Nissan Tests 48-kWh LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
o00scorpion00o said:
The kia soul EV is coming soon.

It's battery has got thermal management and is a very good alternative to the Leaf.

Those who fast change a lot and get their battery got should seriously consider the soul. It should have a good bit extra winter range too.

I saw the Kia Soul EV at an event at Google earlier this year. The display EV had a forced air system in the rear that was used to blow air over the battery pack. I haven't seen any specs on the thermal management system soI wonder how effective it is when doing QC.

o00scorpion00o said:
The kia soul EV is coming soon.

It's battery has got thermal management and is a very good alternative to the Leaf.

Those who fast change a lot and get their battery got should seriously consider the soul. It should have a good bit extra winter range too.

whats the price? and have to say its another "100 mile EV claim" to me until we can see some more testing in the field. Yes, a few have reported very good numbers but its only 4 kwh more and that should be well over 100 miles (i am getting roughly 96 miles on my 2013)

but I am fearing that its another "great product priced too high" thing

DanCar said:
o00scorpion00o said:
The kia soul EV ... a very good alternative to the Leaf.
No price has been announced and they said it would sell in small numbers.

oh thats right! another compliance car. i was wondering why i had put so little effort into learning more about it.

No the soul is being sold in the E.U soon and the U.S follows in 2015.

Initially it was to be low volume but they changed their decision.

No word on price yet, I don't think it will see 100 miles but a heated battery in winter should see a decent bit more range than the leaf.

I think it will be a long time yet before sales of ice cars are threatened.

Most people don't care what powers a car as long as it's affordable.

In the U.S there must be far less incentive to buy electrics because cars and fuel is a lot cheaper than In the E.U, so you'd think that In the E.U EV sales would be far greater than they are.

o00scorpion00o said:

In the U.S there must be far less incentive to buy electrics because cars and fuel is a lot cheaper than In the E.U, so you'd think that In the E.U EV sales would be far greater than they are.

your words are true which means we are screwing it up. increasing the cost of gas cars should be the #1 priority right now along with getting more types of EVs out there in a greater price range.

as it stands, gas should be going great guns for another 20 years and that only gives them 20 years to figure out how to go another 20 years which is exactly what they have been doing the past 20 years

DaveinOlyWA said:
o00scorpion00o said:

your words are true which means we are screwing it up. increasing the cost of gas cars should be the #1 priority right now along with getting more types of EVs out there in a greater price range.

as it stands, gas should be going great guns for another 20 years and that only gives them 20 years to figure out how to go another 20 years which is exactly what they have been doing the past 20 years

I think the first mention of increasing fuel costs or ice costs would bring havoc to any Government. It makes the case for electrics rather difficult.

As people clue in to the economics of driving electric and as manufacturers get out of the 23kw battery mode,
electrics will take off on their own.

Zurc.

Zurc said:
As people clue in to the economics of driving electric and as manufacturers get out of the 23kw battery mode,
electrics will take off on their own.

Zurc.

Yes and No, Electrics still have to be proven and while the leaf is reliable there are a few obstacles to over come, The battery will loose around 20% capacity after about 100K miles as Steve Marsh has shown, or In the U.K Nikki Gordon Bloomfield's Leaf is down 20% after 59K miles.

Nikki's capacity loss is from high use of the fast charger to travel the length and breath of the U.K and Nikki will say that she thinks this is perfectly acceptable given the technology, and maybe it is or it isn't, the point being people expect a modern car to last 150K miles and more without having to spend a lot of money on the car to repair a vital component.

Imagine being down 20% after 60 K miles ? that means in winter you now have about 48 miles range, this is simply not acceptable in a modern car by the majority of the non ev enthusiast world.

That's 48 miles on a 100% charge, a qc means an 80% charge and an 80% charge of a 20% degraded battery means 38.4 miles, this is ridiculous.

And then for Nissan to turn around and say you've to loose 30% before it's replaced ? I mean that is hilarious, while end of life in the battery manufacturers world might be 70% remaining capacity, this isn;t acceptable in a low range car.

To make things worse, in Ireland we're not allowed to lease the leaf battery because Nissan Ireland fear that people won't touch an ev that if you have to lease the battery. The other problem Nissan Ireland have is what to do with spent batteries ?

I tried explaining that I will not buy a car that I have no option to replace the battery and I won;t buy 2nd hand if I can't replace the battery, I asked Nissan Ireland, what do you think the first question someone buying a 2nd hand leaf will ask ? it's going to be what condition is the battery in ? how long will it last ?

But we do have a fascination with owning everything here, be it property or cars, leasing is not a popular option.

Anyway I told Nissan Ireland that my only option is to lease the car on pcp or buy a Renault Zoe, they only allow leasing, you can not buy the car with the battery.

PCP at my usual anual mileage of about 20K miles per year would mean that leasing would work out as expensive as buying the whole car outright so I would not put that much money into a car without owning it.

With the Renault Zoe I could buy it outright and it would replace the 14 year old Honda CRV , when I'm finished with the Zoe the new EV would replace the Prius.

IF I buy a Leaf I have absolutely no option to replace the battery and so will be useless as a 2nd car because we'll need at least 64 miles per day range for the 2nd car as my partner will use it to get to work and back.

So at last I'm getting to the point, in the U.S you can lease or even buy a brand new battery for your leaf, but leasing or replacing the battery means that the gap between ice and ev is significantly narrowed, it will still be cheaper but not nearly as much as if you didn't need to replace the battery.

I worked out that the Zoe over 100,000 miles would work out about 5-6K Euro's cheaper over the Diesel Renault Cloe if averaging 58 mpg ( that's 48.29 U.S), the clio is advertised by Renault as a 90 mpg, (74.29 U.S) so it's possible you could get higher mpg.

The whole battery thing makes the case for electrics much much harder.

Granted for a lot of people 100K miles could be 10 years driving others 5, some even less. There are a lot of people who like to buy old cars and who can't afford new ones. And I don;t think anyone wants to buy a 2nd hand car to face putting several thousand $$$$ or €€€€.

I'm leaning now towards the Kia soul, if for no other reason than it's thermal controlled battery. Future electrics won;t have such an issue such as the Model S 85 Kwh because the battery is so big that even a 30% loss means 180 miles range, far more practical than 30-38 miles range.

The Zoe is another alternative because of it's brilliant AC charger, so many charge points here are 22 kw and a lot of qc 44 kw. But Renault decided not to heat the battery. BMW have an option for the I3 but the price of that car is a bit mad.

Though if you think about it the BMW starts about 33K Euro's , if I bought the Zoe highest spec for 20K Euro's and leased the battery for 10 years on the highest lease plan it would take 10 years worth of driving to match the BMW's starting price !

o00scorpion00o said:
I think the first mention of increasing fuel costs or ice costs would bring havoc to any Government. It makes the case for electrics rather difficult.
+1
A universal world wide carbon tax may be the right thing to do.
But it is politically a complete non-starter.
Dead On Arrival.
Even Australia which had boldly embraced a carbon tax eliminated it a few weeks back.

Politically may be able to get rid of some or all of the subsidies and tax breaks that petroleum receives, but new taxes is not going to happen.

Carbon reduction is going to be dependent on renewable sources being cheaper than petroleum.

So far it isn't looking too good.
In some cases they are cost effective.
But the growth rate of energy use is so high in China they cannot meet it with only renewables and nuclear.
Therefore they keep building more coal plants.

They might be all electric vehicles in 20 years.
But they will be powering them with coal plants.

o00scorpion00o said:
Anyway I told Nissan Ireland that my only option is to lease the car on pcp

You lost me there. I'm not sure what you mean by pcp. I'm assuming you don't mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phencyclidine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PCP was first synthesized in 1926, and was developed by Parke-Davis under the tradename named Sernyl in the 1950s as an anesthetic but because of its long half-life and adverse side effects, such as hallucinations, mania, delirium, and disorientation, it was removed from the market in 1965 and limited to veterinary use.

dhanson865 said:
o00scorpion00o said:

You lost me there. I'm not sure what you mean by pcp. I'm assuming you don't mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phencyclidine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PCP was first synthesized in 1926, and was developed by Parke-Davis under the tradename named Sernyl in the 1950s as an anesthetic but because of its long half-life and adverse side effects, such as hallucinations, mania, delirium, and disorientation, it was removed from the market in 1965 and limited to veterinary use.

LOL PCP in this instance means Personal Contract Plan. A type of lease. :mrgreen:

o00scorpion00o said:
dhanson865 said:
o00scorpion00o said:

LOL PCP in this instance means Personal Contract Plan. A type of lease. :mrgreen:

I had visions of a guy in a dealership with drugs in one hand a contract in the other yelling "you're only giving me one option man!".

Why are you guys talking about these things on the48kwh thread. I came here for an update on that.

Has anyone heard anything other than a 2017 launch date... right after the infiniti ev is released?

EVDrive said:
Why are you guys talking about these things on the48kwh thread. I came here for an update on that.
Has anyone heard anything other than a 2017 launch date... right after the infiniti ev is released?
I have not heard or read anything substantial about the launch date, however I would hope that it is sooner than 2017. If they wait till that long I think I would rather just wait for the Tesla Model 3 instead.

The sooner Nissan offers a longer range LEAF the better off they will be.

I'd hardly think they're going to release the MK II halfway through the production cycle of the current car ?

48 KWh will be expensive no doubt and it may even cost similar to the Tesla. I really don't know how Nissan will be able to compete with Tesla on cost ?

Nissan have hinted that they will offer a larger batter for more money, 48 KWh is going to cost considering Nissan U.S.A are loosing money on every single battery swapped for the current 24 kWh pack.

Back