Leviton EVSE availibilty update.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn57

Good evening,

I've just joined the forum a few minutes ago. Maybe I can provide a bit of information for you.

Leviton Residential Level 1 & 2 charging stations were due to be available from the distribution centers next week, the first week of May. Pricing information to distributors was also due on Monday.

As of today, Leviton has pushed the availability back to 1 June for reasons unknown to me at this time.

FYI, the Schneider Electric Resi stations are available right now. However, due to distributor contractual agreements, dealers are not supposed to sell via the Internet and outside of their selling area.

As you may know, the retail pricing the SE EV2430WS is $1200. The EV230WSR is $1800.

If I can answer any other questions, let me know.

Cheers !

Glenn57

This sounds like a thinly veiled plug for the Schneider EVSE with a clever title that belies its true intent. The AV EVSE is cheaper, even at the increased cash and carry price of $995.

Hello Stoaty,

Actually, it wasn't meant to be a plug for the SE unit. My personal opinion is that the Leviton is overall, a better unit. As I do have some relevant information, my thoughts were to pass it along to the forum members. You can take it as you want.

There are some limiting distribution factors for SE that I won't go into here. That may be a topic for a different thread.

Up until I got the word today, I was ready to place an order on Monday. Now, the decision is, do I go for the SE now or wait for the Leviton at the end of the month.

I hope that Leviton at least publishes their pricing on Monday and I'll post here. At least the forum members will know the list price and whether their supplier is "profiteering" like the dealers are, with the cars.

I hope this addresses some of your concerns.

Cheers !

Glenn57

Stoaty said:
This sounds like a thinly veiled plug for the Schneider EVSE with a clever title that belies its true intent.
Couldn't this also just be an electrical supplier who wants to sell all EVSEs, and is limited at the moment due to the pushback from Leviton? With the post specifically stating that Schneider reps are not supposed to be selling out of their area, what exactly does this poster have to gain by this "plug"?

Additionally, the Schneider EVSE may MSRP at a higher price, but a local Schneider dealer may sell it for much cheaper (mine did), while AV is going to not sell it for anything but $995.

Glenn57 said:
whether their supplier is "profiteering" like the dealers are, with the cars.

Off topic, but dealers are profiteering on the cars??? If you've paid attention here, most dealers are selling at or below MSRP, except for the rare dealer who charges an up-charge on an orphan car that is refused by the customer who ordered it.

Now back to your previously scheduled discussion.

I am holding out for Leviton. Actally I may wait until next year for tax reasons. I expect click and buy pricing by then.

I really like the idea of the Leviton 160 at 16a (20a circuit). Will SE have anything in this range rather than the 30a unit?

To answer a couple of the comments,

I do happen to work as a supplier, however on the heavy industrial side. I don't work on the resi side as it's very cyclical and fickle. We don't happen to sell "all" EVSE's, just two brands and concentrate on the commercial units. However, I have the information and as mentioned thought it may be helpful to pass along.

Whether you pay list or not, I say to score the best deal out there you can and pass that info along to the forum members.

Regarding the profiteering or "market adjustment", I speak of the Seattle area and from past experience with other cars and in other locals.

Regarding the higher amperage stations, I only know of the SE resi 30A indoor and outdoor units. If I hear of a higher rated unit, I'll pass it along.

Have a great evening.

Glenn57

if the Evr Green 160 was selling for $ 1300 + $ 80 for the pre-wire kit how many would be interested ?
I am trying to see if we should be carrying it.

Mx5racer said:
if the Evr Green 160 was selling for $ 1300 + $ 80 for the pre-wire kit how many would be interested ?
I am trying to see if we should be carrying it.

So now we're finally "talking turkey":
1) I know I don't need a pre-wire kit
2) Are you talking "list" or "final"; if the latter, I would think that a "low-power" unit (like the 160--which is what I'm after), would come in < $1000.

$995 for the AV unit without installation is overpriced. The Leviton should come in below that price to be attractive. It really should be targeting $500 and going lower.

$1300 + $80 for the Leviton alone without installation is pretty crazy. For that much money, just buy the Ford branded Leviton from Best Buy that includes installation for $1499. Installation also needs to come down to $500 and go down from there - Sheesh! It's just a bloody dryer outlet and a top notch residential electrician is $75 / hour! At the current low volume, over burdened inflated costs, the value of the installation is well over half of the $1499, so hardware alone should definitely be well under $700 to be remotely in the ballpark of the Ford branded Best Buy offering. http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1053332_coming-soon-to-best-buy-electric-car-home-charging-stations

$ 1300 would be the discounted price.
I find it to be disappointingly high also.
on the other hand an upgraded Nissan unit is $789+

I still like the fact that it only needs my existing 10g wires from the unused dryer outlet.

Mx5racer said:
$ 1300 would be the discounted price.
I find it to be disappointingly high also.
on the other hand an upgraded Nissan unit is $789+

I still like the fact that it only needs my existing 10g wires from the unused dryer outlet.

$239+ if you send yours in. Gives portable charging and lots of time to wait for wall units to drop in price.

Good morning,

Just an update on P&A. I talked with the Leviton rep late yesterday and no further info has been released at this time. As mentioned, I'll pass along when it's available.

On a separate note, a friend who's pretty familiar with both the Leviton and Eaton (Cutler Hammer) gives the thumbs up towards the Leviton. He didn't mention specifics.

Regarding pricing, I would strongly agree that pricing from the major manufacturers is too high, but then again, the bean counters may have a strong say in the "list" price.

Cheers !

Glenn57

Good morning,

As I mentioned earlier in the week, I'd try to provide updates as I get them. As of today, there is still no information from the factory as to when pricing and resi units will be available. Of course, the commercial units were brought out first and are proving to be well received.

The factory realizes that they are missing sales.

Have a great weekend.

Glenn57

Folks,

I've just asked our Leviton rep again. No pricing info yet. Both he and I agree this may be a case of marketing getting ahead of production and distribution. This happens often with various products.

I'll keep you posted.

Glenn57

JasonT said:
Stoaty said:
This sounds like a thinly veiled plug for the Schneider EVSE with a clever title that belies its true intent.
Couldn't this also just be an electrical supplier who wants to sell all EVSEs, and is limited at the moment due to the push-back from Leviton? With the post specifically stating that Schneider reps are not supposed to be selling out of their area, what exactly does this poster have to gain by this "plug"?

Additionally, the Schneider EVSE may MSRP at a higher price, but a local Schneider dealer may sell it for much cheaper (mine did), while AV is going to not sell it for anything but $995.

Local Schneider dealer in Los Angeles area quoted me roughly $925. Cheaper than AV new price, might be negotiable.
Seriously considering waiting it out and only using the 110V charger for a few months. Until some real volume hits the streets there won't be any price competition..

Maybe the DIY community will just come up with a J1772 protocol kit that can do the proper signaling by then. At this point I can't even get my hands on the spec so I can see what circuitry is needed!

Back