Leviton Evr-Green EVSE Info/Pics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roughneck said:
Since I wanted the mounting base plate I had to order the EVK-02 installation kit. I did not use any of the materials in this kit except the base plate. The charger itself has an eyelit type hanging opening on the back that may suffice but the base plate makes for a more secure installation.

Someone needs to come up with a "base plate only" design/option for this unit. I would say Leviton should include it with the EVSE (not part of an add-on kit), but they've priced this unit so far out of sight relative to it's functionality that I hesitate to think what they value the base plate (essentially a piece of metal) at.

Vampire load, size, weight, usability, construction, weather-resistance comparisons with tge SPX switchable-current EVSE, please?

Price: SPX about $200 less
Voltage: SPX also works on 120v
Max-Current Setting: SPX adds 12, 24, 30 (or 32?) amps to the 16
Weight: SPX less
Size: SPX smaller
Weather-Proof: ??
Construction Ruggedness: ??
Robust Electronics: ??
J1772 cable length: ??
J1772 cable and plug Current Rating: ??
UL Listing: ??
Listed for Outdoor Use: ??

smkettner said:
Home Depot currently sells the L1 online for $609 ($950 list price)

This may point to the L2 Leviton 160 selling just under $700? ($1050 list price)

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...NT_ID&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&langId=-1

Actually, if you click on your link, they already are selling the Schnieder (Square D) L2 unit for $729, although they do have the installation mounting plate for the Leviton listed. I can't see them selling both, what would be the point?

smkettner said:
So you can have your electrician install the circuit and the plate. Then you just need the 160 when available for a quick self install.

I think your better off with the Schnieder (or SPX), its a 32A EVSE (same as the AV unit), total price for it is $729 @ Home Depot. The Leviton will be more, and its the mounting plate, and is a 16A EVSE...

mitch672 said:
Actually, if you click on your link, they already are selling the Schnieder (Square D) L2 unit for $729,
Yes and the Schneider has a better look for a finished garage. Leviton 160 looks a bit industrial, I am perfectly fine with the 16a rating. GE Wattstation is too bulky but I do like the click in J holder. SPX is too flimsy but adds portability and flexible connectivity that I don't need so much.

I am leaning to the Schneider at this point for the modern look.

Flimsy was a bad word. It just looks like a brick to be on the floor rather than a wall mount unit. I have a finished garage with built in cabinets, epoxy floor etc so it looks more like a temporary drop cord than a nice wall unit.

Maybe if it came with a matched cord hook and J plug holder.

Agree, the unit does not have the most "home friendly" appearance but I'm quite happy with it. The Schneider unit really looks like it belongs to a lab, very sharp.

I've been waiting for the L2 Leviton to get to distributors for the discount. However, I'm still having a problem with the "mounting plate" being an additional charge; I don't get where they assume that someone who needs to mount the unit ALSO needs to install an outlet. I'm considering fabricating a mounting plate on my own (based on the Leviton install bulletin). Or maybe there's a way to mount it without the metal plate?

smkettner said:
Pretty sure you can just bolt it to the wall. Then add your own hook or mount it high enough to drape the cord over the box.

Not directly; there's no way to drive a bolt/screw/whatever from the front of the unit. That's why they have a mounting plate (which you CAN screw directly into the wall). I guess I'm convincing myself to get a metal plate and drill the necessary holes; I refuse to pay Leviton another $50 for a piece of metal (I already have a 220v outlet).

Stanton said:
smkettner said:
Pretty sure you can just bolt it to the wall. Then add your own hook or mount it high enough to drape the cord over the box.

Not directly; there's no way to drive a bolt/screw/whatever from the front of the unit. That's why they have a mounting plate (which you CAN screw directly into the wall). I guess I'm convincing myself to get a metal plate and drill the necessary holes; I refuse to pay Leviton another $50 for a piece of metal (I already have a 220v outlet).

eeman said:
I received my Leviton EVB22-3PM charger yesterday. My electrician purchased it for me for $1,000 and brought it to my house. He wired in the appropriate 240V socket that he purchased for a couple of bucks, mounted the unit on the wall using a single screw, plugged it into the socket and I started charging my car. Everything was accomplished in about fifteen minutes. I refused to buy the installation kit so I will now look for a mounting bracket that will work for the unit. My electrician had previously ran the wires from my circuit breaker box to the location for the charger. That charge was $220. The total cost for the charger and installation should be less than $1300.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/posting.php?mode=quote&f=26&p=130036
Toward the end of page two.

Valdemar said:
I have an older electric dryer outlet in my garage, I think it is on a 40-Amp breaker. Can I connect a Leviton charger to it?
The Leviton 160 has a NEMA 6-20 plug or hardwire option. You could make an adapter and plug in just fine. If you want to plug in direct you would need to swap the outlet to the 6-20 and put in a 20a breaker to meet code. Might be best to have an electrician do the work. With the circuit already pulled it should be an easy install.

Back