Leafs Over Texas!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drees said:
dash said:
dallasmay said:
Second, I doubt you're really paying $.09/kWh. You might think you had signed up for that, but the companies set up the terms for those teaser rates in such a way that very few people actually get them. You are probably a lot closer to the average for Texans, $.13-15/kWh.
I'm not really quite sure why you disbelieve me. Here's a copy of my current electric bill if you wish:
Well, hate to break it to you, but you're actually paying $0.117 / kWh according to your bill. :p

I don't know anyone that doesn't include all the other fees as part of their electricity rate. The question is: How many of those fees are flat fees and how many are a percentage based on energy usage?

My Current Charges Detail.. (prior to LEAF) .. 100% renewable.
Energy Charges (1204.0000 kWh x 0.08300) -> $99.93
PUC Assessment Reimb. -> $0.18
Customer Charge -> $7.95
Gross Receipts Tax Reimb. -> $2.16
Sales Tax -> $1.93
Total New Charges -> $112.15

so .. $112.15/1204kWh = $0.09314784053156146179401993355482/kWh.

I would agree that 10 or 11 is a good number to use in general ..

edatoakrun said:
Congratulations Texas!

In DC fast charging, Texas 1, California (presently) 0.

Sorry if this is already posted-I only checked recent posts.

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/04/13/texas-gets-its-first-public-use-level-3-charger/
Except...there is DC fast charging in California - and Michigan, and Oregon. ;)
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2501

LonghornLeaf said:
Jason and dash - do they drill into the bumper for the front plate holder? I will definitely call the dealer in the morning to ask that they NOT put the bracket on.

Yep, they drill holes for the holder.

--

Also, it looks like I'm paying about 12.5 cents per kWh after taxes and fees.

AndyH said:
edatoakrun said:
Congratulations Texas!

In DC fast charging, Texas 1, California (presently) 0.

Sorry if this is already posted-I only checked recent posts.

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/04/13/texas-gets-its-first-public-use-level-3-charger/
Except...there is DC fast charging in California - and Michigan, and Oregon. ;)
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2501

The Vacaville CA DC charger is (presently) out of commission.

Repair parts for the Charger are on order from Japan, following a viscous attack by a peanut-butter wielding henchman of the petroleum fuels industry...

LonghornLeaf said:
4/20/10: Reserved my Leaf.
4/20/11: My Leaf arrived at the dealer.

On Earth day, I'll pick it up.
How fitting!

I was hoping to get mine on Earth Day, but didn't get my 7-day email until Apr 19. My dealer (Town North Nissan in Austin) sez the car shows as "in Houston".

Also, I thought mine is going to be the first LEAF in Austin, at least according to the spreadsheet. I forgot that Lance Armstrong already has one! The bastid! :D

Sparky is home!

Got to also love the fact that I left the dealer with
83 mile range in D mode, and after 9.5 miles of Eco mode driving I arrived home with
84 miles range in D mode (with 91 miles range in Eco mode.)

Dang tolltag store closed for Easter.

LonghornLeaf said:
Sparky is home!

Got to also love the fact that I left the dealer with
83 mile range in D mode, and after 9.5 miles of Eco mode driving I arrived home with
84 miles range in D mode (with 91 miles range in Eco mode.)

Dang tolltag store closed for Easter.

Woo Hoo! Happy Earth Day! And Sparky is a great name -- I may have to steal it.

A few photos of Sparky from last night. If I get creative, I'll take some more around town.

Jason, my wife picked Sparky when I first got the VIN last month. She's now calling it Buggy too because of the shape of the headlights. I ordered the Leaf despite her reservations on a number of fronts, but I can tell she's warming up to it.

1262445472_rhC4HXG-M.jpg

1262445496_wtS8g6S-M.jpg

And two vanity plates still available in Texas - other designs also avail.
PLPB202

PLPB200

I've got just under 1k in about 2.5 weeks. I put about 60-70 mi a day on it right now. Looks great, Longhorn! Don't you just love that new car smell/look? :)

PS jealous of your no front license plate holder. It looks a million times better! Wonder what I can do to restore mine...

While not as historic as the halfway point of Route 66, I topped up a bit today at the Half Price Books on Northwest Hwy in Dallas.

Unlike NRG's or Whole Food's "charging for charging" Half Price delivers Level 1 and 2 for Free, one of each in two designated spots. I'm hoping a lot more businesses will compete for our business.

I didn't have the card to activate the charger, so I dialed the 888 number on the unit after plugging in. A little over 5 minutes later I had a free card to activate in the future headed to my house and was charging up after it was started remotely. To get your own free Chargepoint card, go here before the end of April: http://mychargepoint.net/earthday/

dal_7597-M.jpg

Thought I would update us Texas people on eVgo. Firstly, I know some people have mentioned, but eVgo has stated that they have no intention on doing a pay per use plan, unfortunately. And for many people that have already gotten a home charger these plans are really not worth it. But for people such as me that has not gotten one, it could be a decent deal.

A couple of things to add since the last post (both here and in the EVSE forum):

Deal with HILCO is going well, so that should be an additional supplier to help out the southern DFW people.

In eVgo's contract, if you purchase the more expensive plans (mobile or complete) that have a cost of unlimted use of public chargers, this additional cost (over the 50 for the home charger) will not be billed until they have completed their first phase of rollout, 70 public level 2/3 chargers, which is expected ~August 2011. So thats good news for people that didn't want to pay for a plan that has one charger (there is only one currently)

After the expired 3 year contract, the charger is paid off so they will be offering new plans after the contract

The charger is AV's charger, but its the more expensive one (the one that has the wireless capabilities)

If you purchase the most expensive (complete plan) that includes electricity cost, it only pays for "off-peak" electricity usage, which is stated in their contract from 8pm to noon the next day and all the weekends. The charger will be programed to only turn on after 8, but you can still manually turn in on via web or just on the charger itself

All-in-all, its not a bad deal. I do wish they did a price per usage option, but I guess they figured that wasn't sustainable at this point with so few EVs out. My wife and I decided to go with them for a few reasons:

- Yes the Blink ECOtality evse are cheaper, but as my wife said, "they are butt ugly" and prefers the eVgo (AV) charger look. That and the cost spread over three years gives us more downpayment on the leaf, which ends up cheaper over the entire cost.
- The electricity usage, calcuated pay is actually a savings versus just paying without the plan
- Access to the Level 3 chargers is a big perk for us. ECOtality is supposed to be adding them here to, but considering their first priority is the EV project people in CA, and they still don't have Level 3 rollout, I am assuming Texas will lag with their rollout for a few more years.
- Being in the southern DFW area (midlothian) and having most friends/family in plano/friso/allen areas, we can visit them (which we do often) utilizing a stop at a level 3 is very nice (we wouldn't be able to make the trip otherwise). In addition, my wife's work moved farther north 1 month ago :evil: , putting her out of the range for the Leaf :evil: :evil: . But with the level 3 she can still get back home since her work refuses to put even a level 1 charger for her.

I have developed a good relationship with the people at eVgo (a lot has to due with securing HILCO as a provider), so if yall have more specific question for them, I can ask them or help answer them myself.

Pipcecil said:
Firstly, I know some people have mentioned, but eVgo has stated that they have no intention on doing a pay per use plan, unfortunately. And for many people that have already gotten a home charger these plans are really not worth it.

Yes - this is really irritating that they do not offer another plan.. You'd think at minimum they would offer a cheaper monthly plan that simply gives access to the public charging without having your own charger through them.

- Being in the southern DFW area (midlothian) and having most friends/family in plano/friso/allen areas, we can visit them (which we do often) utilizing a stop at a level 3 is very nice (we wouldn't be able to make the trip otherwise). In addition, my wife's work moved farther north 1 month ago :evil: , putting her out of the range for the Leaf :evil: :evil: . But with the level 3 she can still get back home since her work refuses to put even a level 1 charger for her.

I don't know anyone with a Leaf that has the level 3 charging port. I'm not sure what percentage of them are coming with it, but I suspect it is less than half. Not sure how useful those level-3's are. You are in Midlothian? I'm in Kennedale, so we aren't too far. Have you tried the "Plugshare" app? I have my level-1 and level-2 charger shared on there so if anyone is in the area running low, thy can stop by.

I have developed a good relationship with the people at eVgo (a lot has to due with securing HILCO as a provider), so if yall have more specific question for them, I can ask them or help answer them myself.

My only question would be why they are making it so difficult for people like me, who have my own level-2 charger at home, to have access to these charging stations.

Pipcecil,

Agreed that for your usage, this sounds like eVgo may be a great fit for you.

Adric 22,

adric22 said:
I don't know anyone with a Leaf that has the level 3 charging port. I'm not sure what percentage of them are coming with it, but I suspect it is less than half. Not sure how useful those level-3's are. You are in Midlothian? I'm in Kennedale, so we aren't too far. Have you tried the "Plugshare" app? I have my level-1 and level-2 charger shared on there so if anyone is in the area running low, thy can stop by.

I did go for the option. My hope is to one day be able to use the Leaf to make it to Austin, which means a Level 3 in Waco and some creative planning.

Hello fellow Leaf-ites
Took delivery of an orphaned Leaf from Bankston Dallas on April 2. I think it was the first Leaf in Dallas.
Cayenne red SL model, no quick charge port. Nickname "Ruby"
So far 1300+ miles.
Had eVgo charge station (the first) installed on April 12. Had some cell connection issues and the charger was replaced. In June I will have ability to monitor charge times and cost.
My other ride is a 1999 VW Golf DIY conversion. 13Kw LiFe04 pack, 50 mile range.
Glad to be in the club.
Member of North Texas Electric Auto Assoc.
<www.nteaa.org>

Back