Leviton Evr-Green EVSE Info/Pics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smkettner said:
Looks like Home Depot raised the Leviton L1 price ~$90.
I thought the 160 level 2 would come in close to 700 but now looks $800+ :|

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...NT_ID&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&langId=-1

for that kind of money, you are better off with the the Schnieder EV2430WS at Home Depot, which is a full 7.2KW capable EVSE for $729 free shipping. Why not get better future capabilitys for less money?

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Auto-Electric-Car-Chargers/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbzjt/R-202963679/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leviton 160 only needs 20a circuit so that might save on other upgrades depending on the situation.
Leviton 160 is outdoor rated and the Schneider is indoor only.

Otherwise I thought the Leviton would come in lower than Schneider. Must be the metal box.

Originally the Leviton 160 was to be available with a custom length cable and aluminum or stainless box.
These options now seem to have dissappeared along with some of the accessories such as J connector cap.

(my schnider should be delivered today :) )

smkettner said:
Leviton 160 only needs 20a circuit so that might save on other upgrades depending on the situation.
Leviton 160 is outdoor rated and the Schneider is indoor only.

Otherwise I thought the Leviton would come in lower than Schneider. Must be the metal box.

Originally the Leviton 160 was to be available with a custom length cable and aluminum or stainless box.
These options now seem to have dissappeared along with some of the accessories such as J connector cap.

(my schnider should be delivered today :) )

Yup, my Schnieder is already installed :)

well, if you have ampacity limits, the SPX PowerExpress is actually something to consider, it has 12A, 16A, 24A and 32A settings, so you are covered for 15, 20, 30 and 40 AMP circuits, its also outdoor rated, and its selling for $749 + shipping, so that also has the Leviton 160 beat on specs and price as well. Its just a little, well, no way to hide it, ugly and industrial looking.

My Leviton Evr-Green 160 arrived today, however the pre-installation kit will be a few more days. The 160 seems to be very sturdily constructed, heavy gauge metal case and huge (for 16A) cables. It makes the cable on the Nissan/Panasonic unit look puny by comparison. I tested the Leviton 160 by using an adapter cable into my dryer outlet; the lights come on and it goes through the self-test. My plan is to get it installed before the end of the year so I can take the 30% tax credit. And I should be ordering the car in days, so my LEAF delivery will be (optimistically) in March, but maybe as late as May...

The electrician was here to help me do the installation this afternoon. My "Alternative Fueled Vehicle Refueling Property" placed into service 2011/12/17. Woo-hoo! Of course, I also have the modified Nissan/Panasonic unit for backup, which can be plugged into the Leviton's 6-20R or the dryer's 10-30R using the appropriate adapters.
evse1.jpg

evse2.jpg

I also thought not providing the Leviton 160 plug with a dust cover was pretty lousy. However, a plastic bathroom cup fits the plug perfectly. And the price is right.

eeman said:
I also thought not providing the Leviton 160 plug with a dust cover was pretty lousy. However, a plastic bathroom cup fits the plug perfectly. And the price is right.
My thought is that, if the plug is outdoors as mine is, it's probably better to leave it uncapped so rain water drains out. It appears to be designed so that, so long as it's hanging normally, water will not get into the contacts even when it's raining. We'll see how I feel about that in 6 months...

My install kit was late. I received the charger 2 days after ordering it from amazon. You do not really need the install kit. There is a slotted screw hole in the case and a hole above the bracket screw.

I went to home depot and purchased a plug, cover, and electrical box for about $8. When the mounting kit finally arrived I got a return tag from Amazon.

This is not water resistant like the Levitron kit but since it is mounted inside my garage that does not matter at all.

I agree with the other posters that the supplied cable is over kill for the 16 amps.

I was curious to see if the charger really charges at 16A so I put a clamp on ampmeter on one of the power wires. Sure enough, it read exactly 16A.

tps said:
smkettner said:
I really wish Leviton had gone with the lighter weight cord same as the OEM unit.
I actually like the beefy cable, but maybe my opinion will change after a few months of use...

I'm thinking along the same lines. Shows quality, I think. At least some extra protection against abrasion and strain of the conductors. I haven't used it yet, so I'm interested in whether or not it's become any annoyance to you by now?

Have been using the Leviton 160 since approx. April last year. I throw it into my trunk when needed for longer distances. Have to self made dongle to connect to dryer plug. Just runs great.

Back