Part Wanted Need the Little charger adaptor for 240-120 volt charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Part Wanted

jhagani

2022 SV +
I had an issue with the L2 charger, took the car to the dealer, and when I got it back I didn't notice the 120 dongle was missing.

I have L2 charger at home and at work, so not a big deal, unless I am out of charge and no L2 charger for miles.

Thanks a bunch.

Links
https://www.amazon.com/EVJUICION-Ch...06021556&sprefix=5-15+to+14-50,aps,114&sr=8-5 Get this one link above.
Do NOT purchase similar and possibly cheaper adapters that say FOR RV use, they will NOT work. It MUST say for EV or EVSE use to work, it will be wired differently than an RV adapter that again looks the same on the outside.
The link below will NOT work for EVSE use.
https://www.amazon.com/WZYUEQIU-Adapter-Electrical-Dogbone-Trailer/dp/B0BYDJ7643/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3GPRTTX6H16J3&keywords=5-15+to+14-50+adapter&qid=1706021556&sprefix=5-15+to+14-50,aps,114&sr=8-7 NOT this one.

Links
https://www.amazon.com/EVJUICION-Ch...06021556&sprefix=5-15+to+14-50,aps,114&sr=8-5 Get this one link above.
Do NOT purchase similar and possibly cheaper adapters that say FOR RV use, they will NOT work. It MUST say for EV or EVSE use to work, it will be wired differently than an RV adapter that again looks the same on the outside.
The link below will NOT work for EVSE use.
https://www.amazon.com/WZYUEQIU-Adapter-Electrical-Dogbone-Trailer/dp/B0BYDJ7643/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3GPRTTX6H16J3&keywords=5-15+to+14-50+adapter&qid=1706021556&sprefix=5-15+to+14-50,aps,114&sr=8-7 NOT this one.

The US. My EVSE has a NEMA 6-15 plug on the end. Is that not standard?
You likely do not have the OEM supplied EVSE. All I have seen have the 14-50 plug
EVSE's are kind of the "odd man out" when it comes to what they need in way of a plug.
The adaptor listed above for an RV likely splits the 120 volt 'Hot" connections between to two "hot" connections on the RV 14-50 plug. while connecting the neutral to the neutral on the 14-50. So that adapter would be like having both prongs connected to only one prong on the 120 volt. It will not work.
The EVSE only uses the two hots and the ground. So the adaptor would need to connect one hot to one of the hots on the EVSE's 14-50 and the neutral to the other hot on the EVSE's 14-50 and have nothing connected to the neutral on the EVSE's neutral line.
The EVSE is odd because it can handle varying voltage on the same input lines, most things can not so have a dedicated plug for its voltage.

I would also add I am not in favor of adapters in general. I have and use one to adapt a 14-50 R to a 6-50P. There the adapter is like for like in terms of current and voltage. When I wired my garage I didn't have a EV and the NEMA 14-50 configuration is the most versatile. When I got my used Leaf it came with Level 2 EVSE with a NEMA 6-50P on it. I could have replaced the 14-50R I had with a 6-50R and left the neutral dead-headed in the box or use an adapter. Since I went through the expense of running a 6 ga neutral, I felt it was worth keeping the 14-50R
Adapters that go from differing voltages or currents are much more likely to create an unsafe situation in terms of voltage or current, making an overload or over volt situation.

I'm OK with most adapters but am quite scared my 14-50 plug to 5-15 female(240v on a 120v outlet) will fall into the wrong hands. I immediately made a label and affixed to the adapter, for EVSE use only! as while it works nice for a multi-voltage EVSE it would fry a 120v only device plugged into it :oops:
https://www.amazon.com/sspa/click?i...-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1And yes you are correct in how a RV adapter works vs a EVSE adapter. While it wouldn't hurt to use a RV adapter for a EVSE it wouldn't give you any voltage but using a EVSE adapter for an RV could result in weird voltages if you have a 240v device turned on, back feeding voltage on one of the 2 120v sides.

things you think will never happen, can and will. That is why I'm against adapters like that. Someone who is looking for an extension cord, finds that and plugs it in to a 50 amp 240 volt outlet. Now you have a cord that can handle 10 amps at 120 volt now has 50 amps at 240 volts and the circuit will not trip until the current exceeds 5x the current.
Mine can only plug into a 50 amp outlet and only something with a 50 amp plug can plug into it. That is why I said it is like for like 240 volt 50 amp.

The US. My EVSE has a NEMA 6-15 plug on the end. Is that not standard?
There are adapters for tesla to j1772 and the reverse. So here is my question. I see a sign that says "Tesla charging only"??? Does that mean I can only charge there with my Leaf if I only have the adapter or Only if I have a Tesla. I have never seen signs at a j1772 level 2 charger that says "no tesla charging here"? I am old and slow these days so I look to the list as what is the right thing to do.

It means Tesla charging only. Just like a sign that says no left turn means no left turn. The owners of the charging station are stipulating that they don't want you to charge.

It means Tesla charging only. Just like a sign that says no left turn means no left turn. The owners of the charging station are stipulating that they don't want you to charge.
or the owners posted the sign before there were adapters and what they really mean is " EV charging only" no parking for ICE which is a bigger problem. This is a business parking lot with solar panels. But as I started out I a slow and old and perhaps dim witted too?

I had an issue with the L2 charger, took the car to the dealer, and when I got it back I didn't notice the 120 dongle was missing.

I have L2 charger at home and at work, so not a big deal, unless I am out of charge and no L2 charger for miles.

Thanks a bunch.
Go back to dealer and retrieve?Check Seattle craigslist,one listed good luck...

Go back to dealer and retrieve? Check Seattle craigslist, one listed good luck...

I was told by Platt Auto that the 110 V adapter for the Nissan 110/220 portable EVSE is pretty much unobtanium as a replacement part. As such, they have a tendency to disappear. :(

Back