Front Passenger Door Lock Not Working

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egl898

I have a 2019 Leaf SV, 40 kW, where the passenger front door lock stopped working with either the key fob or the interior driver side lock button. I can still lock or unlock it manually. All other the doors locks work with key fob and master button. I tried a little WD40 in the lock mechanism and on the button itself, but no go. I'm thinking it may be an electrical actuator issue for that door. The car is still under the original 3-year factory warranty, so that is still an option of there is not a quick fix.

The button is just a switch. It sounds like either a loose connection in the circuit for that particular actuator or the electric actuator itself (located inside the door). Let your dealer fix it under warranty.

Note that WD-40, while it will fee up mechanisms that have rusted or gotten gummed up (sometimes by an earlier application of WD-40), is NOT a good lubricant or a long term one. The solvent out-gasses quickly, and what is left turns to sticky sludge in weeks or months.

I suggest that you not tell the dealership that you used it, because they may then choose to void the warranty on the lock.

I would say it's better to go a local emergency locksmith service to take a look at the problem. Using WD-40 may fix this issue for a while but if there is a bigger problem, next time you will have more headache. Try to fix this problem once and for all

I am having the same issue with my 2019 LEAF. What did you end up doing to fix the problem?

They all went to their local mechanic/dealer to get it fixed.

The things that can go wrong are:
- Lock is disabled
- Mechanical issue with the door lock
- Issue with the buttons
- Wiring issue

You need to narrow down the issue to one of these.

Check the child lock on the door. Is it engaged? Disengage and attempt to lock/unlock again

Does the lock attempt to actuate (can you hear a muffled click or something trying to move itself when attempting to lock that door)? If it tries to and can't, it's a mechanical issue with the door lock actuator and it either needs to be remobilized or the actuator needs to be replaced.

Does one button work but another doesn't (e.g. does the door lock button on the door itself not work, but the central locking button does? Does the car still fully lock and unlock with the keyfob? Probably a defective button.

If it doesn't do anything at all, a wire might have been snagged, bitten through or a fuse may be popped. Consult the service manual for fuse positions

Back