My Town Ran Out of Gas... People Raiding Gas Stations related to Recent News About Pipeline Spill

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jkline said:
You'll be glad you have an EV when Iran puts the squeeze on the Straight of Hormuz.
The goal is certainly to reduce our (actually, mainly Europe and Asia now) reliance on Persian Gulf fossil fuels, so that who controls access to them will be of as little concern to America as who controls access to the major sources of Kiwi fruit.

GRA said:
jkline said:
You'll be glad you have an EV when Iran puts the squeeze on the Straight of Hormuz.
The goal is certainly to reduce our (actually, mainly Europe and Asia now) reliance on Persian Gulf fossil fuels, so that who controls access to them will be of as little concern to America as who controls access to the major sources of Kiwi fruit.
Amen.

I see we imported only 24% of the petroleum we consumed last year. 40% of that comes from Canada. No other country provides more than 3% of the petroleum we consume. I never thought I would live see that day! Let's get that all the way to zero.

But we need to go farther. My goal is to see energy produced as close to where it is consumed as is feasible. That means on the roof of most single-family homes and commercial buildings. Near highways where automobiles travel, etc. All the technology to make this happen is coming into place. It will take time, but it is a goal worth pursuing. Then we can eliminate the types of impacts that an energy disasters in LA can have on the East Coast as we are discussing in this thread.

RegGuheert said:
I see we imported only 24% of the petroleum we consumed last year. 40% of that comes from Canada. No other country provides more than 3% of the petroleum we consume. I never thought I would live see that day! Let's get that all the way to zero.
All because of the drilling engineer who came up with slick water hydro-fracturing.

He had been promoted to be in charge of a group of wells.

But they weren't cost effective and company was planning to shut them down.

Slick water hydro-fracturing made them cost effective again.
And produces way more product than the expensive chemicals they used before.

Looks like another pipeline accident, this time it killed someone. Residents in the southeast need to prepare for a couple weeks of shortages and high prices.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Looks like another pipeline accident, this time it killed someone. Residents in the southeast need to prepare for a couple weeks of shortages and high prices.

Have Googled - Cannot find this accident?
Did find one 5 days ago - Rifle Colorado - Construction of pipeline - got rolled over by accidentally release of staged pipe.

Reading through this thread made me think to always be sure to have enough charge in my Leaf to get home, meaning plugging it in when I get to work in the morning, THEN moving it out of the charging spot, instead of charging in the afternoons. If something happens to take down grid power mid-day and I can't recharge due to a grid outage, I'll be up a creek. At home, I only have 700w of solar currently, so I could only recharge about 12 miles of range in a day's worth of sun. I really should at least get myself up to 1500w.

LTLFTcomposite said:
http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/01/news/colonial-pipeline-fire-gas-prices/index.html

Colonial says 10/31/16 10:45 pm CDT - "The incident location is several miles from the site of a Sept. 9 spill in Shelby County. " What Direction??

The Sept 9 incident is approx 1.5 miles from Helena Residential outer line

Mayor of Helena Says the explosion was 1 mile away from the residential area.

Both pipelines are currently shut down or have not been updated on the Colonial Pipeline Helena Response page - https://helena.colonialresponse.com/.

News on location is "spotty" at best. Another roller coaster ride for the Eastern Seaboard - not just the South East if both pipelines are shutdown - Line 2 came back online at 11:00 pm Monday Night CDT - per Colonial statement:
"Line 1, Colonial’s gasoline line, remains shut down. At this time, we anticipate Line 1 remaining down for the remainder of this week. Line 2, which transports diesel, jet fuel and other distillates, was restarted at approximately 11:00 PM CDT on October 31."

I think this is the spot from a Fixed wing Forestry Service Airplane photo - 1895 River Road Helena AL 35080 https://www.google.com/maps/@33.2040728,-87.0070952,203m/data=!3m1!1e3

This puts it 5.5 miles upstream (West South West) on the pipeline leak Sept 9. If I correlated the aerial photo correctly? The Cahaba River is between the Explosion and Sept 9 leak.

In a statement released Oct. 31, Colonial Pipeline said the contractors, who were hired to drain the line, "experienced an incident when the trackhoe it was using hit the line. I cant imagine hiring another company to drain your own pipeline??

Previous Colonial Pipeline statement: "In a statement released earlier this month, Colonial Pipeline noted its system currently was operating at normal capacity, adding, “Between late October and mid-November, Colonial will be performing system integrity work to remove the temporary bypass in Alabama and restore Line 1 to service.” - Maybe they forgot we are contracting that out?

In Chicago we have Nicor natural gas - I call Nicor if I smell natural gas and Nicor decides to send a contractor to investigate or remedy??

Sounds like some serious Oversight is needed in the pipeline industry. There should be armed guards on this pipeline that has 500 plus feet out of the ground, pumping massive quantities of petroleum mission critical product. Any changes to this "hobbled" pipe system should be monitored with Colonial Pipeline people within 50 miles of the original incident with stepped up on-site presence on direct changes. A certified Colonial pipeline engineer should be at all change locations that directly affect outcome of the Sept 9 incident and accompanied by an armed guard. With the Cahaba River (public water source for Birmingham) over the pipe, where are the State certified engineers/officials that should be onsite trying to "drain the line" next to a super important river?

Back