May Deliveries Pushed to July

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3 said:
ml194152, Did you go through pending between Month of May and Week of April 18?

Nope, it went straight from Month of May to "Week of 4/18/2011". But overnight it has now changed to "Week of 4/28/2011".

ml194152 said:
Nope, it went straight from Month of May to "Week of 4/18/2011". But overnight it has now changed to "Week of 4/28/2011".

Mine went from 'Month of May' to 'week of Apr. 29' from 'Pending' about two weeks ago. Then, a few days later or so it changed to 'week of May 6'.

At least you guys have ordered. Here in the "forgotten 36", we likely will not get to order until next year, even those of us on Nissan's resevation list of 20,000. I too ended up needing another car, as the transmission blew in my 20 year old Camry. So I ended up getting a used car from my PD which I will sell back to them when they sell me the LEAF, probably over a year from now. The people at the Drive Electric event seemed to think they wouldn't be selling outside the rollout and tier 2 states until the plant in Tennessee is online. I hope to get a LEAF sooner than that. My dashboard says that my LEAF will be a 2011 model, but I'm guessing it will be a 2012 ot maybe even a 2013 the way things are going. That's a LONG time to keep the enthusiasm alive... At least I got to drive THE Hertz rental LEAF in NYC; it was awesome, and worth waiting to have my own, so I'll just keep waiting.

LeaflessInSeattle said:
My nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car account status just went from Estimated Delivery Month of May to Estimated Delivery Month of July.
Since the 4/8 "reset", it looks like CA orders are getting priority over other states.

I took the spreadsheet, then filtered for only those entries that had been updated after 4/8 (so as to be working with current data). Then I removed the folks who already had VINs (which included the so-called "line jumpers", who apparently were NOT re-scheduled). This left 67 orders, which I then sorted by order date.

Going down the list, there was a pretty consistent pattern of CA orders getting May and June estimated delivery dates. Anytime there was a JULY delivery date, it was from a state OTHER than CA, even when later orders from CA were still getting June dates.

I then took the entire spreadsheet, and sorted by estimated delivery date. Every single one of the "month of July" estimates is for a non-CA order. Granted, it may take a few days longer to truck the cars out of state. But that doesn't explain the clear pattern of Nissan favoring CA orders over other states.

I have to guess that it's the CA rebates that have prompted this decision (much as expiring incentives in Japan reportededly held up deliveries to the USA.)

(BTW, Leafless, the spreadsheet currently has your order date as 10/28/2011. I assume it should be 10/28/2010.)

Amary said:
Since the 4/8 "reset", it looks like CA orders are getting priority over other states.
CA orders have always been delivered a couple weeks before AZ, OR, WA orders since January when deliveries started. It has to do with transportation time mostly, I think.

drees said:
Amary said:
CA orders have always been delivered a couple weeks before AZ, OR, WA orders since January when deliveries started. It has to do with transportation time mostly, I think.
Interesting… Standard ground transportation time from LA to Seattle is only 3 days. If you drive straight through, it only takes 18:39, according to Google* (I've done it in less ;-)). OR and AZ are even closer. TX should be about the same as Seattle, and maybe a couple extra days for TN.

*Of course, LA to Seattle IN a LEAF would take somewhat longer!

Amary said:
drees said:
Amary said:
Interesting… Standard ground transportation time from LA to Seattle is only 3 days. If you drive straight through, it only takes 18:39, according to Google* (I've done it in less ;-)). OR and AZ are even closer. TX should be about the same as Seattle, and maybe a couple extra days for TN.

*Of course, LA to Seattle IN a LEAF would take somewhat longer!

Most cars delivered outside of So Cal are shipped by rail. If you look at the flyover photos of the port, you'll see autorack rail cars awaiting loading:
http://aries.spacelink.com/nissan_port/DSC_1392.JPG
Rail transport is not nonstop. Trains are at the mercy of the dispatcher and competing rail traffic, consists need to be built and balanced, crews assigned, motive power assigned, helper engines added and remove at rail yards along the way to make grades, etc. It could easily take a week to go that far. There is a big difference in delivery time between fast frieght (perishibles) and slow frieght (cars).

Here is the flyover thread
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3211

Mine was installed a week after delivery. There appears to be no reliable correlation between the two...

camasleaf said:
Can anybody say if there is any corelation between charger installation limit date and delivery date?

Turbo3 said:
nuha, What day in Nov did you place your order?

If you have time please add your information to the master spreadsheet. Thanks.

Ordered Nov 30 2010
Don't know how to edit master sheet.

nuha said:
Turbo3 said:
nuha, What day in Nov did you place your order?

If you have time please add your information to the master spreadsheet. Thanks.

Ordered Nov 30 2010
Don't know how to edit master sheet.
Here you are nuha. There's an add/update form here:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dHkzQmlFS1g5UGU1c044WGxTM05naUE6MQ#gid=0

The rest of the details are in the first post of this thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1949

Welcome aboard!

Andy

Amary said:
LeaflessInSeattle said:
My nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car account status just went from Estimated Delivery Month of May to Estimated Delivery Month of July.

I took the spreadsheet, then filtered for only those entries that had been updated after 4/8 (so as to be working with current data). Then I removed the folks who already had VINs (which included the so-called "line jumpers", who apparently were NOT re-scheduled). This left 67 orders, which I then sorted by order date.

Going down the list, there was a pretty consistent pattern of CA orders getting May and June estimated delivery dates. Anytime there was a JULY delivery date, it was from a state OTHER than CA, even when later orders from CA were still getting June dates.

I then took the entire spreadsheet, and sorted by estimated delivery date. Every single one of the "month of July" estimates is for a non-CA order. Granted, it may take a few days longer to truck the cars out of state. But that doesn't explain the clear pattern of Nissan favoring CA orders over other states.

I have to guess that it's the CA rebates that have prompted this decision (much as expiring incentives in Japan reportededly held up deliveries to the USA.)

(BTW, Leafless, the spreadsheet currently has your order date as 10/28/2011. I assume it should be 10/28/2010.)

Just sent an update to the spreadsheet for me, but I am in the Bay Area, had an order date of January, and then have gone through a series of April, May, Pending, June and now July delivery dates. So, am I the only unlucky Californian to go through this?

I certainly do understand the issues with the earthquake affecting delivery dates. Getting pushed out to July is disappointing, but I'm afraid Nissan calls the shots here and my only recourse is to cancel. Trying to read the entrails to divine why its happening won't change anything.

pkeys said:
Just sent an update to the spreadsheet for me, but I am in the Bay Area, had an order date of January, and then have gone through a series of April, May, Pending, June and now July delivery dates. So, am I the only unlucky Californian to go through this?

I certainly do understand the issues with the earthquake affecting delivery dates. Getting pushed out to July is disappointing, but I'm afraid Nissan calls the shots here and my only recourse is to cancel. Trying to read the entrails to divine why its happening won't change anything.
I ordered in October and am going to get my car here in April (if it hurries up...), so January to July is about the same time frame. Also, I predict that the summer will see deliveries accelerate. I have a hunch that without disasters and growing pains, things will smooth out. I'd be really surprised to have a repeat performance of the last month.

pkeys said:
January order? There are plenty of 2010 orders that have done the same.

pkeys said:

That describes my situation exactly.

I am a late October order date with delivery scheduled initialy for May and than pushed to July.

I finally decided to contact CS and see if they have any information on my Leaf. I was told that the car is not in production yet (hence no VIN). But they agree that for an October order date I should get the car sooner and promise to look for a car.

About two hours later I received a phone call that they located a car for me on a ship that will dock in LA on May 9th, and estimate a June delivery now. Still no VIN.

I am waiting for the DB to update. :)

camasleaf said:
About two hours later I received a phone call that they located a car for me on a ship that will dock in LA on May 9th, and estimate a June delivery now. Still no VIN.

You won't get your VIN until a couple days have passed after it's been unloaded in port. I suspect that your LEAF was on that ship the whole time. What's really going to ruffle your feathers are the reports of late Feb orders who's cars were unloaded earlier this week and are getting their VINs.

I may be missing a ship - I don't see any ships due in Long Beach for a week after May 9th - the next Nissan LEAF carrying ship, the Andromeda Spirit, (see tracking ships link in my sig) I know of is currently due in Vancouver on May 9th - typically it takes 3-7 days to get to Long Beach after that depending on how many other stops the ship takes. A June ETA would be appropriate if it is on the Andromeda Spirit due to arrive in LB in middle of May...

pkeys said:

Nov 22 order here, and I've been pushed from April to May to Pending to June, and now to July. I'm all fine with the delay because of the earthquake but my opinion of Nissan has went down by many notches for the line jumpers (or lucky ducks)...not that it seems to matter to Nissan at this point.

drees said:
camasleaf said:

You won't get your VIN until a couple days have passed after it's been unloaded in port. I suspect that your LEAF was on that ship the whole time. What's really going to ruffle your feathers are the reports of late Feb orders who's cars were unloaded earlier this week and are getting their VINs.

I may be missing a ship - I don't see any ships due in Long Beach for a week after May 9th - the next Nissan LEAF carrying ship, the Andromeda Spirit, (see tracking ships link in my sig) I know of is currently due in Vancouver on May 9th - typically it takes 3-7 days to get to Long Beach after that depending on how many other stops the ship takes. A June ETA would be appropriate if it is on the Andromeda Spirit due to arrive in LB in middle of May...
For what is worth, Nissan CS told me today (after checking with a supervisor) that there will be a ship with Leafs arriving in Long Beach port on May 9th and another one on May 13th. Also, again for what it is worth, he also said that the VINs are assigned to customers while the cars are on the boat in transit and not after the cars are unloaded. Personally, I really doubt anything is done while the ship is enroute, I just can't see how that would work. Finally he said it is now 5 weeks from start of manufacture to delivery to the dealer, which again I doubt is true.

Actually assigning VINs when on the ship fits all the data. My 2191 VIN has a manufacture date of 3/24 which is after the Tsumani. A press release from Nissan states that the first ship to arrive with post Tsumani production docked in the US on April 27. Since I was given this VIN several weeks ago after they said they were looking for a car for me it must have been on the ship at the time of the assignment. Also my car does not have the firmware fix yet which makes sense if it just drove off the ship in the last couple of days. EDD for me is week of May 6th.

I too thought VINs were assigned at port but then seeing my manufacturing date of 3/24 could not understand how it got her after seeing the report that the first ship post Tsunami had not even docked yet. Assigning on the ship is the only explaination that works.

Back