Nissan Engineering Team Visit Dec. 3rd: Recap

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hpage said:
LEAFfan said:
Levenkay said:
Illuminate the charge port

I can help you with this one...there's a magnetic LED motion light that you can buy from Lowe's for around $13 + tax. Some forum members are already using it.

I got one.. Great but the batteries lasted three weeks!

Were the batteries 'heavy duty' or alkaline? I would think that 'good' alkaline batteries would last a long time.

linkim said:
Many have already made comments/suggestions to the MNL forum, which I have tried to include in the presentations.
I am following the input to the Google docs spreadsheet for new information, which will be added to the presentation.
Since Phil and gascant will be discussing EVSE-and SOC-related topics, respectively, at the Dec. 3 meeting, I wanted to see if my PPT integrates smoothly with theirs.

Please be patient as we try to put together the information in a timely manner.

Kim
I suggest your presentation should refute Mark Perry's recent claim that there is "No Market Need" for longer range EVs or faster built-in charging. The spreadsheet in this thread shows that there are plenty of MNL members who disagree.

As discussed in this thread,
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6544
Perry is misinterpreting CarWings data that reflects the actual limitations of the Leaf.

tbleakne said:
I suggest your presentation should refute Mark Perry's recent claim that there is "No Market Need" for longer range EVs or faster built-in charging. The spreadsheet in this thread shows that there are plenty of MNL members who disagree.
That's a good suggestion. Actually, many people like to travel up to 75 miles one way for an evening out or a long weekend. There are those that go 200. So, given the lack of infrastructure, longer range would be appropriate. Should we start a separate thread doing a survey? For me, it would be guaranteed 140 mile range with A/C.

gascant said:
tbleakne said:
That's a good suggestion. Actually, many people like to travel up to 75 miles one way for an evening out or a long weekend. There are those that go 200. So, given the lack of infrastructure, longer range would be appropriate. Should we start a separate thread doing a survey? For me, it would be guaranteed 140 mile range with A/C.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
+1
since the current LEAF battery pack isn't a true 100 mile range at 65-70mph speeds.

Their claim makes some sense, only if there is a charging infrastructure. However, in lieu of an infrastructure, perhaps Nissan should "donate" some L3 Chademo QCs to the US like they did for Europe. Ecotality/EV Project is sure dragging their feet in making it happen.

EricBayArea said:
Their claim makes some sense, only if there is a charging infrastructure. However, in lieu of an infrastructure, perhaps Nissan should "donate" some L3 Chademo QCs to the US like they did for Europe. Ecotality/EV Project is sure dragging their feet in making it happen.

Who do they donate them to?

1. Ecotality? They have $110 million, and their own tax payer funded DC charger.

2. Nissan dealers? I'm going to guess most don't want to get in that business for a lots of reasons, the least of which being that there isn't any money in it, even if the charger were free (note: the install and maintenance, and taxes, insurance, loss of parking spots in a business that is primarily all about places to park revenue producing things).

3. Maybe SDGE, when the CPUC gives them the authority to operate them. But... that didn't work so well for the Vacaville charger which was given to PGE.

4. If these units aren't UL listed from day one (impossible), it's a non-starter for any big business in California. They won't accept the "risk".

5. Give to a city or other public entity? Who will pay the energy fees (plus all the other costs listed in #2). As you know, those electric costs are not just 10 cents a kWh, so selling 10 charges a week would cost the entity over $100 per charge.

6. This shouldn't be in this thread... hopefully, a moderator will move it to the appropriate place.

Attention anyone who is contributing suggestions here:

They MUST be on the spreadsheet to be submitted, sorry for the duplication, but we need to have them all in one place and well organized.

At the last BayLeafs meeting we decided to alter the spreadsheet to change the priority to Low/Medium/High instead of the existing numbering scheme. If you contributed to the spreadsheet, or wish to, please update your entries to this new priority system if you wish them to be considered.

The spreadsheet will only remain open for another week, so please get your entries updated/added, as any not properly formatted will be deleted.

Please have careful consideration on your entries. Choose a short descriptor for the title that succinctly and uniquely identifies the entry and choose a realistic priority with thoughts on how easy it may be to add, the costs, etc.

For instance, do not put 1000 mile range (H). This is unrealistic, but you could put "add more range" as a wishlist item with a lower priority.

Our goal here is to give Nissan some ideas they could realistically fix or improve on, without spending too much time/money. We don't want to see the Leaf become a $60,000 car!

This list will be cleaned up and presented to Nissan so they can take it home and study it. If we made some good suggestions, we may just see them implemented! If we demand the impossible, they may just write the whole thing off as a failed experiment, so please think carefully as you add!

Thanks!

-Phil

In preparation for the meeting, it might be useful to review the interview Hidetoshi Kadota, Nissan's chief vehicle engineer for the Leaf, gave in Davos earlier this year. This interview has been published on YouTube and it's the only public interview with Kadota-san I could find.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROV83sMi9NM[/youtube]

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/STORIES/VOL02/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/STORIES/VOL02/01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
img_02_02.jpg

img_02_03.jpg

By the way, does the picture I just posted look like the LEAF in the background has a Li-Ion aux (12V) battery?
It doesn't look the same as the more "run of the mill" Lead/Acid 12V we have in our production cars...

TEG said:
By the way, does the picture I just posted look like the LEAF in the background has a Li-Ion aux (12V) battery?
It doesn't look the same as the more "run of the mill" Leaf/Acid 12V we have in our production cars...

That's not a cheap battery! I'll bet Nissan gets our batteries for less than $10 each.

TonyWilliams said:
TEG said:
It doesn't look the same as the more "run of the mill" Leaf/Acid 12V we have in our production cars...

That's not a cheap battery! I'll bet Nissan gets our batteries for less than $10 each.

That's an AGM battery.

Prototype aux battery vs production aux battery (I wonder why they changed it?):
batt3.jpg

It looks like there is something extra hooked up to the top of the prototype battery.

TEG said:
Prototype aux battery vs production aux battery (I wonder why they changed it?)
I'm under the impression that they took a lot of cost out of the vehicle before it entered production. There is a number of things that look nicer or are executed better in their prototypes.

Actually that's an AC power supply designed to emulate a 12v battery. They typically use things like that at car shows, so they can leave the car accessories on without worry of draining the battery.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Attention anyone who is contributing suggestions here:

They MUST be on the spreadsheet to be submitted, sorry for the duplication, but we need to have them all in one place and well organized.

At the last BayLeafs meeting we decided to alter the spreadsheet to change the priority to Low/Medium/High instead of the existing numbering scheme. If you contributed to the spreadsheet, or wish to, please update your entries to this new priority system if you wish them to be considered.

The spreadsheet will only remain open for another week, so please get your entries updated/added, as any not properly formatted will be deleted.

I just checked Phil's spreadsheet. It seems that nearly all contributors have changed to H/M/L for their priority listings. For those few who have not made the conversion from the earlier numbering system, please make the change before Phil cuts you off. This information will be collated with all the H, M and L listings together and provided to Nissan.

Thanks Phil and everyone for contributing,

Kim

We are two weeks away from the meeting. Attached link contains a map for the Google facility at which we will meet.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=216866511384848661679.0004b0c706577a3499eb8&msa=0&ll=37.425125,-122.072101&spn=0.005044,0.009838" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The address is 1300 Crittenden Lane, Mountain View (Bldg CL3). There will be ample charging--Google will make arrangements for off-site charging on their main campus and will run a shuttle (if needed). Please be sure to fill out Ingineer's spreadsheet if you need charge. J1772 (240V) and 120V standard will be available. Linkim has scouted out the area and we will post the suggested parking arrangements once we clear it with Google.

Out of respect for our guests, we will not be recording the meeting or providing an internet feed. Please do not bring any recording equipment (other than cameras) to the meeting.

Many thanks to member Hy for securing the Google location! Keep checking this thread for updates on agenda, food, etc.

Back