Nissan to announce official Battery Replacement Program soon

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never seen the details of the program...not sure anyone has. I've read that they want to lease the owner a battery for $100/mo. That is fine, but I also read that in order to enter the program you must give them your original battery. Why can't I keep it and if I decide not to lease any longer, put my original back in. This is where the "steal" comes into play. I'm not sure it is stealing if you sign a paper that says they can take it, but it is practically stealing if they take something I own, and I never get it back and get nothing for it.

thankyouOB said:
it is stealing the battery if Nissan does not offer anything for it and at the same time offers the same battery lease price to a person who leases the car and does not own it or the battery.
If you believe this kind of contorted logic, you have far bigger problems than battery replacements.

Nobody is forcing you to "give" your battery. You don't need to accept Nissan's terms if you don't have to.

If you think for buyers it is unfair to have to pay the same lease fee as leasers (a highly questionable statement) - then say that it is unfair. Don't demagogue it by saying "stealing" - implying taking it away without your approval. It is demagoguery because you don't want to actually say what your issue is - but put it in such words so that a much, much more sinister motivation is conveyed to the casual reader.

That is exactly what demogogues do - not that they have no issues - but they put it in such words as to greatly amplify the problem to further their own agenda.

You apparently want the first large OEM to spend Billions on EVs to fail.

What is your real agenda ?

palmermd said:
I've never seen the details of the program...not sure anyone has.

Nothing's confirmed until it's announced, of course, but the US LAB members have had input into the program several times during its development.

Personally, I dreaded the last announcement. But based on what I've seen since, I'm looking forward to this one.

evnow said:
If you believe this kind of contorted logic, you have far bigger problems than battery replacements.

Nobody is forcing you to "give" your battery. You don't need to accept Nissan's terms if you don't have to.

If you think for buyers it is unfair to have to pay the same lease fee as leasers (a highly questionable statement) - then say that it is unfair. Don't demagogue it by saying "stealing" - implying taking it away without your approval. It is demagoguery because you don't want to actually say what your issue is - but put it in such words so that a much, much more sinister motivation is conveyed to the casual reader.

Wait, so what would you call this situation, where very unfavorable terms are offered to someone under duress?

Everyone who bought the car cannot simply quit a lease and get a new one and has put considerable money into it.
Without a replacement battery, that money is going to evaporate, since the car ceases to function as range drops below a certain threshold, i.e the length of my commute.

At this point, I can either take Nissan's offer to keep my car operational or face a major financial loss, far in excess of what I would have to pay for a new battery. If I didnt like Nissans offer, I would have to buy a new car and sell the old one for next to nothing, where all I really needed was "just" a new battery.

Needless to say, from an environmental perspective, that probably would nullify any positive impact that driving an EV might have had.

Since Nissan seems to have a monopoly on this part, I dont think as an owner you are really in a free market where you have a choice.

well put.
but you should be prepared for an attack on your integrity, including a claim that you are a tool for big oil, even if you have had solar for years and bought the LEAF, hoping to be part of a breakthrough effort.

thankyouOB, I am totally with you. We know the traction battery is worth something. But to just give it away and pay a monthly fee is stupid. In this case being called a troll for big oil is a badge of honor. Let the stick your head in the sand Nissan fanboys call you all of the names they want. Loyalty is one thing, blind loyalty is something all together different.

thankyouOB said:
well put.
but you should be prepared for an attack on your integrity, including a claim that you are a tool for big oil, even if you have had solar for years and bought the LEAF, hoping to be part of a breakthrough effort.

klapauzius said:
Wait, so what would you call this situation, where very unfavorable terms are offered to someone under duress?

Everyone who bought the car cannot simply quit a lease and get a new one and has put considerable money into it.
Without a replacement battery, that money is going to evaporate, since the car ceases to function as range drops below a certain threshold, i.e the length of my commute.

At this point, I can either take Nissan's offer to keep my car operational or face a major financial loss, far in excess of what I would have to pay for a new battery. If I didn't like Nissans offer, I would have to buy a new car and sell the old one for next to nothing, where all I really needed was "just" a new battery.
While the previously announced program isn't technically a Steal Your Battery program, I still feel that SYB captures the spirit of what Nissan was offering--an open ended lease for a new battery that you have to keep paying for or they "steal" (repossess) your new battery. Since you couldn't buy a battery under that program, and there was no way to end the lease with a buyout, you had to keep paying the piper to be able to drive your car at all. Not something I would be interested in, but no other options were offered to keep a reasonable range on your Leaf. Lets hope they came up with some better options in the new plan to be announced "soon".

evchels said:
Personally, I dreaded the last announcement. But based on what I've seen since, I'm looking forward to this one.

I assume "seen" as in "seen what Nissan is doing different than last time"?

I sure hope this means they offer a replacement battery for sale. Anything else would seem still dreadful to me.

So what if they said you could keep your battery but now the lease on the new battery is $120/mo.. or $150/mo... It's what, a 650lb slab? Where are you going to keep it? Or is it 48 modules.. just set aside some closet space and stack them up...? I'm curious what you have in mind for the old battery...

GregH said:
So what if they said you could keep your battery but now the lease on the new battery is $120/mo.. or $150/mo... It's what, a 650lb slab? Where are you going to keep it? Or is it 48 modules.. just set aside some closet space and stack them up...? I'm curious what you have in mind for the old battery...

Backing up my PV system?

They never finalized it because of the reaction they have received from us. Back to the drawing board!

Bottomline? Nissan AND us are both waiting for a step up batt chemistry. This is why Esflow stalled as well. It may even go beyond lizard. They have 2 years, they know it and they may wait that long... :cry:

ILETRIC said:
They never finalized it because of the reaction they have received from us. Back to the drawing board!
If that's really what has happened you have to give them credit for listening. Social media gives companies a way to float trial balloons and gauge reaction. In this case they quickly detected the balloon was made of lead, although I often wonder if big data is a poor substitute for a little common sense.

LTLFTcomposite said:
ILETRIC said:
If that's really what has happened you have to give them credit for listening. Social media gives companies a way to float trial balloons and gauge reaction. In this case they quickly detected the balloon was made of lead, although I often wonder if big data is a poor substitute for a little common sense.

They have been getting feedback from the LAB and the opinions expressed on this Forum have not significantly changed. I feel the delay is probably caused by the timing of the announcement and the release of the 2015 model.

Yes, the reactions and feedback have made a huge difference. Those expressed here and on an ongoing basis by the LAB, but also the group at the AZ dinner with the Nissan team last August (TickTock, Turbo2ltr, TomT, jhm614, shrink, PHXsmiley, jstack6 and Jerry Asher). It has all helped. I know that's vague, and it's not my intent to add to the frustration- only to reassure a little while we wait (which I still don't expect to last beyond the end of the month).

thankyouOB said:
it is stealing the battery if Nissan does not offer anything for it and at the same time offers the same battery lease price to a person who leases the car and does not own it or the battery.
I wanted to directly address this weird logic.

- You are assuming they aren't "offering anything for the battery". It is obvious that they meant to take the salvage value of the battery off of the new battery when calculating the monthly lease rate.

- "offers the same battery lease price to a person who leases the car and does not own it or the battery" : There are several possibilities here. Since the full program was never published we don't know the exact details. Let us take one scenario of returning the old battery to lease the new one. In this case, I don't particularly understand why someone who is leasing the car would want to exchange the battery - since it is still under warranty. In case it has severely degraded because of the miles put on (far in excess of the usual mileage) - the leaser would pay the price in terms of mileage. As for as Nissan is concerned they are getting back a degraded battery that has the same salvage value, whether leased or owned. So I don't see why the lease on the new battery would be any different.

So, stop the silly hyperbole and let us all discuss thus like adults.

evchels said:
Yes, the reactions and feedback have made a huge difference. Those expressed here and on an ongoing basis by the LAB, but also the group at the AZ dinner with the Nissan team last August (TickTock, Turbo2ltr, TomT, jhm614, shrink, PHXsmiley, jstack6 and Jerry Asher). It has all helped. I know that's vague, and it's not my intent to add to the frustration- only to reassure a little while we wait (which I still don't expect to last beyond the end of the month).

If Nissan plans to release this by the end of June, they would probably wait until Friday at the end of the business day. This will allow everyone to think about it over the weekend and not stress out their customer support people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back