New Leaf II immobilised for 20 weeks after charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DasLeaf

Hello,
I would like to share with you my short (at least the driving experience) and yet full of frustration, encounter with Nissan. Although I'm writing from mainland Europe, I'm gathering the suspicion that there is a big problem within Nissan in Europe. I base this on internet-forum information and some YT channels eg Fancy A Bev Mate. An internal disability in dealing with their clients, whose cars' have miraculously broken down, or evidently have warranty issues. Especially concerning quick repairs and fairly painless contacts with Nissan.
I bought, or rather paid a hefty sum, to start off a leasing plan to have the somewhat perilous pleasure of driving a NEW Nissan Leaf II (Acenta 40kWh). I am self employed in Poland, therefore this changes my legal options in case of a dispute after purchasing something for my work. And no Lemon Law unfortunately. I found my "sensible option" at a dealership in Poland and decided to pick up the car personally. It was arranged that the warranty would kick off on the day I received the keys - March 12th 2020. Before me I had about 200miles in a new car on pure electricity...not only as I was yet to find out. Having planned the journey carefully, I knew where to charge on the still very scarce charging infrastructure. The last planned stop was at a petrol station with a Chademo charger. And here it all begins....
Having charged the car, at least that is what I thought after about 30 minutes of waiting, I pushed the start button and....nothing. Just a big icon "Warning When parked apply parking brake". 11pm, middle of nowhere, car immobilized. I called Nissan Assistance, gave the VIN number and heard the reply - the car doesn't exist in their database. WHAT !!! A new car, from an official Nissan dealer, the year 2020, Japanese technology and something like this is at all possible?... They couldn't guarantee me that I wouldn't have to pay for hauling the car! If I would like to take the risk of hauling, looking at my present location, it would be in the opposite direction and I would have to wait until the dealership opens in the morning. My heart sunk down to my belly, nausea included. Thankfully my insurance covered hauling the car to my place of residence, without question. A new car that managed to drive a mere 150miles on it's own four wheels, the rest of the way covered on the back of a towing truck. Alas there's more to come..
At the dealership, the car was accepted for a warranty repair. I asked for a courtesy car, reply? "There isn't one available.." When will there be..? "No one knows". How about some kind of other forms of help? "None at the present moment". I repeated regularly my request for a courtesy car - to no avail. I couldn't believe it. The attempt to repair the car lasted for a whole month. After receiving and installing a part from the Netherlands - the VCM - it still didn't work. My e-mails were either left unanswered or answered evasively. I wrote to the service department and to the dealer where I bought the car - no conclusive help. No courtesy car. Since the service had no authorisation to dismantle the battery, where the problem apparently lay, the car was to be transported to Warsaw - I think the only service in Poland with that kind of authorisation. It waited for a whole week for that transport.
In the meantime I wrote a complaint through Nissan's official webpage. The first complaint - April 7th, reply - "we will look into it" (answered from Hungary). It didn't help much. It took some perseverance to obtain information from Warsaw - here we go again. Another part was ordered - no success (I wasn't informed what type of part - some type of module in the battery). Time for my second complaint - May 6th - NO REPLY for 2 weeks. ???? You have to admit, they have the cheek. Third complaint - May 20th in which I demanded to either replace the car with a new flawless model or money back covering my expenses. Reply - we are sorry, will a free service satisfy you after fixing your car? I think that's the polite and written version of the middle finger. But (the only "success" of these complaints) after this third complaint I was offered "a free just for me" courtesy car - a Quashqai. I declined, continuing with what I had already arranged. All this time, I am paying regularly my installments for a car I don't have, am faced with the cost of insuring a car I don't have, covering the cost of running my present car (petrol, service, insurance) and am being treated in this horrendous way. By the way, the third part ordered (electricity distributor "PDM"), didn't do the trick either - fourth part ordered on July 1st (Electrical measurent sensor and junction box), after trying to switch the main battery from another Leaf....
It will be 20 weeks on July 30th... Silence from Nissan - dealership and webpage. I have been let down by a new car, by the dealerships and by Nissan's Customer Service. Can't pull out of the leasing plan... Don't know what to expect, when to expect the car if it is at all fixable. Costs rising. This is my nightmare funded by Nissan....

The first suspect you want to eliminate is the little 12 volt accessory battery. It can cause all kinds of problems when it is low or dead. The rest voltage (car off for 15+ minutes) should be above 12.2 volts. If it is that low or lower, have them charge the 12 volt battery externally, clear the fault codes from the car, and try again. Here's hoping that you just got a defective accessory battery...

Yes, Nissan and their dealerships can be pretty terrible.

Before recieving the car, it was said to have gone through standard testing at the dealership. I can't do anything with or to the car as it still hasn't bee officially repaired and delivered to the customer - me...
20 weeks on and it is still in service, so I can't say if the 12v battery was in good condition or not. After all we are talking about an official Nissan dealership, we can only suspect it was checked.

Back