New member, PNW. Dismayed at local dealer ignorance

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't have been too pleased if Nissan had given me a 220V EVSE and charged for it. Atleast for now the 110V L1 EVSE that came with the car works fine for my needs.. If you are not driving for more than 50 miles a day - atleast most of the days, then an overnight charging with L1 works fine..

a 240V ready auto-selectiing version of the Panasonic EVSE would have been nice, like the mod that Engineer makes... at no extra charge. With an overtemp sensor at the plug end.

Why did you end up upgrading your service? I was in the same exact position but I just put in a 200 amp panel with a 125 amp main breaker and didn't upgrade my service. I wonder what size your service wires were. My were rather small but the utility didn't have any problem with my upgrading to 200 amp using the existing wires. I would have just needed to upgrade the wires from the panel to the meter box and install a new meter box. It was easier to just install 125 amp main breaker :) In any case it would be pretty difficult for me to ever draw 125 amp even with everything on and then PV doesn't increase your demand on the service lines.

The SCE planner was exceptionally responsive and helpful, and we tried to figure out how to do what I wanted to do without replacing the power feed to the house. But it was designed for 100 Amp service, and they wouldn't allow a 200 Amp panel without upgrading the main aluminum wire feeding the house. 125 OK, 200 no. And I really did want to install an EVSE on a 40 amp breaker which will not be obsolete with the next generation of vehicles, and potentially have the ability to charge two EV's in the future or to convert my gas furnace to something running on electricity at some future date that could include air-conditioning as the number of uncomfortably hot days five miles from the ocean seems to keep increasing every year.

Luckily, Because I allocated most of the cost for the electrical work to the PV installation, I was able to claim a 30% federal tax credit on that part, while the $1,040 I allocated to the EV installation got wiped out because of an AMT rule.

Back