Future EV predictions, anyone?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
I don't think it's 100% sealed, otherwise the fluid won't be able to drain out of the reservoir.

Fluid only moves from the reservoir as the caliper pistons move outwards, and this doesn't require any air space in the lines - air bubbles can't be present, or the system won't work. There is no flowing brake fluid in contact with air under normal circumstances, AFAIK, except for the small amount of air in the reservoir.
Yes it's not 100% sealed, as you said if it were there'd be nothing to replace the fluid as the brake pads wore down. Of course thats not much and if you don't frequently remove the cap(or really ever need to with a see-through brake fluid reservoir) it keeps moisture to brake fluid transfer down to a minimum. The only time you have to remove the cap is if you have a leak for an emergency refill, otherwise by the time the fluid gets down to the MIN line, it should be just about time to replace the brake pads. People that constantly refill the reservoir as the brake pads wear only have to suck out all the excess fluid when the pads are eventually replaced with new ones. If you don't constantly refill, after you put in new pads the fluid level should come back up to the MAX level.

LeftieBiker said:
Dealerships always suggest services based on the "Severe" schedule, even though it doesn't usually apply.
It seems like anything I do is severe.

• Drive in the mountains. (Well, I live in the mountains.)
  • Drive in cold weather. (It keeps dipping down into the 30's F and 20's F (below 0*C))
  • City driving. (I do around 20-40 miles per day with about 15-30 stops.)

If the dealer knew where I lived and what I did with the car they'd probably want me to change the brake fluid every month!

But every 2 years seems to work just fine.

Back