Nissan Engineering Team Visit Dec. 3rd: Recap

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, we should keep the list of non-engineering issues, and definitely give it to Nissan as a "take-home" if nothing else. Maybe we can work on distilling the issues a bit at next Saturday's meeting. I would be willing to stay on, even if only in the parking lot, or maybe get lunch, to discuss these things with anyone interested.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
I agree, we should keep the list of non-engineering issues, and definitely give it to Nissan as a "take-home" if nothing else. Maybe we can work on distilling the issues a bit at next Saturday's meeting. I would be willing to stay on, even if only in the parking lot, or maybe get lunch, to discuss these things with anyone interested.

-Phil

Phil,
I can send by email my PPT file of the mods/upgrades to integrate with your presentation on the topic of EVSEs, and your comments. The file is starting to get excessively large by my standards, over 17 Mb. If you have preferred email address let me know by PM. I am available to meet after the gathering on Nov. 12 as well.

Hope you can discuss your effort on the other EVSE charging system mentioned earlier in this thread.

Kim

linkim said:
Phil,
I can send by email my PPT file of the mods/upgrades to integrate with your presentation on the topic of EVSEs, and your comments. The file is starting to get excessively large by my standards, over 17 Mb. If you have preferred email address let me know by PM. I am available to meet after the gathering on Nov. 12 as well.

Hope you can discuss your effort on the other EVSE charging system mentioned earlier in this thread.

Kim
Let's plan on meeting after the BayLeafs meeting next Saturday. I don't think my email will even accept a 17Mb file, the best way is to use dropbox or some other system. I'll PM you a link.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
I don't think my email will even accept a 17Mb file

Your dropbox didn't work, as far as I can tell. I can break the PPT file into smaller sizes and email the different parts, which individually will be less memory hogs.

Kim

linkim said:
Ingineer said:

Your dropbox didn't work, as far as I can tell. I can break the PPT file into smaller sizes and email the different parts, which individually will be less memory hogs.

Kim
Feel free to try. The dropbox should easily work with 4-5meg files.

-Phil

Hi Kim and Phil,

Perhaps you could upload the ppt to google presentation (google docs) that way you both can add to the file and you both will have the most updated version.

Ingineer said:
linkim said:
Ingineer said:

Kim
Feel free to try. The dropbox should easily work with 4-5meg files.

-Phil

Good idea. I am interested seeing the ppt as well. Please post the URL here after the ppt is uploaded to google docs.

Phil: I am adding items to the google spreadsheet. What are the numbers on column A and D? Is A=item number and D=priority where 1 is the highest? Are both A and D user defined?

waidy said:
EVDrive said:
Hi Kim and Phil,
Please upload the ppt to google presentation (google docs) that way a few of us can add to the file and we will all have the most updated version. You can also try to send it to me at my work email, which you have and I can upload it and share it with you both. As we are at google for this meeting, we should use google tech.
Cheers,
-AW
Good idea. I am interested seeing the ppt as well. Please post the URL here after the ppt is uploaded to google docs.

Phil: I am adding items to the google spreadsheet. What are the numbers on column A and D? Is A=item number and D=priority where 1 is the highest? Are both A and D user defined?

Thanks everyone for the enthusiastic responses in the last few days. Phil's spreadsheet has sparked renewed interest.
However, I don't want to be selfish but the PPT is not ready for prime time so it is not being made widely available at this time. We may discuss the contents at the Nov. 12 meeting in more detail, and we need to integrate the comments from the meeting into a draft to send to Nissan.

Many have already made comments/suggestions to the MNL forum, which I have tried to include in the presentations.
I am following the input to the Google docs spreadsheet for new information, which will be added to the presentation.
Since Phil and gascant will be discussing EVSE-and SOC-related topics, respectively, at the Dec. 3 meeting, I wanted to see if my PPT integrates smoothly with theirs.

Please be patient as we try to put together the information in a timely manner.

Kim

waidy said:
Yes, please continue the format, it's all clearly labelled and let's try and keep this spreadsheet clean and organized. Give each line item a short descriptive title, and Please also READ all the entries before positing one that's similar.

If people can't manage to create an organized and readable spreadsheet, how can we expect Nissan to create a decent LEAF?

Thanks!

-Phil

Ingineer said:
waidy said:
Yes, please continue the format, it's all clearly labelled and let's try and keep this spreadsheet clean and organized. Give each line item a short descriptive title, and Please also READ all the entries before positing one that's similar.

If people can't manage to create an organized and readable spreadsheet, how can we expect Nissan to create a decent LEAF?

Thanks!

-Phil

So true. It's always easier to be a critic than a problem solver. Now is a good chance for us to move beyond criticism and to provide clear and prioritized feedback that will help Nissan to innovate on their already great product.

The spreadsheet is getting a bit out of control. I don't know if people are just adding without first reading or if some list of items were moved over, but I'm seeing duplicates suggestions.

Also, is the list specific to technical items or aesthetics as well? Seeing some of the later.

By the way, I'd be happy to create a survey with all of the items so there can be unanimous "top 10" or something similar. I also have a GoToMeeting (audio conference, desktop sharing, video sharing) account if you'd like help coordinating the spreadsheet or discuss things. PM me, happy to help.

Yes, the spreadsheet is a mess. Waidy, please clean up your entries!

People are making entries without even bothering to add their names. I will simply delete the mess if it isn't cleaned up soon!

-Phil

I think a survey (super easy to make with google docs) is a great idea. I do these all the time so I would be happy to help create it after we get the main issues aired out and the list cleaned up and consolidated.

As far as aesthetics, we shouldn't focus on it to much. As far as safety issues like ~ a thousand people removing the rear headrests because we couldn't see out the back, we should leave it in the poll and see if it comes to the top as a priority issue.

Some options for the poll are to have people vote for their top 5 or so issues. Or we can have people rate each issue from 1 to 5. I think the latter would be the most accurate analysis in a poll. Unless everyone chooses 5, most important, for every issue. I've never seen that but this group is different so who knows.

Ingineer said:

People are making entries without even bothering to add their names. I will simply delete the mess if it isn't cleaned up soon!

-Phil
Dear Ingineer, I looked all over and could not find a document explaining the format. I am cleaning up now with guessing that column D is priority set by user and that 1 is the highest. I didn't think any of my entries was a duplicate at the time when I entered them, but now see some of them are. I am cleaning up, just like a good girl listening to his dad :)

waidy said:
Ingineer said:

-Phil
Dear Ingineer, I looked all over and could not find a document explaining the format. I am cleaning up now with guessing that column D is priority set by user and that 1 is the highest. I didn't think any of my entries was a duplicate at the time when I entered them, but now see some of them are. I am cleaning up, just like a good girl listening to his dad :)

I looked at the original version of the document to find what the headers where and I've restored them. I guess 1 is low priority and 10 is high priority.

What's the protocol for editing other users entries? I assume fixing obvious mistakes (like spelling) is ok. If you have similar suggestion (but not exactly the same) do you edit the existing one to try to encompass both or make another entry? How do we want to record "+1" support for an entry?

arnold

waidy said:
No, 10 is the highest. I guess I am just an engineer assuming the highest number carries the most weight! =)

-P

arnolddeleon said:
I looked at the original version of the document to find what the headers where and I've restored them. I guess 1 is low priority and 10 is high priority.

What's the protocol for editing other users entries? I assume fixing obvious mistakes (like spelling) is ok. If you have similar suggestion (but not exactly the same) do you edit the existing one to try to encompass both or make another entry? How do we want to record "+1" support for an entry?

arnold
Who took my headers out?! Sheesh. C'mon People!

I would insert a new row under any existing issue, and give it the same title as above, then make your notes/additions in the description. No need to +1, as we will be voting on them. Don't put a an issue number (first column) for these. Leave it blank.

-Phil

Updated with instructions!

Also: if you have complex issues, please break them into their own on separate lines. Might be useful to keep them grouped.

Be sure to keep your Short description SHORT and DESCRIPTIVE. Don't put "leaf problem" or something silly. It should be useful as a descriptor. It should be UNIQUE (unless adding duplicate issues immediately below) See my first 6 lines for examples!

Thanks!

-Phil

Wow, I go off line for a day or so and come back to an explosion of interest in the meeting. I'm very happy to see it and I hope people outside the group see it as well. Several things come to mind in reading through postings of the last 36 hours:

We definitely need to give Nissan due recognition for bringing out the LEAF. That is why linkim and I decided to ask for people's top 3 likes at the beginning of the thread. And I think those 3 are pretty clear, mostly around performance. Presenting a top 10 is definitely a worthy thing to do. Finally, on this topic, the very first slide we will show at the meeting (even before the agenda) will have wording to the effect of "We applaud Nissan Motors for having the courage to be the first major automotive company to introduce a mass-produced, 100% electric vehicle to the North America market." Exact wording to be worked out. We'll also thank Kadota-san for bringing his team to our meeting.

This meeting cannot turn into a rant about what's wrong with the LEAF, as Phil says. As linkim says, they are eager to learn, and not to hear the obvious. I really like the idea of dividing the suggestions into two categories: Improvements for the LEAF, and suggestions for future EVs. The presentations we give must be carefully thought out and presented in the proper context. We must demonstrate a depth of knowledge to back up our suggestions. We'll show progress on this at the November meeting.

Linkim and I have discussed including a section at the end, i.e., how can we help each other? Suggestions for beta testing, in my view, are spot on. I also think we could do some of their vehicle to home unit testing as our power system is nominally the same as that in Japan (120V, 60 Hz).

Given the explosion in interest in this meeting, it's going to be way beyond the ability of the existing small team (linkim, Hy and me) to accomplish it all. So, we will be requesting volunteers to help support the effort. Particularly, getting web access for those who can't attend and for expanding the number of charging docks/coordinating charge schedules. We are in touch with Rolf and will ask to get some of the docks reprogrammed to accept non-Googler cards for activation.

Thinking out loud here, linkim and I already knew that we had too much information to present, so we thought that focus would be best. Perhaps we can ask if they would be interested to have a series of meetings, regularly? I imagine that they come to North America on a quarterly basis. If they are willing to invest 1/2 day each trip to meet with informed and excited users, we'd be happy to expend the effort to put it together. If they do agree to have some beta testing here in the US with us, then I would think they would want to have such regular meetings. Maybe we can put together a roadmap for Nissan/owner Engineering interactions. Again, all this is just thinking out loud.

Back