Nissan port / long beach & 1500 cars?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Desertstraw said:
Customer Service told me that there are 600 Leafs there, some of which may have been damaged.

CS told you some of the cars may have been damaged? My BS alarm just went into overdrive.

Rule #1: Don't believe a word that CS tells you.

mogur said:
Damaged by what, A/C explosions???
Bird droppings. They have been sitting near the ocean for quite a while now and I'm sure there's plenty of seagulls about. :p Going to have to decontaminate them. Went right through the protective plastic. :lol:

There are about 1500 and in time some interesting details will surface about the delays and what is really going on. If your car is there I would say you are lucky.

EVDRIVER said:
There are about 1500 and in time some interesting details will surface about the delays and what is really going on. If your car is there I would say you are lucky.
You got my attention evdriver. You sound as if you have a reason to know how many cars are there, and the details of "what is really going on."

Care to share that info with us? Or have I misunderstood your comment?

youngr3 said:
Any truth to the comment by CS that the number of cars delivered to the port is much closer to 1000 than 1500?

I'm quite disappointed in the forum. The dude TAKES HIS HELICOPTER up for pictures. We have the pictures, let's figure out how to tag the cars, identify them as LEAFs and get a count! The answer is right in front of us. Surely one of the nerds among us has an easy way to tag the cars on the pictures in a way that we can all participate in the count.

LOL ;)

By the way, my date which was "month of April" and went to pending literally as I was up in that chopper has now changed from pending to "week of may 2".

Nissan is fixing something it seems. Recommend everyone check their DB!

Yeah several people just went from pending to "week of" in another thread.

Maybe those port fixes are going smoother than expected? :D

TonyWilliams said:
So, two other ATC dudes here? You guys going to be at the 23 April 2011 Home Town Buffet meeting (8:30am)?

Tony

SoCal TRACON, Burbank, 1998-2001

I'm going to try to be, Tony. Don't know for sure yet. I don't even know yet what time my shift starts tomorrow!!! :?

Desertstraw said:
Customer Service told me that there are 600 Leafs there, some of which may have been damaged.
I thought there was an official Nissan press release that said 1500. Unless a bunch have already been processed and are on the way to dealers :D

Or maybe there are 600 to be reallocated and 900 are scheduled for delivery :roll:

Numbers can mean anything.

smkettner said:
I thought there was an official Nissan press release that said 1500.
Press release on 3/18/11 said 1500 cars in port or on a boat.

http://nissannews.com/newsrelease.do?&id=2329

Nissan Americas has visibility of more than 1,500 Nissan LEAF vehicles either in transit from Japan or at port in the U.S. This number includes the shipment of more than 600 Nissan LEAFs which left port in Japan on March 10, the day before the earthquake.

I just copied a video off of my iPhone from this trip, just kind of shows an overview of the nissan port for those not familiar with it. Its not real revealing or anything which is why I didn't bother with it earlier. Since I was looking at these again today due to the 'pollen issue' I figured I might as well post it.

http://aries.spacelink.com/nissan_port/IMG_4518.MOV

n.b. This is in whatever format iPhones record in -- quicktime I think. Also, use caution with the sound as I held the phone out the window a few times so there is lots of wind noise. Turn down your sound. I don't know how to remove the sound or I would have.. sorry :(

Congrats Aries - did you know that you're one of the 'anxious' folks waiting for their Leaf? :D

http://detnews.com/article/20110612...vates-customers-attempting-to-turn-new-‘Leaf’
In April, Nissan began revamping the program, re-training agents staffing the vehicle's sales website and promoting Jones, who had been a manager of general sales and marketing, to director of the same for the plug-in brand.

The first Leaf buyers, who Jones described as more affluent and tech-savvy than typical Nissan customers, require special handling. One Californian on the waiting list was so anxious about his order that "he even got a helicopter to fly over the port to see how many Leafs had arrived," Jones said in a telephone interview on June 3.

"The expectation we set for our customer service agents didn't prepare them for that level of customer inquiry," said Jones, based in Franklin, Tennessee, at Nissan's North American headquarters.

aries said:
Ok, got a bunch of pics which I will upload tonight and post a link... but the anticipation I started earlier, heres one to go on until I complete uploading the others.

A processing building.. note the leaves! :) Seems like blue was popular!

[snip]

For anyone interested in the tools of the trade.. the chopper....

chopper.JPG

More soon

-Aries

Wow, aries! I just discovered this thread. Rockin' cool that you flew up for some recon! Instead of "anxious", I think of you as a true enthusiast! Bravo and thanks for sharing all the pics and movie. The clip looking down over the facility reminded me of skydiving! :lol:

AndyH said:
Congrats Aries - did you know that you're one of the 'anxious' folks waiting for their Leaf? :D
Yep, saw that article.. too funny. Just glad they saw the pics and got the message that WE CAN check up on them. Better to just communicate with the customers than force us to have to go look ourselves and blow their cover! Those photos got picked up by blogs and all sorts of stuff. :)

We did finally take delivery of Leaf. We quite enjoy it. Hopefully there won't be any more games on Nissans part.

OilFreedom said:
Wow, aries! I just discovered this thread. Rockin' cool that you flew up for some recon! Instead of "anxious", I think of you as a true enthusiast! Bravo and thanks for sharing all the pics and movie. The clip looking down over the facility reminded me of skydiving! :lol:
No worries. A flight up the coast is always fun. Plus, I wanted to send the message to Nissan that we're watching and have lots of means available to us! Don't mess with MNL members!

Back