On hydrogen cars, and making and using your own hydrogen.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bringing this back to life - is there commercial equipment available now which I can use to make hydrogen and fill a FCV at home ? Didn't find anything on that in this thread ...

smkettner said:
Nothing economical. Even if H2 was piped to your house the economics may not work as natural gas filling at home is not well received.
Because you have to compress it! With a 240V compressor

Just read this yesterday, sounds promising...

http://www.theengineer.co.uk/automotive/news/hydrogen-breakthrough-paves-way-for-ammonia-fuelled-cars/1018805.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am sure Toyota and Hyundai will run down the refueling options when you pick up your leased vehicle.
They would surely partner with anything reasonable.

cbdream99 said:
Just read this yesterday, sounds promising...

http://www.theengineer.co.uk/automotive/news/hydrogen-breakthrough-paves-way-for-ammonia-fuelled-cars/1018805.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ammonia low pressure storage of hydrogen doesn't sound like something new, which tells me that there's a reason it hasn't been widely adopted.

evnow said:
So, nothing available- at any price ?
Incorrect. It's well documented in the main H2 thread. Off the shelf H2 generation/dispensing equipment has been available in the US for at least the past 14 years. Small scale hydrolyzers are used in many labs because they use H2 for gas cromatography, there are two homes in the US that are using H2 for renewable storage and to power vehicles, and Honda has home-scale units deployed in a number of countries.

http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/home-energy-station.aspx

Not exactly available...

Q. How and where do I fill up the FCX Clarity FCEV?

A. A number of hydrogen refueling stations can be found in Southern California with others in development. Honda is also working to develop a Home Energy Station that may eventually supply energy to the home while filling up the car right inside the garage.

I think the main risk of DIY hydrogen generation might be from impurities. Fuel cells are extremely sensitive to contaminations, so if the hydrogen production isn't well controlled then the VMs can't really be placed to honour any warranty issues.

smkettner said:
Not exactly available...
Sure it is. Just like the 450 mile FCEV is in production that you can buy right now (and have been for over a year now) Andy mentioned earlier. You just have to believe!

By available, I think Andy refers to anything that some company put out a PR piece on based on R&D projects, not actual products that have reached production.

On this topic I will point out that the growth of both PV and EVs has been accomplished hand-in-hand with an extensive amount of work over several decades by the government to continually develop and improve the building and electrical codes to ensure safety as these systems are widely deployed. If hydrogen grows past two homes in America and becomes something that you can pay an installer to add to your house, then I would expect to see new building codes put in place to allow that to happen safely.

Today it seems that hydrogen is used almost exclusively in a commercial environment.

AndyH said:
evnow said:
Incorrect. It's well documented in the main H2 thread. Off the shelf H2 generation/dispensing equipment has been available in the US for at least the past 14 years. Small scale hydrolyzers are used in many labs because they use H2 for gas cromatography, there are two homes in the US that are using H2 for renewable storage and to power vehicles, and Honda has home-scale units deployed in a number of countries.

I checked the first few pages of the H2 thread. I don't see a place where I can buy FCV fueling equipment that works off of electricity and water. You mention some 2 houses in the US (2 !) who have cobbled up something - that is not the meaning of available for retail sale.

If I missed something let me know.

I'm looking for a place where I can buy the equipment and install in my garage (should be able to fit the car as well - not just the equipment) - just like I've installed the EVSE.

Even the Honda system appears to reform natural gas.
And all I hear is the NG stations are not worth the price and that is just a compressor.
Can't imagine what the reformation and additional compression adds in cost.
Even the picture looks as big as half the vehicle.

Reminds me of the story of the Emperor's New Clothes where everyone hails on how great everything is when actually there is nothing.
Heck we even complain about the cost of EVSEs ;)

I'm not surprised there are no retail units available - afterall there is no use for them, so why would anyone buy them (apart from a handful of curious folks).

evnow said:
AndyH said:
evnow said:

I checked the first few pages of the H2 thread. I don't see a place where I can buy FCV fueling equipment that works off of electricity and water. You mention some 2 houses in the US (2 !) who have cobbled up something - that is not the meaning of available for retail sale.

If I missed something let me know.

I'm looking for a place where I can buy the equipment and install in my garage (should be able to fit the car as well - not just the equipment) - just like I've installed the EVSE.
I guess it's reasonable to check the first few pages of a 92 page thread and decide it doesn't contain the info you seek.

I actually don't think that you're looking for a place to buy equipment to install on your property, otherwise you'd call one of the suppliers for a quote and you'd report back. It's no more reasonable to expect to find home-scale H2 fueling equipment at Lowes the month after the first production FCEV arrived on the West coast than it is to complain about the lack of recycled toner cartridges the month after the first laser printers arrive at high-end computer supply houses.

Enjoy the rest of your week.

Back