Lost 5th bar today. Still cruisin'

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RegGuheert said:
Bad news: You have now lost five capacity bars. :cry:
Good news: You still have five more white capacity bars before you get down into the red zone! ;)

Thanks again for educating us on what happens beyond the loss of the fourth capacity bar! Our LEAF seems to be where yours was about two-and-a-half years ago!

I have a few questions if you don't mind:

- What is your approximate SOC % when you arrive home each day?
- At what SOC % do you now get the LBW? (I currently see LBW at around 25%. You must be quite a bit higher!)
- I assume your pack is very well balanced when fully charged. Do you happen to have a plot of the cell voltages as the lowest one passes through 3.712V? (I am thinking your cells are degrading very evenly, but I still suspect that one or two still may not pass CVLI. This may become important to those of us who will not benefit from the capacity warranty.)
I do have a few CVLI fails at low SOC but no significant outliers like I've seen on this forum. I haven't looked recently but will now that you ask. I don't know what SOC I hit LBW and VLBW (I get both these days - no longer bothers me) but I am at around 20% when I get home. If you really want data, check out my log here. Some additional plots on the [charts] tab.

TickTock said:
I do have a few CVLI fails at low SOC but no significant outliers like I've seen on this forum. I haven't looked recently but will now that you ask. I don't know what SOC I hit LBW and VLBW (I get both these days - no longer bothers me) but I am at around 20% when I get home. If you really want data, check out my log here. Some additional plots on the [charts] tab.
Thanks!

TickTock said:
Exactly. I did consider the chance I will get a 3 bar pack but the idea that the chances increase with time is pure speculation. I think it is low (if not zero) and on the other side of the balance is the more credible idea that the chances of me getting the lizard pack increases the longer I hold out.

FWIW, I've already been told by my service advisor (in TX) that "he's got a new 'lizard' pack waiting for me" when I drop the fourth bar. I think we're in that period where Nissan is exhausting their supply of "old" battery packs without exactly stockpiling the "new" battery packs; what I don't know is how long that lasts.

TickTock said:
Still working for me. My commute is 49 miles round trip and I usually still have 7-10 miles left when I get home. ...
Be good to yourself and others and get a new lizard battery. Then tell us about how it degrades, as your driving 85 mph on the freeway. :)

dhanson865 said:
I added your 5th bar loss to the wiki but I don't see a 4 bar loss entry, can you add it or point me to the 4th bar info?
I can't find the post either but on my log, it shows occuring on 06/27/2014. ODO: 40755; SOH: 63%; Hx:42.4

Great info as always TickTock :D
Wonderful contribution :D

Could you clarify why the graph has three red first bar loss data points, three orange second bar loss data points, and two green three bar loss data points?
Also why the two strange outlier 100% SOH data points?

TimLee said:
Great info as always TickTock :D
Wonderful contribution :D

Could you clarify why the graph has three red first bar loss data points, three orange second bar loss data points, and two green three bar loss data points?
Also why the two strange outlier 100% SOH data points?
Thanks. I have extra points because on two separate occasions during a dealer inspection, they reset my BMS . This caused my SOH to read 100% for a day and the cap bars to reset back to all 12. It took six months for them to finally return too the correct state.

TickTock said:
RegGuheert said:
Bad news: You have now lost five capacity bars. :cry:
Good news: You still have five more white capacity bars before you get down into the red zone! ;)

Thanks again for educating us on what happens beyond the loss of the fourth capacity bar! Our LEAF seems to be where yours was about two-and-a-half years ago!

I have a few questions if you don't mind:

- What is your approximate SOC % when you arrive home each day?
- At what SOC % do you now get the LBW? (I currently see LBW at around 25%. You must be quite a bit higher!)
- I assume your pack is very well balanced when fully charged. Do you happen to have a plot of the cell voltages as the lowest one passes through 3.712V? (I am thinking your cells are degrading very evenly, but I still suspect that one or two still may not pass CVLI. This may become important to those of us who will not benefit from the capacity warranty.)
Here's the CVLI . Only one failed CP , but few more close. This was taken at 16 gids.

Attachments

• Bar5c.jpg
    Bar5c.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 130
Pipcecil said:
ticktock's efficiency is really good.
I think the efficiency plot is illuminating. You can see I have been steadily improving my efficiency this year as the battery degrades so I can continue to make the round trip.

Attachments

• efficiency.jpg
    efficiency.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 83
Wow :!: :!:
Maybe my calm, zen driving will improve with disappearing capacity bars.

Maybe not.
Still hard to not use the LEAF acceleration to tell some moron in an ICE passing you on the right where the lane runs out in less than 1000 feet and where 60% of the time you have to stop anyway that now is the time for them to chill out and pull back in behind you.

TickTock: If you wait long enough you will charge 100% to.... <drumroll> LBW.

Please tell me that you practice hypermiling techniques coasting in 'Neutral' whenever possible to get those high efficiencies..?

TickTock said:
Hx: 36.0
Some have speculated that loss of regeneration that some think was caused by P3227 was instead caused by increasing battery resistance.
How bad is your loss of regeneration with a really low Hx: 36.0 :?:
How bad was it before P3227 :?:
What was Hx then :?:

Say, I was just editing the wiki, can you give me a manufactured date for that Leaf? It's the only missing field I'm curious about.

Back