Lock door while FOB in car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jpadc said:
mwalsh said:
Why do cars even still have those stalks anyhow?
Well, I'm sure if there was an electrical failure (e.g., in an accident) you would be glad there was a manual way to unlock the door to escape a fire or flood.

sorry but stalks have nothing to do with that. the real question is why is the car not idiot proof? does it require the key to be in the ignition to operate?

I have never been in a car of any kind that did not have a manual lock option

"You must have it set to auto unlock when put in Park.
My 2011 locks fine with the Leaf in Ready and the heat running from the drivers door lock button inside the car.

clarify?

when I walk away I can hit lock on the remote and the doors lock and stay locked.

but if someone gets out of the car and presses the "lock" button the car immediately "unlocks" the doors again on its own. the only way to lock it is with the fob.

what setting do I need to look for? where is it? I DO like that when I turn off the car the doors auto unlock. they do NOT unlock when I simply press park.

nerys said:
...when I walk away I can hit lock on the remote and the doors lock and stay locked.

but if someone gets out of the car and presses the "lock" button the car immediately "unlocks" the doors again on its own. the only way to lock it is with the fob.

You are correct about not being able to lock the LEAF with it in Ready using the inside lock button when leaving the vehicle.
With the door open it will not lock.
My post was incorrect and I deleted it.

I think the LEAF does that because knowing the fob location is not that precise and it wants to avoid someone locking the vehicle with the fob inside.

But once you close the door the easiest approach is to lock the LEAF by pushing the button on the door handle.
With the LEAF in Ready with HVAC running one push locks all the doors.
I use it a lot in very cold or very hot weather.

Of course it does have the risk that someone can break into the vehicle and drive it away :eek:
Fortunately that hasn't happened to me yet :?

Door button does not work when fob is not around.

Drive away? Its a first gen electric. They wont get very far :)

Then I gps to them and eat them.

TimLee said:
I love this feature. It was something my Prius would not do and I actually had a separate physical key made that I left in the center console and used it while running in to a place for coffee (etc.). I was pleasantly surprised when I learned the LEAF would do this with just the touch of a button. Handy (and pretty low risk).

nerys said:
Door button does not work when fob is not around.
Correct, only works with fob that is coded into the LEAF in proximity of the door.

Other people in the vehicle can lock it from inside if the doors are closed.
But if they don't have a fob they cannot leave the vehicle in Ready and lock it.

jpadc said:
TimLee said:
I love this feature. It was something my Prius would not do and I actually had a separate physical key made that I left in the center console and used it while running in to a place for coffee (etc.). I was pleasantly surprised when I learned the LEAF would do this with just the touch of a button. Handy (and pretty low risk).

too much work. I just hit the inside lock on my Prius then hit the auto up button to close the window...

oh ****. that is genius and that should work too!!! I am going to have to try that!

DaveinOlyWA said:
too much work. I just hit the inside lock on my Prius then hit the auto up button to close the window...
Oh you who live in nice climates... but it does rain there :D That and I think you want want to double (even triple) check that the FOB was on the outside with you before you did that....

jpadc said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Oh you who live in nice climates... but it does rain there :D That and I think you want want to double (even triple) check that the FOB was on the outside with you before you did that....

Thank you so much for the compliment!! its been a long long time since anyone thought Puget Sound and Western Washington had great weather (at least for the rainy 8 months a year!)

**lives in Olympia, WA aka "THE rainiest City in the United Stateshttp://www.nbcnews.com/id/18827213#.VOTulfnF-UU" its not by volume, its by the fact that we average 240 precip days (more than .01 inches) along with 63 rainy days a year BUT

Olympia only ranks 24th in the US for rainfall (50 inches) and Seattle for all its nasty reputation (perpetuated by Washingtonians to prevent overcrowding) barely makes the top 100...

so what I need you to do is keep your opinion secret. if the truth gets out, we will be as overpopulated as California!!

My fob stays around my neck so i am not to concerned about leaving it in the car :)

DaveinOlyWA said:
Thank you so much for the compliment!! its been a long long time since anyone thought Puget Sound and Western Washington had great weather (at least for the rainy 8 months a year!)
Where I'm at in Wisconsin right now, its now -7F with a couple of feet of snow (LEAF not with me on this trip) so yes, I'll go with you have nice weather. Its all perspective.

jpadc said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Where I'm at in Wisconsin right now, its now -7F with a couple of feet of snow (LEAF not with me on this trip) so yes, I'll go with you have nice weather. Its all perspective.

Amen to that and ya, you likely get a lot more rain than we do as well. I don't miss Midwest Winters. had my share

Sorry if I missed it. Is there a limit to the amount of time the battery can be out of the FOB before it forgets its mission in life?

LeftieBiker said:
buddyMac said:
Sorry if I missed it. Is there a limit to the amount of time the battery can be out of the FOB before it forgets its mission in life?

I would guess so, but I don't know how long it takes.

My spare FOB worked fine after staying without a battery for at least two months. I expect it has flash memory that will retain indefinitely for all practical purposes.

Back