Nissan L1 EVSE third-party upgrade to both 120V and 240V

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EVDRIVER said:
There may be a cheaply made Chinese units on ebay in time but I can tell you that the Panasonic unit is good quality and has the best connecter I have see yet, it will last a very long time. I would never buy anything cheap I need to rely on or don't expect to replace at least once. I'm sure people are still considering EV Charge America for a home EVSE, good luck with that:)

I hear what you are saying but people like to buy cheap.. the chinese will start cranking these out soon, sooner if they adopt the connector for their home market also. It is just a fancy extension cord after all, no reason it should not be cheap. I am willing to pay $14.99 more if it includes a kwh display, with a pushbutton reset :)

Herm said:
EVDRIVER said:
There may be a cheaply made Chinese units on ebay in time but I can tell you that the Panasonic unit is good quality and has the best connecter I have see yet, it will last a very long time. I would never buy anything cheap I need to rely on or don't expect to replace at least once. I'm sure people are still considering EV Charge America for a home EVSE, good luck with that:)

I hear what you are saying but people like to buy cheap.. the chinese will start cranking these out soon, sooner if they adopt the connector for their home market also. It is just a fancy extension cord after all, no reason it should not be cheap. I am willing to pay $14.99 more if it includes a kwh display, with a pushbutton reset.

I would bet you could get an non-UL portable one in a year or so for about $300 and it would last about a year or until it was dropped once. The factory LEAF model is made very well, buying cheap Chinese junk for high voltage is a scary proposition, an ipod dock perhaps, no thanks on an EVSE. I won't buy any Chinese made EV electrical components, far too much experience in that area. Cheap is good in some areas, perhaps ask those warned not to buy the Charge America EVSE "made in America" and see how their $650 investment is working out. There is a difference between cheap and inexpensive and even more when you are far from home and the cheap EVSE does not work. If you think you will get a working kw display for another $14.99 then let me know, I'll pay for it for you, best of luck with that:)

Wow what a terrific offering! Also, I'm not anywhere close to being as techie as some of the nerd bunnies on here, but when I went to Phil's website, I immediatly got it! In any event the total price seems extremely reasonable to me. Actually dirt cheap! Some people really need to do a self check. Especially before asking more from something I consider to be a gift! Can't wait to order.

Tell I missed something? It's great there are 'wizards' in the community, reminds me of my days in shortwave radio when wizards did the impossible.

This unit does not plug in to a three or four prong dry plug? (Well maybe if you risk your life and that of the Leaf?)
There are no adopters that will convert the units plug to a dryer type plug?

This means I have to hire an electrician to set up a standard 220V plug. By the time the electrician installs a $100.00 modern circuit breaker, runs the ten feet of enclosed wiring for the electric box to the garage... I will out at least $500.00+ permit.

The BAAQMD maybe? will give me $700.00 back on a purpose built EVSE?

Where in the world except for going to the home of another Leaf owner with one of these 220V plugs would I ever find one? I do not work in or own a machine shop.

Thanks

electriclarry said:
Tell I missed something? It's great there are 'wizards' in the community, reminds me of my days in shortwave radio when wizards did the impossible.

This unit does not plug in to a three or four prong dry plug? (Well maybe if you risk your life and that of the Leaf?)

This means I have to hire an electrician to set up a standard 220V plug. By the time the electrician installs a $100.00 modern circuit breaker, runs the ten feet of enclosed wiring for the electric box to the garage... I will out at least $500.00+ permit.

Where in the world except for going to the home of another Leaf owner with one of these 220V plugs would I ever find one? I do not work in or own a machine shop.

Thanks

ok, i tell u.

u missed something.

try taking that $700 EVSE that is mounted to the wall with you.

DaveinOlyWA said:
electriclarry said:

Thanks

ok, i tell u.

u missed something.

try taking that $700 EVSE that is mounted to the wall with you.
No, what he missed is the NEMA L6-20 to 3 prong 240v adapter. Which I don't understand either but we have been told we can't talk about adapters on this thread. So I threw in the towel as well.

The problem is that this thread was meant to be about the L1 to L2 mod. But it started running rampant with a lot of speculation over adapters, and Phil was getting flooded with questions about them when he wasn't even sure he wanted to make then - the mod itself is enough work and a time-sink.

There is another thread dedicated to adapters, we should move the conversation there:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1450&start=0

Since I indicated earlier that Phil had worked with me on some prototype adapters (before he decided not to offer them), I will be happy to share details on what we came up with, where you can get some, how you can make your own, etc. I will write something up, with illustrations, sometime this weekend and post it in the adapters thread. Keep an eye out for it.

But let's honor Phil's request and not bother him with adapter requests. I think he's doing the community an awesome service as it is, I'd hate to scare him off and nobody else be able to get the awesome mod. I've got mine already, so I suppose I don't really care, but I'd hate for others to loose out.

electriclarry said:
As I've learned, there is no real harm or risk in using a dryer plug for this purpose. The only real risk is that it's easy to slip and make contact with your fingers on that kind of plug. It's often said that the old three prong dryer plug is ungrounded, and is thus unsafe, but that's not entirely true. I can tell you the EVSE will not work if it is not properly grounded, and that it does indeed work just fine off a three prong dryer plug. I'll explain more when I make my write-up in the adapters thread later this weekend.

GeekEV said:
electriclarry said:
As I've learned, there is no real harm or risk in using a dryer plug for this purpose. The only real risk is that it's easy to slip and make contact with your fingers on that kind of plug. It's often said that the old three prong dryer plug is ungrounded, and is thus unsafe, but that's not entirely true. I can tell you the EVSE will not work if it is not properly grounded, and that it does indeed work just fine off a three prong dryer plug. I'll explain more when I make my write-up in the adapters thread later this weekend.
Thanks GeekEV. Looking forward to your write-up.

Ingineer said:
So it doesn't look like there is currently enough interest to make the addition of higher charge capability viable.

We are planning on accepting first orders sometime this week. The exact cost is still indeterminate, but will be under $200 for the upgrade. There are now 2 forum members here that already have the upgrade and can comment on how it works. The delay has been mainly due to thoroughly testing everything to insure it's reliable and will last. In fact, an EVSE with this upgrade is more reliable than the original one, as a moderate voltage surge can permanently damage it, while an upgraded one will be unaffected.

Once we are ready to accept orders we will announce it here, and also by email for those that are on our email list.

-Phil

Hello Phil,

I haven't read thru the entire thread here but can you explain the upgraded advantage here compared to the stock Panasonic unit shipped with the car?

Quote: "....
In fact, an EVSE with this upgrade is more reliable than the original one, as a moderate voltage surge can permanently damage it, while an upgraded one will be unaffected.
..."

Thanks!

mxp said:
Ingineer said:
So it doesn't look like there is currently enough interest to make the addition of higher charge capability viable.

We are planning on accepting first orders sometime this week. The exact cost is still indeterminate, but will be under $200 for the upgrade. There are now 2 forum members here that already have the upgrade and can comment on how it works. The delay has been mainly due to thoroughly testing everything to insure it's reliable and will last. In fact, an EVSE with this upgrade is more reliable than the original one, as a moderate voltage surge can permanently damage it, while an upgraded one will be unaffected.

Once we are ready to accept orders we will announce it here, and also by email for those that are on our email list.

-Phil

Hello Phil,

I haven't read thru the entire thread here but can you explain the upgraded advantage here compared to the stock Panasonic unit shipped with the car?

In fact, an EVSE with this upgrade is more reliable than the original one, as a moderate voltage surge can permanently damage it, while an upgraded one will be unaffected.
..."

Thanks!

all the info is here-

evseupgrade.com

drees said:
Adrian said:
ok, I paid for the upgrade and the extra cord. Now I'd like to buy a safe 2 x 110V Y adapter to 220V so I can use two 110V outlets at work and charge faster. Does anyone here have a recommendation for a safe, robust Y adapter?
Google for Quick 220. Only one I know of that you can buy...

Drees,
Is it this one?

http://www.eaglesystem.biz/quick220.html

or this one?

http://www.quick220.com/

I am not sure of the differences if any...

Thanks!

mxp said:

..."
Aside from the advantage of being able to use it on 240v as a L2 EVSE? The quote you cite is referring to the fact that the transformer inside the original unit is on the cheap side, and could be damaged by exposure to higher voltages, such as those caused by a power surge. In the modified unit it is replaced with a much higher quality transformer that supports a broader range of voltages. The better quality transformer also allows it to run cooler than the original unit.

This might have been explained but I am confused with all the tech talk. Does the base upgrade come with the same connector (outlet) as the standard 110V? What kind of outlet does the 240V have? If I need to connect to a 240v input, the connector looks the same as 110V?

csriram45 said:
This might have been explained but I am confused with all the tech talk. Does the base upgrade come with the same connector (outlet) as the standard 110V? What kind of outlet does the 240V have? If I need to connect to a 240v input, the connector looks the same as 110V?

It comes with a connector for adapters, the 120V (not 110V as there is no such thing here) is optional for $25. Then you can buy or make additional 240V adapters yourself.

Yes, it comes standard with a high-quality molded L6-20P in place of the "Edison" style plug that was originally on it.

For $25 extra you get a high-quality molded L6-20R to "Edison" adapter that lets you use it on a standard 120V outlet.

You can see pictures on the web site.

For other 240v outlet types you can order (from other suppliers) standard adapter types that go from any 240V outlet type to L6-20P. One such supplier is Stayonline.com. Here you can choose almost any plug type, then choose NEMA L6-20 as the Female connector and you can then select how log you want it.

If you are competent, The other option is to buy your plug types locally and make your own adapters.

-Phil

A number of you have begun receiving your new upgraded EVSE's back, so I'd love to hear how they are working out for you, and your experiences using them.

By popular demand we are also now offering the high-quality molded L6-20R "pigtails" so you can easily make your own adapters, or have someone qualified make them for you if unable.

I'd also like to clarify the L6-20, as several people have asked about it. It's a locking type connector commonly used in commercial and industrial settings. The plug inserts and turns about a 1/4" to lock it. We chose this connector because it is compact and reliable, and more safe than the older straight-blade type 240v plugs. When you connect it to an adapter it will stay connected until you disconnect it, so there is no chance of it falling out due to the weight of the EVSE pulling on it. It's very common to find these outlets in the workplace where 240V power is used, in which case an adapter isn't even needed. We are using a high-quality molded connector which is strong and keeps water out.

pic

Someone also asked where to get a NEMA 14-50 adapter, and there are several places online, such as this one. Note that you can saw the bottom pin off this with a hacksaw, and it will then fit 2 additional outlet types. (14-30 and 14-60)

-Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back