LeafSpy Pro on IOS not seeing OBD adaptor

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

here I have a Leaf from 2013. I have seen LeafSpy (non pro; lite, I guess) working on the seller's Android phone using an OBD BT dongle that I do have here.
So far I have not been able to get this dongle with this car to work with my iPhone 11 (iOS 17).
I have tried 2 different dongles (one of them has a ELM327 label on it).
Reading the description of the app very carefully I guess there is only one BT adapter that is working with iOS; if I don't use that I will need a Wifi adapter.
Is there any recommendation on what to look for or will any adapter work?
Any help would be appreciated :)
Regards, J.

If you want an inexpensive, reliable setup to read your Leaf, I suggest a $30 android smart phone and the dongle in my signature. The IOS version of LeafSpy has received less attention than the Android version, IIRC.

justinotherguy said:
here I have a Leaf from 2013. I have seen LeafSpy (non pro; lite, I guess) working on the seller's Android phone using an OBD BT dongle that I do have here.
So far I have not been able to get this dongle with this car to work with my iPhone 11 (iOS 17).
I have tried 2 different dongles (one of them has a ELM327 label on it).
Reading the description of the app very carefully I guess there is only one BT adapter that is working with iOS; if I don't use that I will need a Wifi adapter.
iOS version of Leaf Spy will not work on dongles that are either not wi-fi or don't support Bluetooth LE. Non-Bluetooth LE dongles will NOT work, unlike on the Android version.

The wi-fi dongles are too complicated to set up and not recommended. And, even amongst the above, best to stick w/ones that are known to work with the app on your phone OS. Some will not work and/or aren't supported.

If on iOS and you use say LELink, you don't even need to pair the adapter.

These are example posts straight from the author of Leaf Spy:
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=525414#p525414
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=560228&hilit=lelink#p560228

Hi,

thanks for your quick response! :)

LeftieBiker said:
If you want an inexpensive, reliable setup to read your Leaf, I suggest a $30 android smart phone and the dongle in my signature.
and that would be "BAFX OBDII Dongle", correct? I can't seem to find it on either ebay, amazon, aliexpress nor banggood.

I do have a dongle that I have seen working with an android phone (that exact dongle is now mine, that exact phone is not). The previous owner gave me the dongle, but he has been using LeafSpy Lite (not Pro). So, an android phone is not an issue and neither is buying LeafSpy Pro for Android - but I'd like to be somewhat sure, this is going to work then.

LeafSpy Lite is no longer available, right?

Regards, J.

Hi,

Learjet said:
this is the one I have been using for years...no issues with my iPhone

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJRYMFC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this item is no longer available (at least that's what amazon tells me with that link).
Searching for LELink I find this one: https://www.amazon.de/vLinker-MC-Bluetooth-Diagnose-Codeleser/dp/B0BG4W6MLD/ref=sr_1_1_sspa
It seems this is the one that I have here.

Can you give me a hint on how to get going?

Thanks!

Regards, J.

alright - another update:
bought the Android version and tested against the (known to work) adapter (which is BT, not BLE, which I know now).
And it worked (after coupling phone and adapter).
Thanks for your support! :)

Regards, J.

Last edited:
and that would be "BAFX OBDII Dongle", correct? I can't seem to find it on either ebay, Amazon, aliexpress nor banggood.

I see it on Amazon. Did you search the Web for it, rather than search inside a few retailers? Well, all that matters is you now have a working setup.

On my Android phone, Leaf Spy Pro didn't 'see' the OBDII adapter unless I had GPS location switched on BEFORE the app starts. I'm using the adapter recommended by the developer.

Back