Nissan towed my car beyond the range and wants me to get it.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you're on the hotline, have you tried going up the chain of command, supervisor after supervisor, until you get to someone who can authorize what you need? Sometimes works for me.

If not, can a lawyer help you?

Go pick up the LEAF from Lewis Nissan in Beckley. Drive it until you have completely run out of charge. Then call the Nissan hotline and request roadside assistance. "Nissan provides 3 years of complimentary roadside assistance"

http://livingleaf.info/2011/04/nissan-leaf-roadside-assistance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/charging-range/range/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NISSAN LEAF® ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE
WE GOT YOUR BACK

Nissan LEAF® provides you with plenty of info to help you get the most out of every charge. On the dash, the power meter tells you how much power you are using or gaining.

The low battery warning lights tell you well in advance if you are getting low, and the State of Charge meter regularly updates your charge status based on power use and your current driving style. And with available CARWINGS®, you can plan your trip ahead of time to avoid any trouble. [*] For additional peace of mind, Nissan provides 3 years of complimentary roadside assistance[See your Nissan dealer and read the Roadside Assistance section of your New Vehicle Limited Warranty Information Booklet for complete details and eligibility requirements.] with every Nissan LEAF®.

My initial statement to a supervisor would be - "I dropped it off at my local dealer, where I purchased it, and that is where I expect to pick it up" Nissan's problem it had to be sent off to some other town to get fixed.

Part of the issue about saying I dropped it off at the dealer is I didn't purchase it there. I tried to but they wouldn't even sell it to me for the advertised price. I went to Huntington, WV to purchase it. I it was the second leaf they ever sold. Both dealers assured me I could get the car repaired there. Now neither can repair it. Had I taken it to the dealer I got it from it would be even further away from where it is now. Had I knon that my local dealer wouldn't be able to work on the car a year after buying it I never would have bought it. I really wanted the Rav4ev but didn't get it after reading horror stories about getting it repaired outside of CA. I thought Leaf was the better choice. That, and it gets me into a tesla quicker.

I just got off the phone with the dealer. The car is not done. They are trying for the end of the week. It sounds like they haven't even started the work yet. I'm so tired of this one car living. I'm going to call Nissan to get a loaner and I'm going to keep it until this car is done. Ridiculous about sums up my experience.

I think you have a very good case for requesting Nissan buy you out of your lease. Tell them that you either need an arrangement for ongoing service and repair or you will begin persuing a lemon law action against them. I would imagine that there is language about the dealers inability to repair issues in a timely manner in your state. Typically there is a proscribed number of days for the life of the vehicle. May be time to start reading up on it.

AlanSqB said:
I think you have a very good case for requesting Nissan buy you out of your lease. Tell them that you either need an arrangement for ongoing service and repair or you will begin persuing a lemon law action against them. I would imagine that there is language about the dealers inability to repair issues in a timely manner in your state. Typically there is a proscribed number of days for the life of the vehicle. May be time to start reading up on it.

agreed, Nothing negative meant about WV but I don't think the Leaf and WV go together very well.

Just don't let the Kia Soul EV tempt you either since you'd have to go to NJ/MD to get it serviced and if a Kia dealer in WV starts selling it you'll end up in the same boat even with the extra range.

My suggestion:

1) Call 1-877-664-2738 and explain the situation. "My car was towed to a dealer that is out of range of my LEAF. There used to be a nearby certified LEAF dealer when I leased the car, and now there isn't. There are no charging stations between my home and the dealer. How do I get my car home from the dealership? How do I get warranty repairs and maintenance done in the future?" It will probably take a few days for you to push it up the chain of command until it reaches someone who can act. They will likely buy out your lease or work with the dealer to offer a fee tow when service is required. I'm thinking they will just buy out your lease.

2) Until NO-GAS-EV can provide a solution, you may want to just drive home until it turtles, then call 1-800-801-6161 for a tow home. This isn't ideal, but it will get your car home with no expense to you.

I don't believe you can take this to court since it would be no different than getting warranty work done on any other mobile product. It's your responsibility to get the product to them unless the warranty states otherwise.

Almost all dealers have a truck they can tow at least one car on, they do a lot of dealer trades that way. Or a company that is contracted to do that kind of thing all the time.

I'd recommend you ask them to take the car a certain distance and meet you.

What would you say your range is on your car now on this type of road? 62 miles where would you expect to run out of juice?

You also should be able to pump up the tires, 44psi cold is a safe range for summer time and fast driving so in the winter you can probably do 55psi. (I was running my stock tires at 48psi in the summer). Since you'll need someone to drive you there you have a car to draft on the way home, you mentioned a volt, not the best to draft but you could drive with the tail gate fully or part way up if it's not too cold. If you know anyone who can take you/lend you an SUV or Van that would probably be better. If you're going to get a rental that you can return locally after pick up and not have to return at the dealer then pick something big and blocky.

Car and driver used an excursion (with open tail gate) to get 121 mpg out of a first gen insight at 58mph avg speed.

Google showed 58.9 miles between those cities at just over an hour, so I assume some 65mph roads. It also shows an "avoid highway" route of 67 miles and an avg speed of 40mph. That should help a lot. You should be able to get 4.0 m/kWh at that speed with high PSI and a draft the whole way, do you have less than 75% battery capacity? That's what I'd guess you need to do it however it looks like it's about a 1900ft {edit it's a drop not rise} in elevation and I don't have enough experience with that kind of driving to comment. {edit you can do that!}

There looks to be a J1772 (blink) at the McDonalds just as you leave Charleston. Another at Lewis Nissan which is a little closer than the map put for Beckley. Is that the old dealer that is de certified, is the plug still there? Those 2 together might knock a couple miles off your trip.

Another tip that you can safely do while it's cold is a full or partial grill block. Since it's just for the one trip it doesn't have to be pretty, duct tape will do the job. That opening is designed to give cooling for the systems needs with 5 people, AC going and moving up a hill in 100F temps. You don't need air flow like that right now. You can also tape the hood/charge port openings (use a tape that comes off really easily).

Twofieros said:
...they then towed it from the dealer in Charleston to Beckley. It's been over two weeks and the car is supposed to be done tomorrow...
You need to drive from Beckley to Charleston, right?

Map your precise route using Google and follow instruction to get your trip profile from:

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/profile_input" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like you have ~1800 ft. net descent over ~ 59 miles.

Should be no problem starting with "100%" charge, driving at ~ 50-55 mph (on a clear day at or above ~ freezing) if you bundle up, and use minimal heating.

If you had to drive the other direction you might have a problem...

The car was supposed to be done today. I sure hope Twofieros isn't stranded by the roadside waiting for Nissan Roadside tow home.

I found out they only allow one free tow home per year.

Twofieros said:
I just got off the phone with the dealer. The car is not done. They are trying for the end of the week. It sounds like they haven't even started the work yet. I'm so tired of this one car living. I'm going to call Nissan to get a loaner and I'm going to keep it until this car is done. Ridiculous about sums up my experience.
This is part of what is so insane about car dealership approach in US.

If Nissan took responsibility to tow the vehicle to Beckley they should take responsibility to tow it back to Charleston. And yes, keep loaner vehicle till they bring it back.

Surprising that Lewis in Beckley is only one keeping LEAF certification. Town of 17,000 people.
I guess they have to try harder.
But small town dealerships are probably all losing money on being LEAF certified.
Most dealerships in small towns have disappeared.
Even Charleston and Huntingdon at 50,000 and 49,000 are relatively small towns.
But two of the three dealers just decided to quit losing $ and leave Nissan hanging out there with unhappy customers.

Nissan smarter move would be to offer you a low cost means to get out of the LEAF and into a different Nissan vehicle.
Having a LEAF if you don't have a servicing dealer within 35 to 40 miles round trip isn't very practical.

Appears Nissan has lost real LEAF availability in WV unless you live within 20 miles of Lewis Nissa in Beckley.
And how long will Lewis stick with it losing $ :?: :?:

edatoakrun said:
Twofieros said:
...they then towed it from the dealer in Charleston to Beckley. It's been over two weeks and the car is supposed to be done tomorrow...

Map your precise route using Google and follow instruction to get your trip profile from:

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/profile_input" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should be no problem starting with "100%" charge, driving at ~ 50-55 mph (on a clear day at or above ~ freezing) if you bundle up, and use minimal heating.

Looks like I read your post wrong, If you are taking it downhill from Beckley to Charleston you can do it!

If your car was unable to do it it would probably be under 70% and you'd get a new battery. Drive slow, use a blocker car to draft, pump up those tires. You shouldn't have a problem.

I used some online calculators (It's been forever since I've done it myself) and looks like you have about 2.4+ kWh worth of gravitational potential energy to gain going downhill. Approx 1500kg for the leaf, approx. 600m drop.
http://calculator.tutorvista.com/gravitational-potential-energy-calculator.html
http://rapidtables.com/convert/energy/Joule_to_kWh.htm

If your battery is just above 70% you'd have to average over 3.44 miles/kWh to just make it.

minispeed said:
edatoakrun said:
Twofieros said:

Looks like I read your post wrong, If you are taking it downhill from Beckley to Charleston you can do it!

If your car was unable to do it it would probably be under 70% and you'd get a new battery. Drive slow, use a blocker car to draft, pump up those tires. You shouldn't have a problem.

I used some online calculators (It's been forever since I've done it myself) and looks like you have about 2.4+ kWh worth of gravitational potential energy to gain going downhill. Approx 1500kg for the leaf, approx. 600m drop.
http://calculator.tutorvista.com/gravitational-potential-energy-calculator.html
http://rapidtables.com/convert/energy/Joule_to_kWh.htm

If your battery is just above 70% you'd have to average over 3.44 miles/kWh to just make it.
I think the concern will be the long steep grades (some 6-7% for 4-5 miles) and hairpin curves on the WV Turnpike. This is a beautiful drive but the grades are severe enough to see commercial trucks & buses run 75 downhill and 45 uphill on parts of this road. Energy economy will be poor due to a lot of on-off the brake activity. My own hunch is a LEAF with a battery in like-new condition can make this leg if driven carefully, but not by much. Maybe go easy on the uphills, fall in line and run with the slow trucks. Would actually like to run this road in my LEAF to experience the torque on the grades and how much regen can be done. The OP is correct, coming up short on battery will be very bad as no place to recharge.

rogersleaf said:
I think the concern will be the long steep grades (some 6-7% for 4-5 miles) and hairpin curves on the WV Turnpike. This is a beautiful drive but the grades are severe enough to see commercial trucks & buses run 75 downhill and 45 uphill on parts of this road. Energy economy will be poor due to a lot of on-off the brake activity. My own hunch is a LEAF with a battery in like-new condition can make this leg if driven carefully, but not by much. Maybe go easy on the uphills, fall in line and run with the slow trucks. Would actually like to run this road in my LEAF to experience the torque on the grades and how much regen can be done. The OP is correct, coming up short on battery will be very bad as no place to recharge.
I agree that 62 miles and 1800 ft of net descent, that is almost 3 kWh of additional energy for free compared to a flat route. It should be easy with temps above freezing if you keep speeds below 65 mph. Short bursts above that speed won't matter much as long as you aren't consuming energy.

With a '13 LEAF with no bars lost, keep the speed to 65 mph (or follow 2 seconds behind a larger vehicle if you must go faster) and as slow as possible on the one significant climb in the middle (45 mph behind a truck/bus would be great as you indicate) and you should make it with range to spare. Time the drive for the middle of the day when temps are warmest (50F) and just follow the slowest vehicle on the road to pace your self. Slower is more efficient! Make sure your tires are inflated to 40-42 psi, cold and use your steering wheel / seat heater to stay warm only turning on defrost as needed. Plan on getting towed the rest of the way home and then when you make it, you'll be very happy.

Now if you were going the other direction - I agree - you wouldn't make it for sure in the winter.

Sorry to have gone silent for a bit. The car still isn't done. Now I'm being told they hope to be done by the end of the week but they cannot promise anything. Nissan will NOT tow the car back to me or the dealership I dropped it off at so I'll find out if the car will make the journey. If it does on the way they assure me roadside assistance will tow it the rest. As for future repairs. That's anyone's guess. Even the EV (haha autocorrect tried to change EV to Arab. I wasn't thinking racial but oil.) hotline doesn't have a solution for how to handle future service needs. I still don't have a loaner. I won't be off the phone today until I have answers. This is going to be a three week repair, maybe more.

drees said:
.... and just follow the slowest vehicle on the road....Make sure your tires are inflated to 40-42 psi....

If you're getting dropped off you can make sure the vehicle in front of you is the slowest vehicle on the road. The downside to drafting trucks I've always found is that they like to go faster than I want to go. I did some informal tests in my insight, if a truck is going 5-8mph over the limit and I draft at a safe distance I burnt more fuel than if I kept at a slower 5-8 mph under the limit pace and moved my own air. Since you'll know the driver in front of you if they keep to 5-8 under they move the air for you and you get the best of both worlds. If you find a big semi going those speeds it would be best for them to drop behind you and let you draft the semi. If you're drafting a car you can also look through their windows for added safety and if they both have Bluetooth you can constantly be connected in case the other driver sees something you can't.

I also think you'll be safe at 51psi for the tires. Remember tires are quoted in cold pressure for year round anywhere in the world conditions. If the ecopias can handle 44 cold then when driven in the desert heat at 85mph they will expand to well over 51psi. I have my winter tires set to 50psi cold (they can take 51) and during my 65mph drive they heat to 53-54. I had my ecopias at 48 psi cold in August (which was very cool) and saw them heat to 55 psi.

I also read a post on here a long time back that mentioned if you are going downhill and coasting gives you enough speed that aerodynamic drag rises (probably 55+) you're better to use regen and put it in the battery than neutral coast so don't follow those trucks at 75 mph downhill.

What's the traffic like on this route? 2 or more lanes the whole way?

Latest posts

Back