Nissan L1 EVSE third-party upgrade to both 120V and 240V

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be interested in both the voltage and higher charge rate upgrade(if it is offered) once i receive my Leaf in May.

FYI, so far I've charged both 120v and 240v dryer plug with this mod. I took temperature readings of the brick at 2hr and 4hr into the charge. At 120v the temperature held steady at 89F (sorry, I didn't think to get a pre-mod reading) and at 240v it held at 96F. Everything seems to be working great!

In my testing the bulk of the internal temperature rise on the EVSE is the relay coils. There is a few more watts heat on the original from the rather inefficient transformer they used which is not present in the upgraded unit, so it actually runs cooler.

The temperature rise from charging will be no different on 120 or 240, as the same ~12 amps is running through the unit, and this is what causes the heat output, so I'm wondering how you could get 7 more degrees hotter on 240?

-Phil

The 120v and 240v plugs are in different spots, and I was charging on different nights. Perhaps the ground was cooler where I was doing the 120v test and, thusly, soaked up more of the heat. In any case, neither readings seem like any cause for concern. I'll keep using it on 240v through the weekend just to make sure everything is ok, but then it gets packed up in the trunk and relegated back to "travel charger" duty. :)

Ingineer said:
Ok!

We are ready to start offering the upgrades!

Here is the site to place your order:
http://evseupgrade.com/

-Phil
Looks awesome, can't wait till I get my LEAF so I can send mine in! One question though, since the 120 volt plug is replaced, any chance I could get it back to use in other projects (or should I just remove it/cut off before sending it in)?

I am interested in the answer on the stock connector/cord as that could be used with a twist lock connector to make a 120V adapter.

Also, what is the turn-around time? I know your site says a few days but some of us may want to know. I would be willing to send it off tomorrow if I knew that I could receive it back by the end of next week (could use it for a longer trip next weekend, no time at a public station-dealer).

Ingineer said:
The 120V plug is needed for making the 120V adapter cable.

Then if the adapter cord is not ordered you ship us back the stock connector for our own cord arrangement?

Skywagon said:
Also, what is the turn-around time? I know your site says a few days but some of us may want to know. I would be willing to send it off tomorrow if I knew that I could receive it back by the end of next week (could use it for a longer trip next weekend, no time at a public station-dealer).

Most of the time orders will be turned around within 24 hours. (business days) I can't predict any finer than that, as it depends on how many are in front of you.

If you want to pay for rush shipping we can move your order to the front.

Skywagon said:
Ingineer said:
The 120V plug is needed for making the 120V adapter cable.

Then if the adapter cord is not ordered you ship us back the stock connector for our own cord arrangement?

No. We are already doing this at a low cost, if people waste a lot of time with special requests, then we will either have to raise the cost, or stop offering the upgrade. This is why we decided not to offer the adapter cables outside of the 120v.

People, please be reasonable here. If you are the type of person that needs personal attention and many hours of support on this deal, please do not consider it!

I will not be answering any more "special case" questions.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
No. We are already doing this at a low cost, if people waste a lot of time with special requests, then we will either have to raise the cost, or stop offering the upgrade. This is why we decided not to offer the adapter cables outside of the 120v.
Sorry Phil but I am also confused by this answer. Your web site says nothing about including the 120v adapter with the $198 upgrade service but does mention an optional adapter 120v for $25.

So are you saying if one was to order the upgrade service but not order the optional 120v adapter they would not be getting back the original 120v plug? Please forgive me if you feel this is not a reasonable question to ask and get clarity on.

Early speculation suggested the 120v adapter would be included. Since that appears not to be the case now, it does seem reasonable to toss the original plug in the box, IF you don't order the 120v adapter. If you do order it, it also seems reasonable to recycle the original plug. Of course, I can't see why you WOULDN'T get the adapter. It's of limited value without it. You could make your own, but for what you'd pay for a L6-20 receptical, you may as well just have him do it.

DarkStar said:
I was just curious since I'm a cheapskate and wanted to save $7 from having to go to Home Depot the next time I needed a plug... :oops:

Really, if you are that much of a cheapskate, how can you afford a Leaf?

I don't mean to come off as harsh here, We just want to keep the process as simple as possible. The plugs will be used to make 120V adapters in advance so return can be expedited. Adding another category is just that much more administrivia for us. Again, if you don't think it's fair or a hassle for you, then please don't avail yourself of our service.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Adding another category is just that much more administrivia for us.
I guess I just don't understand why the 120V to 240V adapter is optional in the first place especially since its using the original plug. That way it would have just been $223 or whatever for the service and the adapter and no mention of optional adapters would have been necessary. That seems the least administrative and a lot less confusing to me.

Spies said:
Ingineer said:
Adding another category is just that much more administrivia for us.
I guess I just don't understand why the 120V to 240V adapter is optional in the first place especially since its using the original plug. That way it would have just been $223 or whatever for the service and the adapter and no mention of optional adapters would have been necessary. That seems the least administrative and a lot less confusing to me.

He gives us a chance to have one option (buy a short adapter or not) and we get complaints because we either want a third option or no options at all. Wow.

I think the single option is great. If you want to have a short adapter, he can do it, and it you prefer to build your own because you want to have a longer cord you can do that too.

All the best with the offering Phil! It is truly great to have this option available.

Spies said:
I feel the same way Spies. If I order, I'll get the adaptor although I'm not sure about the yellow cord. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back