Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If he was talking about this: http://www.ctmirror.org/story/2013/11/22/connecticut-ev-buyers-malloy-has-deal-you" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then he got it wrong. This sounds like more L2s.

BTW, service manager Steve in Auburn let slip that he could charge for QC after 3 years if he wants, but says he won't.

So, Nissan's deal might be assistance to put it in, in exchange for a 3 yr commitment to free QC?

DNAinaGoodWay said:
If he was talking about this: http://www.ctmirror.org/story/2013/11/22/connecticut-ev-buyers-malloy-has-deal-you" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then he got it wrong. This sounds like more L2s.

That story mentions a utility funding L2's, so I don't think Nissan is involved. Has Nissan ever been directly involved in funding L2's, except perhaps at dealerships?

He could be talking about an L3 deal that is still in negotiation and not officially announced. This would be the type of partnership which would interest Nissan more.

Oly Nissan has a fast charger now and a bunch of L2s although most are in the service area but not locked up but guessing they will be off after hours. i asked them about off hours use and they claim they dont lock up the lot at night (although I am pretty sure they do) so will be checking them out one night soon to see how accessible the charger is and it uses nothing but a start button

Autonation Delray FL is getting a QC station installed, the unit is in place right in front of the showroom, waiting to be hooked up to power. Never thought I would see the day.

just found out that Puyallup Nissan also has a fast charger. that is two within 30 miles of me and was not even aware they were coming. I think the dealers need to be more proactive about advertising these!

And that's a problem. It's one thing to not know about a future install, but when a dealer has had it up and running for a month, and we have to find it by chance or searching, something is wrong. The dealers could simply post it on PlugShare themselves, but they have no clue. Nissan could simply give us a list of participating dealers, regardless of where they are in the process, and let us watch them and do the postings, filling in pertinent details on terms of use, etc.

So why dont't they? I've recently exchanged a few emails with Brian Brockman, asking him for just a list of names and locations, and he says:

"Thanks for your note and your offer to post the info on the DCQC network. I do drive a LEAF on a daily basis, so I understand the value to public charging. I don't require it on a frequently, but have used it enough around Nashville to get the confidence that it could provide, particularly for someone who has had the car for a longer period of time.

We haven't posted that list for a couple of reasons, mainly due to concerns on keeping it accurate, and becuase of the variation in terms (hours, access, etc.) could create expectations that wouldn't be met. Once on PlugShare, Recargo, etc., the info is spelled out clearly, and I am told Recargo gets updated pretty quickly when one of the QCs comes online.

That said, we've seen the discussions here on MNL, and the infrastructure team has been developing something that we can either post or link to on the forum. This is something that we should be able to provide, and have likely just been overthinking it. It's a challenge to be forward looking with this info, since permitting, installation and other factors can really create unexpected lead times in getting a station operational. BUt, we should be able to get you all something, especially given the amount of effort being put in on this end.

Again, thanks for your note and support with LEAF. If you ever want to reach out. Feel free to do so here, or to be at [email protected].

Brian"

I followed up with:

"
Thank you for the quick response. I'm impressed that you drive a LEAF, it puts us on the same page. It's a new way of relating to driving, and you really need to experience it to understand the subtle differences.

If I may, you and the infrastructure team are definitely over thinking this. Just like Mr. Ghosn overruled his engineers to get the car to market, you need to just put the list out there. Please don't worry about it being inaccurate, it will be. We don't care. Or rather, we will visit the dealers listed, discover the accurate information, and disseminate the information as appropriate, making corrections as needed. It will be better than what we're doing now, discovering them by talking to dealers on the phone, many of whom are confused as to what a QC is, or finding them by random chance.

This is a unique opportunity for you to tap into the voice of the customer, and create a collaborative relationship with enthusiastic end users.

What your being told about PlugShare and Recargo is wrong. They merged months ago, and were supposed to combine the databases into one, under the PlugShare name, but it has yet to happen. Technical difficulties I imagine. But the main point is that the vast majority of EV drivers only use PlugShare. Being crowd sourced databases, we don't want to be constantly duplicating entries, especially when the two entities are supposed to merge.

Crowd sourcing gives us the the ability to correct inaccuracies with amazing speed. For example: Clay Nissan in Norwood MA told us over the phone that they had not one, but two CHAdeMO, and we updated their PlugShare page. The very next day, a LEAF driver who had seen the update visited the dealer and "checked-in" on PlugShare to say there was no QC, only L2, and we updated the page again, correcting the inaccuracy immediately.  No other drivers will be inconvenienced.

But it's the installations that we don't know about that are the real problem. Dealers have installed them, and no one knows. Dealers will be installing them, and we understand about install delays, but prior knowledge of the upcoming event will allow us to monitor them like hawks and update PlugShare the moment the CHAdeMO is usable. We'll discover and post the accurate terms of use, because we need to know this information to plan our trips.

Brian, if you'll trust us as customers, you'll earn a lot of goodwill, and we'll do some of the team's job for them. The very items you guys are worrying over, are what we are best suited to handle. We will take the list, and make the information accurate, because it is in our vested interests to do so."

To which he replies:

"Completely respect your point of view, and you're likely 100 percent correct. We'll work on that, as the discussion we had earlier today falls almost right in line with your points below. We're probably not getting the credit for what we are doing, and creating frustration for you all in the process. Now, on to actually getting the data out there..."

Then me:

"Quick follow up. Re-read your messages in case I overlooked anything, and sounds like your team has been trying to recreate what PlugShare does in some way, and the details worry and frustrate them. Therein lies the problem, it's counterproductive to try to re-create what already works. To do it right, you would need "tires on the ground" an army of drivers visiting dealers, updating details, posting photos, and that's what you already have. So, again, the best way forward is the simplest, just post a list of names and locations, whether installed or planned, and you'll find a grassroots army of drivers eager to get the correct info posted to PlugShare."

And Brian's final reply:

"Definitely not trying to recreate the wheel. It was more a debate of how much info would be needed, how it gets updated, where it is posted, etc."

And that's where it stands. That was a week ago, a short time in the corporate world perhaps, but a game changer if you're trying to plan a long Christmas trip and there are installed QCs out there that you could use, if you could only find them.

So, c'mon Brian and team! You can still do whatever it is you're going to do eventually, but in the mean time, throw us a bone and just give us the names. We NEED to know. If you choose not to, we'll still search them out, because we need them, but we'll like Nissan a little better if you do.

Can we assign this to the LAB? Anyone have a straw for the camel?

DaveinOlyWA said:
just found out that Puyallup Nissan also has a fast charger. that is two within 30 miles of me and was not even aware they were coming. I think the dealers need to be more proactive about advertising these!
Sure would be nice if Nissan would publish a list of these locations, like DNA has requested.

KJD said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Sure would be nice if Nissan would publish a list of these locations, like DNA has requested.

publishing a list could be trouble especially one that shows "upcoming" stations cause it could cause a disruption to the dealership with traffic "checking status"

the other thing is how the dealers will allow use. some may only save it for their customers, etc. BUT, the thing that gets me is both Puyallup and Olympia claim their charger is available to all and they back that statement by neither using a Fob. you pull up, plug in, press start

What gets me is I have a dialogue with these people and they did not even bother to tell me about the charger until I was 2 hours into my paperwork. the charger is EXACTLY where two L2's were so I did not notice it until they brought one over to plug in to charge it for customer delivery.

This is a MAJOR selling point and competition between dealers on this should stop. Most dealers share regional advertising costs where they put money in a pool and it pays a share of regional, national and local TV/radio ads. For example, a LEAF ad on local TV here covers everything from Everett (20 miles north of Seattle) to Centrailia (30 miles South of Olympia) with a dozen Nissan dealers in between.

The LEAF should be marketed regionally with the ongoing fast charger expense shared regionally. that way, Oly can sell the LEAF using the Puyallup charger (30 miles down the road and well positioned as a pit stop coming home from Seattle) as a selling point

BrianBrockman said:
We haven't posted that list for a couple of reasons, mainly due to concerns on keeping it accurate, and becuase of the variation in terms (hours, access, etc.) could create expectations that wouldn't be met. Once on PlugShare, Recargo, etc., the info is spelled out clearly, and I am told Recargo gets updated pretty quickly when one of the QCs comes online.
Every single QC station should be available 24x7. Anything less than that and Nissan should find a different location. No exceptions guys.

KJD said:
BrianBrockman said:
Every single QC station should be available 24x7. Anything less than that and Nissan should find a different location. No exceptions guys.

not possible at the Nissan dealership in Oly. they are on a hill with fairly steep drive up into the lot with NO street parking or such around them. it would be a logistical nightmare to put the charger somewhere outside the lot. so the other question is whether the lot is locked at night.

this I will find out tonight since I will be just down the street on a job. will swing by to see whether I can get a charge at midnight or not

KJD said:
BrianBrockman said:

I used to agree, but, I've discovered that some dealers, located in very rough neighborhoods, can't risk after hours access. I can't blame them. So, I'm willing to settle for limited access to QC at some locations as preferable to none at all.

But, teaching dealers to post their QC on PlugShare once it's installed should be standard practice.

Imagine if the guy doing the 900 mile Christmas adventure missed a QC because of Nissan's failure to communicate? We can find them on our own, but it's poor customer relations.

well without adding it up, my best guess on the score is probably

EV community 42 Nissan 3. (just about anyone deserves a meaningless field goal...)

I do see Nissan scoring a TD here and there but they have a LONG way to go to contribute to EV support as much as we have. We now have crowdsourcing to find chargers, apps that tell us how far we can go down to the last mile, etc.

IOW; as any motivated community goes; we have taken a good product and made it MUCH better. that is normal but there are a few things I still scratch my head over... :?

Is it possible to create our own searchable or sortable database of QC's, either on this forum, or referenced to it? I can invision a minimum of:
State
City
Street Address
Zip Code
Business Name
Status (Operational, Expected Operational Date, etc.)
Cost

Additional Data if possible:
Photos
User Comments

If it was set up as a Thread on this forum then the first post could be edited to update the info. The creator of the thread would have to keep editing the first post for any changes. In this case the list would start by State, with City listings under each state so we could find what we are looking for.

If we just use Plugshare, the all active QC's would have to be entered there but we could keep a list of future installs as we learn of them. Better that the info is not spread through 78 or more pages of comments, but keep the first post on the thread updated.

just my 2 cents

Frank

Frank, have you tried PlugShare yet? It has all the data you asked for, and it's crowd-sourced. You can filter by station type too.

http://www.plugshare.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is this old map that was being used back during the summer to keep track of QC installations. It hasn't been updated in a while, probably because PlugShare is widely used at this point.

Nissan just needs to release the list of dealers that have signed onto the program. We don't care if it's a Nissan QC, an Eaton QC, a QC that's on the ChargePoint network, a QC that requires a dealer keyfob, limited hours, 24 hours, or only accessible to people with green eyes. We can figure all that out once we know where to look!

Mr. Brockman made the following post on October 9th in response to my request for more information on the QC rollout:

BBrockman said:
NYLEAF: Yes. QCs have been going in at a number of new locations. I will post an update with the latest info shortly. We typically leave it to the local dealer to promote availability of their own QC since they set the rules for access.

That was over 2 months ago. The time frame for "shortly" has passed.

KJD said:
All Nissan has to do is to take a queue from the DC QC leader - Tesla Motors. Simply publish a list of dealers with established and upcoming DC QC stations along with whatever details they may want to provide.

Then provide a link to PlugShare to get up-to-date details.

Graffi said:
Is it possible to create our own searchable or sortable database of QC's, either on this forum, or referenced to it?
Most of what you describe is redundant with PlugShare / Recargo. We don't need another database.

Anyone can go and update PlugShare / Recargo, I suggest doing that. It won't be long before PlugShare / Recargo are fully merged.

NYLEAF said:
There is this old map that was being used back during the summer to keep track of QC installations. It hasn't been updated in a while, probably because PlugShare is widely used at this point.
Yes, I was maintaining that list using crowd sourced data from reports in this thread. PITA to do. Much easier to simply update PlugShare, though it was kind of nice having a list of Nissan dealers with QC stations. If anyone really wants that, they can simply create a page on the wiki.

Dana from Tacoma Nissan advises they also have one. Just hoping their definition of "fast charger" is the same as ours. Will hold judgment until someone posts a pix to verify

NYLEAF said:

Nissan just needs to release the list of dealers that have signed onto the program. We don't care if it's a Nissan QC, an Eaton QC, a QC that's on the ChargePoint network, a QC that requires a dealer keyfob, limited hours, 24 hours, or only accessible to people with green eyes. We can figure all that out once we know where to look!

Mr. Brockman made the following post on October 9th in response to my request for more information on the QC rollout:

BBrockman said:
NYLEAF: Yes. QCs have been going in at a number of new locations. I will post an update with the latest info shortly. We typically leave it to the local dealer to promote availability of their own QC since they set the rules for access.

That was over 2 months ago. The time frame for "shortly" has passed.

I would agree that Mr. Brockman has dropped the communications ball quite a number of times over the past several months since he initially showed up here.

Back