Lessons Learned, what Hydrogen did wrong

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to see the price of hydrogen if it was to cover the full operating cost and provide a 10% return on the initial cost.
I agree it would probably be lower cost to give 50% or more direct rebate on any EV.

http://nissannews.com/releases/dcbe806e-6c8d-4079-a7c9-dd21a590b779/download/d5bf044d-18ea-4d73-a8b3-13e746f7f5ec?l=en-US

Nissan's non hydrogen, hydrogen fuel cell.

key points
not on market yet
SOFC fuel cell (similar to bloom box - not like hydrogen fuel cells that uses platinum group metals)
uses on ethanol, ethanol/water mix, so is suitable for even electricity free areas (ie remote brazil)
water/ethanol mix is considered safe enough for home refueling.

VodCar

its an interesting tech, some observers think the only way fuel cells would be practical is without hydrogen or platinum, so this covers both those issues.

now it just needs a plug

smkettner said:
I would like to see the price of hydrogen if it was to cover the full operating cost and provide a 10% return on the initial cost.
I agree it would probably be lower cost to give 50% or more direct rebate on any EV.

that depends alot on which day in the week has the most expensive capacity requirements.

lets say Friday requires 200kg H2 per 24hr day, but 160kg H2 for peak capacity. (and 180kg H2 for 1hour capacity)

suppose a friendly H2 station has
peak capacity 25kg
1 hour capacity 160kg
24 hour capacity 200kg

on Friday it is 6x under capacity. Or put another way, a H2 station must have 6x the name plate capacity if it is to provide acceptable service.

this is really expensive with 700bar h2, why did a normal service station have 6 browsers when 1 browser could handle the 24hour capacity requirements. Initial rollout should be ok, H2 cars are so scarce, that they stay below the 1/6 of station requirements, but at that rate, the stations will never make money.

other days are easier, but H2 wait failure once a week is not acceptable when the competitors can top up to 200+miles at home overnight.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-07/california-considers-change-to-fuel-rules-as-tesla-cries-foul
once Tesla, Nissan and Chevy start selling 200mile EVs in CARB states, the price of ZEV credits will fall so far that it remain so much cheaper to buy a credit from Tesla/ Nissan/GM than it is for a car manufacturer to subsidize its H2 fool cell rollout.

Thus starts a death spiral, as H2 vehicles disappear from manufacturers roll out forecast, the station make even more loss.
Combined with extra H2 stations courtesy of VW diesel scandal settlement. and the H2 stations make even greater loss, thus the cycle self perpetuates.

I don't think this is a acceptable for CARB, they must restrict the transfer/value of BEV ZEVs if H2 is not implode by 12 months after Tesla model 3 rollout.

ydnas7 said:
I don't think this is a acceptable for CARB, they must restrict the transfer/value of BEV ZEVs if H2 is not implode by 12 months after Tesla model 3 rollout.
From the linked article: "The board could strengthen the mandate by simply raising the number of credits and sales automakers need to comply."

Best solution, and don't restrict the sale/transfer of ZEV credits. Let the market decide, hydrogen will die.

re: edatoakrun's http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/zevtutorial/zev_tutorial_webcast.pdf

CARB's H2 fuel cell lift off commences 2018
1ttsef.jpg

but
firstly there seems to be new op out, called GHG overcompliance
wt9mo2.jpg

roughly 1 long range vehicle equals 6 plug in hybrids
r1k8ht.jpg

travel provision
1 Fuel Cell ZEV can be recycled over multiple states, so 1 ZEV /= 1 ZEV
1250zs4.jpg

this is interesting, if Toyota and Honda can use overcompliance and travel provisions, they only need to sell' negligible amounts of H2 vehicles into an ever increasing ZEV market. Having said that, Toyota and Honda are the big ZEV credit buyers, so its just about to get much worse for them.

CARBs forecast for H2 vehicles
o89ppw.jpg

CARBs favorite company FirstElementFuels
https://www.hydrogen.energy.gov/pdfs/htac_nov14_10_stephens.pdf

if CARB can't force the automakers to make H2 cars, then the H2 network never becomes sustainable.

Currently the H2 network builders are burning money, mostly Californian government money, and some Japanese loans.
When automakers can just put in 60kWh of batterys, why even bother with H2? when there will be Bolt, LEAF 2
why expect rich areas of California to drive Mirai? when there is Tesla 3
why sell H2 cars when Toyota and Honda can opt out with GHG overcompliance credits?

so many new questions have arisen in the last year.

10,000 fuel cell vehicles 2 years from now... also, I have some nice swamp land in Florida available for purchase--first come, first served. ;)

so the USA first adopters of Mirai at $499/month is all used up, can't get a precise figure because Toyota's use of employee discount leases at the final month. perhaps it was about 300 vehicles.

now Toyota needs to use $350/month leases, lets see what that stabilise out to per month.

If wholesale Hydrogen was free, and all other costs were free, than a H2 station may need about 2,500 litres sold per month to cover P&I loan only.
At 15 litres per car month, that requires a fleet of about 170 cars per month per station just to pay the bank.

See the train wreck happening slowly? Some car manufacturer MUST provide onroad about 10k H2 cars to service the proposed 48 station rollout. Add in hydrogen costs, labour, maintenance etc and that figures jumps to perhaps 30k H2 cars. Increase the station count to 75 and that figure jumps to 50k H2 cars.

See the train wreck happening slowly? who is going to finance these stations? LEAF 2, Bolt, Prime, T3 are all coming. used model S are already here

ydnas7 said:
If wholesale Hydrogen was free, and all other costs were free, than a H2 station may need about 2,500 litres sold per month to cover P&I loan only. At 15 litres per car month, that requires a fleet of about 170 cars per month per station just to pay the bank.
What's interesting is that stations using on-site electrolysis are only capable of servicing a fleet of about 100 H2 FCVs. So I guess those stations won't be paying their notes without some serious application of OPM. And that ignores the ongoing COSTs of making the fuel and other O&M expenses.

Now imagine how are they going to get thousands of H2 stations all across the U.S. in all the cities?!?

I can't even imagine how long this would take, how long did it take to get our gasoline station infrastructure in place throughout the U.S. like it is today? I just don't see it being economical to even do it! Let's say it would take 30 years to get H2 in all cities, Image where BEVs will be in 30 years in terms of range, performance and cost!

Natural gas or ethanol fuel cells are the only acceptable solution.

Hydrogen is stupid, unbelievably stupid, why anyone would market such a thing is laughable.

Heck at 700 bar you could run a compressed air car 300 miles, that is how stupid it is.

Back