Leaves in the Wild

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveL said:
ebill3 said:
Where the heck are they?Bill
You'll see them if you come up to Seattle/Bellevue/Redmond area. I see a Leaf just about every day now. Sometimes 2 or 3 in a day.
Seriously! Every weekend when I drive from my house (in North Seattle) to the stable where my horse is (off on the eastern edge of Redmond, where you could practically jump a fence and be in Carnation), I swear I see at least one and often two other LEAFs. And it's reached the point that friends will tell me, "Hey, I saw another LEAF today!" (Occasionally that will be followed by, "And it was a black one, so I thought it was yours, and then I realized it wasn't!")

Also, that drive is awesome on the way back. I love watching my regen meter as I coast down Union Hill Road.

Packet said:
Also, that drive is awesome on the way back. I love watching my regen meter as I coast down Union Hill Road.
But, as you claw your way up Union Hill with the heater and defroster going?

Bill

ebill3 said:
Packet said:
But, as you claw your way up Union Hill with the heater and defroster going?
I actually have to dress in many layers for riding in winter anyway -- no heat in the barn -- so I don't tend to run the heater so much on the trip. ;)

Powering up Union Hill isn't great, though.

Not sure what this means but i think its a good sign. Walked out of a 7Eleven yesterday and looking ahead to my LEAF, the kids are plastered against the window and yelling all excitedly at me. As I reach the car and open the door, they are both yelling LEAF, LEAF! Where? Over there daddy! I had walked right past a blue LEAF and not even noticed it. I see them all the time now and am almost not noticing anymore. I wonder how long it took for this to happen to the Prius folks?

On Monday morning, I was at a red light North bound on Loop 360 in Austin, TX. I saw a black Leaf on the side of the road with hazards flashing. I was several cars back in traffic, but thought I might try and pull over and offer some assistance. To my surprise, the leaf took off at a pretty good clip when the light turned green, but stayed on the shoulder with hazards flashing.

I theorized they were staying on the side of the road because they were in 'turtle' mode, but they seemed to be going a bit fast for someone in driving in turtle.

My curiosity was answered when I caught up to the black Leaf with yellow stripes on the wheels following some dude wearing a lot of yellow on an very nice looking bike.

Before I could get a picture with my iPhone, the bike and the Leaf turned onto Spicewood Springs (known for a very large hill by bike riders in Austin). I found a photo online of the same car here: http://www.green.autoblog.com/photos/lance-armstrongs-nissan-leaf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mbutter said:
On Monday morning, I was at a red light North bound on Loop 360 in Austin, TX. I saw a black Leaf on the side of the road with hazards flashing. I was several cars back in traffic, but thought I might try and pull over and offer some assistance. To my surprise, the leaf took off at a pretty good clip when the light turned green, but stayed on the shoulder with hazards flashing.

I theorized they were staying on the side of the road because they were in 'turtle' mode, but they seemed to be going a bit fast for someone in driving in turtle.

My curiosity was answered when I caught up to the black Leaf with yellow stripes on the wheels following some dude wearing a lot of yellow on an very nice looking bike.

Before I could get a picture with my iPhone, the bike and the Leaf turned onto Spicewood Springs (known for a very large hill by bike riders in Austin). I found a photo online of the same car here: http://www.green.autoblog.com/photos/lance-armstrongs-nissan-leaf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is very cool. Too bad you couldn't get a picture!

I'm not sure it EVER really happened to the Prius for a few reasons. The first Gen, based on the Echo, was ugly and nondescript inside and out, and it really wasn't THAT huge a leap in technology compared to an ICE, more evolutionary than revolutionary. The LEAF is different in all those regards. I know I never paid any special attention to the Prius over the years.

TRONZ said:
I wonder how long it took for this to happen to the Prius folks?

TomT said:
I'm not sure it EVER really happened to the Prius for a few reasons. The first Gen, based on the Echo, was ugly and nondescript inside and out, and it really wasn't THAT huge a leap in technology compared to an ICE, more evolutionary than revolutionary. The LEAF is different in all those regards. I know I never paid any special attention to the Prius over the years.

TRONZ said:
I wonder how long it took for this to happen to the Prius folks?

Agreed. However since I got a LEAF I now notice Prius vehicles more often. Almost like they are a second cousin removed :) The LEAF is a halo vehicle for more than it's own brand.

I'll certainly be looking out for the PHEV version of the Prius when it comes on the market.

I probably won't be since, at 12-15 miles electric range, I consider it to be more of a marketing and regulatory ploy than anything else...

JPWhite said:
I'll certainly be looking out for the PHEV version of the Prius when it comes on the market.

TomT said:
I probably won't be since, at 12-15 miles electric range, I consider it to be more of a marketing and regulatory ploy than anything else...

The vehicle will be ideal for my wife to replace her Altima.

Her work is 1.5 miles from the house. So with a 3 mile work commute it will be ideal. It will also work as a backup vehicle for our LEAF when we have to go out of range. Shopping runs of 10-15 miles will also suit her just fine. I don't see it as a ploy at all. If my wife can get 80% of her mileage done on full electric it will be great!!

The Prius should be better priced than other PHEV's making it attractive to me as the complement to the LEAF.

TRONZ said:
I see them all the time now and am almost not noticing anymore. I wonder how long it took for this to happen to the Prius folks?

Definitely depends on where you are.

When I first got my Gen II Prius, it was almost a year before I saw another one on the road. I still notice one whenever I see it, since I only see one Gen II once every few days. I see the Gen III model a bit more often, about once every other day.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's sometime in 2013 before I see another LEAF on the road.

A banner day, as part of a banner week:

Earlier this week I saw one exiting the 101 at Cactus in the Northeast Valley, and then saw one entering the 101 along side me. Mine is Red, the exiting LEAF was Black, the entering LEAF was White.

Then today, I parked along side of one at Home Depot, and then passed one leaving Movie Studio Grill across from Home Depot. The one leaving the MSG was White, the one along side of me was Black.

Other than the dozen I saw live, in person at the Scottsdale Premier of Revenge of the Electric Car, this is the most siteings in one short period of time.

This is exciting.

mbutter said:

Nice to know he's still putting in some miles :)

Last week on I80 heading from Sacramento to Roseville, I noticed that I was being tailgated by a super-aggressive driver - lights flashing at me and the whole nine yards - in the number 3 lane (one over from far right). It took me a second to realize it was a silver Leaf running over to say hello.

Also, when I returned to my car at the Roseville Galleria mall yesterday, I saw that it had made a new friend.

leafsatmall.jpg

Mine's the one in red.

My wife and I were coming into Olympia WA last week. I pulled up to a stop light and there was a blue LEAF in the other lane waiting for the light. His was nice and sparking while mine needed a bath. :oops:

Well, I've had my Leaf since May 13, 2011 and finally spotted my first "Leaf in the wild" last night.
I was checking out the new charging stations at the Cedar Hill Civic Center ( ideal location right across the street from the Cinemark Movie Theatre and there was a White version parked in a charging spot but not charging. It had Don Davis Dealer plates.
I've known they were out there but somehow have never encountered any in my travels around Southwest Dallas County and on my commutes to Las Colinas.

Who was that I waved to in your red LEAF on Campus Drive near Orange County Airport this afternoon?

You seemed to have lettering on the rear of your car that read something like "OFF THE GRID". Tell us more about that.

Amazingly, despite living in probably the least green area of the country (there is no possible way to recycle glass here), it took me just two days of ownership to see another Leaf. After ordering on the first day of tier 4, I picked up my Leaf on Saturday. Today running errands at lunch time, I passed another blue Leaf. There is only one Nissan dealer within 40 miles or so, and they told me they only sold three so it's a bit of a coincidence we passed each other so soon.

We were vacationing in Newberg, OR on Valentine's Day when we came upon a blue Leaf happily plugged in to a Blink EVSE at the Fred Meyer (large grocery/dry-goods chain in Oregon). Sadly, our rental Ford did not have a receptacle for anything but a gas nozzle...

404856_3364979851204_1470388190_33154728_903398727_n.jpg

ok, now seeing about 6-7 Leafs on a regular basis. 2 Volts, 2 MiEVs (could be the same one. have never seen the driver yet)

and a Wheego!!

Back