Lots of 2011 Leafs available (and listed for $40k) ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

When I go to cars.com I see over 500 MY2011 Leafs available. Nearby I see over 30 available with many of them priced around $40k - and rest not priced. I'm assuming the priced ones are really available - whereas not-priced ones are the ones that were reserved.

Statik over at gm-volt says MY2011 Leafs that were demo cars have now been released by Nissan to be sold off. We can see evidence of this at cars.com. We also had Mossy Nissan advertise some 20 Leafs recently.

I wonder whether 2011 Leafs are selling at $40k or whether the dealers will have to reduce price.

BTW, in other news, Statik says Leaf is now being sold in 13 countries, to be expanded soon to 17. So don't expect more Leafs will be available in the coming months. I think Nissan will continue to sell about 1,000 a month till Smyrna plant comes online.

There's no need to go chasing $40K LEAFs; there are plenty of orphans and demo cars in California right now at MSRP or even below. Mossy has twenty or more, AV Nissan has a couple... Even with shipping cross-country, these LEAFs would cost $35K to $37K.

Any dealer I caught advertising $40K LEAFs would be crossed off my list.... except maybe as a drop-off point for the car I bought elsewhere.

-Karl

May be the dealers think the customers will negotiate it down - so they mark it up for starters. Either way - I guess the demand will determine the price.

IBELEAF said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
priced at $40,000? no wonder they are not selling

That's what most likely happen with Focus EV at that price...

that is exactly what will happen. the FFEV will sell, but like any other high end car. never more than 500 units a month.

it maybe a few bucks but there is a huge psychological difference between "high 20's" and "low 30's"

when the price after incentives starts at "3" we have just eliminated 60% of the potential market. (keep in mind, our corporate-fueled greed and Wall Street eliminated another 30%)

my Leaf should i decide to purchase it today after 10 lease payments will cost me more than $1000 less than my 2010 solar Prius with NAV that was paid for tax free, cash out the door on a special Priority Purchase Program which essentially saved me another $2,000.

so i paid nowhere near MSRP for the Prius (well,no one does anymore) paid zero finance charges, $150 in total fees (no sales tax remember?) and the Leaf is still cheaper. THAT is one hell of a selling point.

keep in mind, i am ignoring the CSD (Costs Since Delivery) factor that tells me that mile for mile, its cost me $638.47 or so more to drive the Prius. (saved about $50 by getting filters wholesale online and replacing myself. a 4 minute DIY)

I searched cars.com and called a lot of dealers in the southeast region, and almost all of them were demos, or sold. I called on at least 50 Leafs, no exaggeration. I did find one that was available, but the same dealer had 4 listed. I paid MSRP + $300 sales tax in TN. Also, all of the dealers aren't allowed to sell their 2011 Demos. From what I was told by several dealers during my search, they have to keep the demo as a demo for 5-6 months before they can sell.

That's my experience with cars.com Leafs as well. Few of them are truly available.

Back