own the original, and this is not warranty repair, do I
get to keep the original?

Back