LeafSpy and ODBII wifi

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husoi

So finally I got my ODBII dongle with Wi-Fi connection.

First the findings with the wee device.
It connects first time (there's a surprise...)
The issue I have with it is, being wifi connection I'm stuck with data connection, phones don't allow you to have multiple data connections so if I'm in LeafSpy I won't have a connection to anything else.
The way around it? Because I'm getting a new phone the old(ish) one will be dedicated to it ;)
The dongle is a Vgate iCar 2 WiFi OBD2 Scanner, the reviews were pretty good and I found a new one for £16
The phone is an Android
Have nothing bad to say about any of them :)

First I tried torque app but didn't like it that much then had a go to LeafSpy lite mostly because is free :) (I know I'm a tight git :p but quickly chagned my mind and went wild, spending £12 on the pro version (LSP).
This is showing to be worthwhile as you get much more information with the pro version.

Data about the car:
Leaf 30kw 81,000 km (you do the conversion if you want)
just under 2 years (1 and 10,4 months)
800QC and 1750 L1/L2

First findings are:
The SOC showing on the dashboard is around 5% (value not percentage of the figure) higher than LSP, this difference drops to 2 points when below 50%
Will have to run it lower later on to see when it goes near 0.

SOH, this goes all over the place. varying from 93.4% to 95.6% depending on the mood I guess...

GID's, there's a tricky one to get right. According to information online this is kinda new unit invented by someone trying to show a number for the available power. Not sure how it works and I'm not too sure of its importance.
According to other places the 30kw is supposed to 365 GID when fully charged (100% on LSP) but, 1 you never get to 100%, second it's a changing figure and moves with the charge so why having 2 figures is something I don't get but who am I to question it.

Tyres: it shows pressure and temperature, although my one is not showing temp in 1 wheel but I just can't be bothered to even worry about it.

You can change some of the hiding settings lick door locking/unlocking courtesy lights and a few others.

You will find out that you need a PhD to operate LSP at full potential but you can still have some fun with a degree :)
The setting will take you around 2 weeks to go over all of it.
while running LSP you will have 2 choices. drive with 1 screen or stay in the car for 3 days trying to spend some time looking out it changes.
One of the few moments you will have to fiddle with it is while you'e charging it but I still prefer to either have a wee nap or go for a walk and try to battle my growing belly :whistle:

In conclusion.

It is definitely a good piece of kit to have so you know how your car is performing and like in F1 you can look at the data and see how you can become a more efficient driver.
I'm looking forward to have it on my new e+LE when I get it next month
But I have no plans to spend too much time fiddling with it. Life is too short to be wasted.

Would I buy it again? Yes
Do I recommend it? Yes but maybe you want to consider the bluetooth version instead wifi as your data connection will be gone (for me still a good thing).
Is LSP worth it? Definitely yes, I waste money on other things that aren't as useful, i rarely drink and don't smoke so I allow me these small luxuries.
When I will be using it? a few times a week while charging and on long trips just for the fun of having a screen with the information changing all the time. :p

husoi said:
being wifi connection I'm stuck with data connection, phones don't allow you to have multiple data connections so if I'm in LeafSpy I won't have a connection to anything else.
The way around it? Because I'm getting a new phone the old(ish) one will be dedicated to it ;)
With a Bluetooth dongle your phone can concurrently connect to the dongle and to the car's Bluetooth, as well as to cellular data.
GID's, there's a tricky one to get right. According to information online this is kinda new unit invented by someone trying to show a number for the available power.
energy, not power
Tyres: it shows pressure and temperature, although my one is not showing temp in 1 wheel but I just can't be bothered to even worry about it.
Those are traction battery temperatures. The 2011-2012 Leafs had four battery temperature sensors, but for 2013+ Nissan changed to three.

Back