New Traction Motor Being Installed

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NasGoreList said:
CopperRoad said:
I Just picked the car up. Finally. No clicking sound on the drive home. On top of replacing the traction motor, they had to replace the traction motor inverter after it failed. So, hopefully everything is fine. Motor is on its way to Nissan so they can figure out what the cause was.

So was you clicking sound similar to mine? Just recorded the noise this morning, video: http://youtu.be/eX3G3DDT7Xw

It happens as I creep along in the parking garage with my foot off the gas pedal. almost sound like there is a lose bolt slapping around in the drivetrain. No noise while driving normally, that I can hear.

if it is motor that would mean that I will have my whole drivetrain (minus transmission) replaced in the first 4K miles :shock: . I had PDM/inverter replaced recently.

update:

false alert. it turns out it was just a rock that somehow made its way into hubcap and was rolling around at low speed, once I got going it would lodge itself between the hubcap and the wheel and stop making noise... face palm, could have check it my self first.

EV1 said:
I had the "ticks" also, for weeks, until the mechanic at my leaf dealer fixed it, when I was there for a problem with my brakes.

It was -NOT- the continue clicking/ticking as heard in the video from NasGoreList.

It was a single "tick" when reversing the torque, so in general when pressing the pedal in reverse the first time, but sometimes also when driving away from a stop and the last meters of braking, before a stop.

What I understood from his explanation was that is was the SPLINE (SHAFT) (see image, not from a Leaf) and he lubed it again, because it was a bit "dry" and put it back again in a -different position-.
CIMG3730.jpg

The ticking is gone indeed, so his diagnose was correct.

And yes, when it comes to this kind of problems, the mechanics are doing their "true", "natural" job and in general, they do it just fine.
The whole "Leaf-expert" thing is a disgrace for electric cars. I met once one who even mixed up volts and amps!
Well, whats in a name...... -MECHANICS-

That's troubling as it sounds just like what my car does. Since they fixed it, I assume that it is not normal. Getting the car into the dealer will be troublesome for me.

Wufnu said:
Hate that you've had to do deal with all this. Did your clicking sound appear like NasGoreList's video?

I ask because I also notice a clicking sound, usually when starting to drive and sometimes when stopping. It's usually just a single click. Seems odd.

No. It was was similar to the EV1's clicking. A single metallic click when coming to a stop, and accelerating from a stop. When I went to the dealer we talked about the greasing of the splines. And, there was even a service bulletin in the system for such a thing. Also, there were several people on the this forum who had similar issues and it was apparently remedied by greasing of splines, etc. I was told that was not the issue after their initial diagnosis. That was when they had someone come out an assess the click and we were told it was the traction motor.

Maybe if I find myself near a different dealer I'll give them the whole rundown of events, and ask them to (re)check the splines.

CopperRoad said:
Wufnu said:
Hate that you've had to do deal with all this. Did your clicking sound appear like NasGoreList's video?

I ask because I also notice a clicking sound, usually when starting to drive and sometimes when stopping. It's usually just a single click. Seems odd.

No. It was was similar to the EV1's clicking. A single metallic click when coming to a stop, and accelerating from a stop. When I went to the dealer we talked about the greasing of the splines. And, there was even a service bulletin in the system for such a thing. Also, there were several people on the this forum who had similar issues and it was apparently remedied by greasing of splines, etc. I was told that was not the issue after their initial diagnosis. That was when they had someone come out an assess the click and we were told it was the traction motor.

Maybe if I find myself near a different dealer I'll give them the whole rundown of events, and ask them to (re)check the splines.

I experienced this ticking noise when accelerating/stopping, and greasing of the splines 'fixed' it. The car didn't ship that way, the noise just appeared 1 day.

I brought it to my dealer, but the first time, they supposedly didn't hear the noise (guessing they didn't want to hear it, or someone needs a hearing check), and the 2nd time, they didn't have all the parts.

The noise is mostly gone, but I can still hear it if I really focus.

I think the greasing mostly masks the noise, and doesn't address the actual source of the problem.

Back