MY ZEV license plate at LAX, Why did you unplug my Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
Herm said:
Have we tracked down "MY ZEV" yet?

Vitor is supposed to be back at LAX this morning, maybe he'll at least see if MY ZEV is still sitting there. Oh, and maybe he can get the VIN for me?
This is sounding a little stalker-ish. I'm all for helping a guy out, but this is starting to go too far. It's time to let it go guys, you don't want to give the forum a bad name...

GeekEV said:
This is sounding a little stalker-ish. I'm all for helping a guy out, but this is starting to go too far. It's time to let it go guys, you don't want to give the forum a bad name...

I'd just kinda like to know who it is, in case it's someone I already know or in case we run into each other at a future social event. I'm not going to go knocking on his door demanding an explanation! However, I doubt it's a "community" person - I'd like to think none of us would have considered doing such a thing.

[TinFoilHat] Random (absurd) conspiracy theory: "MY ZEV" was there to show that charger sharing doesn't work...
The timing coinciding with the AB475 vote was rather coincidental. [/TinFoilHat]

walterbays said:
LEAFfan said:
I forgot the link to that website where you can link photos, etc. I think Evnow gave it to me a long time ago so if he sees this, he could post the link again. Thanks!
http://imageshack.us/

Thanks to the both of you, but neither one will upload it because it is a MW doc and I don't know how to upload it or convert it so it can be uploaded.

LEAFfan said:
Thanks to the both of you, but neither one will upload it because it is a MW doc and I don't know how to upload it or convert it so it can be uploaded.
By "MW doc" do you mean a Microsoft Word .doc file? The best thing to do with that is probably to convert it to a PDF. Some versions of Microsoft Word and Microsoft Office can do that for you. Personally I stay away from that proprietary stuff as much as possible, and use Open Office instead, which has an "Export as PDF" feature. Open Office is free, and can read just about every one of the many formats Microsoft has tried for .doc (but not .docx) files.

But there is also a quick-and-dirty thing you can do, assuming you are using Windows:
  • Bring up your document, making sure the whole thing is visible on the screen.
  • With that window having focus, hold down Ctrl+Alt and press PrtSc.
  • Open Paint, and do a paste. You should see the document, with the program's window frame.
  • If you feel like playing with it there, you can trim off the window frame.
  • Save As and select PNG format.

Ray

Vitor said:
You just unplugged my Leaf, I left a sign on the dashboard, did you read it? "You may unplug me after 9:30 AM"
If not, you saw the lights, middle blinking, I only got 30 minutes of charge. Not enough for 60 miles return trip at 11:00 AM.

Hopefully you will plug me back after yours is done.
HA!
You have NO idea how bad it's going to get. As someone I know just said, " it wouldn't be much of a stretch to think that there are folks out there who are self-employed or who have their own businesses & who frequently fly out of LAX who purchased Leafs & Volts to take advantage of free parking at LAX ... "
Imagine the joke on you. Some Ar$wipe unplugs you, simply because NEW legislation going before the governor will say you may be towed if you're not plugged in. Guess who's behind the legislation. Your good friends at (sour grapes) GM . . . the makers of NO kinds of EV's.

planet4ever said:
LEAFfan said:
By "MW doc" do you mean a Microsoft Word .doc file? The best thing to do with that is probably to convert it to a PDF. Some versions of Microsoft Word and Microsoft Office can do that for you. Personally I stay away from that proprietary stuff as much as possible, and use Open Office instead, which has an "Export as PDF" feature. Open Office is free, and can read just about every one of the many formats Microsoft has tried for .doc (but not .docx) files.

But there is also a quick-and-dirty thing you can do, assuming you are using Windows:
  • Bring up your document, making sure the whole thing is visible on the screen.
  • With that window having focus, hold down Ctrl+Alt and press PrtSc.
  • Open Paint, and do a paste. You should see the document, with the program's window frame.
  • If you feel like playing with it there, you can trim off the window frame.
  • Save As and select PNG format.

Ray

Cool! Thanks Ray! I'll post it tomorrow.

Even if AB475 becomes law, it is easy to avoid being towed.

Simply refuse to park anywhere the required 17" by 22" towing-warning
sign is seen, and tell the responsible management that you will avoid
doing busiess there until the "dangerous" sign is removed. Explain why.

I'm glad it all worked out for you guys. I have to say, though, that driving an EV in SoCal comes across as very competitive and stressful! :D

garygid said:
Even if AB475 becomes law, it is easy to avoid being towed.

Simply refuse to park anywhere the required 17" by 22" towing-warning
sign is seen, and tell the responsible management that you will avoid
doing busiess there until the "dangerous" sign is removed. Explain why.
But Gary, since most managers (of places like airports and even Costco now) don't seem to give a rats - how will this help? I HAVE contemplated a note to Costco stating our intent to shop at the 1st place that DOES support EVSE infrastructure - but the only company stepping up to the plate is walgreens . . . . a far cry from Costco. Even Walmart is a step down . . . but if/when they do install EVSE's - I'll be all over it. But the crummy thing is the legislation coming down the pike - not whether or not the EVSE's are there or not ... but what happens once you hook up - or get unhooked by another.

Apparently the AB475 "law" applies ONLY if the required warning sign (with exactly the required text) is present.

So, no "exactly-worded" properly-sized sign ... no towing law.

Thus, just eliminate the required "towing" sign, AB475 no longer applies, and it becomes "safe" to park (unless other laws apply).

DO NOT object to the Charging Spot, ONLY object to that particular sign, wherever it appears.

Back