Leafers in the Antelope Valley (Lancaster, Palmdale, Mojave)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikeKen

Although I am living in the San Fernando Valley, I work in the Antelope Valley.

While I am thinking of using my Civic Hybrid for the commute, I would like to know if those of us who live or work in the Antelope Valley have found places to charge. When I look at charger maps, there seems to be empty space between the San Fernando Valley and a lot of points north.

I look forward to sharing information about using the Leaf in the Antelope Valley with you.

In Wasco County, OR, there is a little town called Antelope, & there really are Antelopes running right by the road. It was made famous by the Rashneshees and that property is now a Christian Young Life Camp.

The only place to charge is Antelope Valley Nissan...

There are old chargers at Costco, Lancaster City Hall and the Metrolink Station.

It would probibly take a full charge to make it to/from the San Fernando Valley, let me know how it goes if you try. I have not been brave enough to go over the hill...

I work at AVC and they have a new solar panel array in their parking lot.
Included are ChargePoint power stations L2 chargers.
While I have been assured that they will be turned on soon ... that was a year ago.
So, eventually there will be at least one more location.

I used to live in the AV and work in SFV, but thankfully I moved before getting the Leaf. I've wondered how it would do going up the 14 from Canyon Counry to Palmdale. You could probably make it there on a single charge. If you could at least trickle charge at work that would prob be enough juice to get back down the hill.

That's great news, I hope they activate the AVC EVSEs soon...

If they do, you should be able to make the trip in the LEAF as long as you don't drive too fast on the 14...

My plan is to charge at AVC while I teach and I should be fine.
Will keep y'all up to date with the information concerning the Chargepoints at AVC.

If you have a chance to stop by Costco in Lancaster, please put in a plug (pun obviously intended) to have their existing two EVSEs changed without cost to new J1772 units. I've already given the info and paperwork to the manager and more interest might help the effort along.

Thanks also for keeping the AV forum members up-to-date on the AVC units. We might have need of them while our EVSE is away for its upgrade.

Lastly, I'd appreciate any power consumption reports on trips made over the pass on SR14. Our goal is to make occasional trips to Panorama City on a single charge, if possible. If that looks to be impractical, we'll need to search out charging along the way or consider surface street alternatives.

KeiJidosha said:
I use Boquet Canyon Road when I've gone up to Lancaster. Shorter drive and more moderate speed gives better range.
Good suggestion. Thank you. And it a lot more fun to drive and calming than the freeway. That is, except for the motorcycles practicing motorcross, passing at warp 6 and taking the curves with their knees grazing the pavement. :shock:

HighDesertDriver said:
If you have a chance to stop by Costco in Lancaster, please put in a plug (pun obviously intended) to have their existing two EVSEs changed without cost to new J1772 units. I've already given the info and paperwork to the manager and more interest might help the effort along.

I tried to plug EV use at the Costco ... it was like discussing particle physics with poodles. I was given the huge runaround and ultimately I found out two things ...
1) that the charging stations are GE and that "we're not too sure that they work" and,
2) the City of Lancaster is in charge of their upkeep so ...

My confidence (in my conversations with these folks over the phone) in these facts makes me think that we may be fighting an uphill battle in the Antelope Valley home of trucks and what high gas prices? However, I will keep trying ...

VikeKen said:
I tried to plug EV use at the Costco ... it was like discussing particle physics with poodles. I was given the huge runaround and ultimately I found out two things ...
1) that the charging stations are GE and that "we're not too sure that they work" and,
2) the City of Lancaster is in charge of their upkeep so ...

My confidence (in my conversations with these folks over the phone) in these facts makes me think that we may be fighting an uphill battle in the Antelope Valley home of trucks and what high gas prices? However, I will keep trying ...
Your phrase "discussing particle physics with poodles" has put a smile on my face for the day. :lol: Thanks!

Were you speaking with the manager (Sardon) or the guys in the tire center? I spoke with the manager face-to-face and he was encouraging, but the bottom-line fact is that the units have not yet been changed. I make it a point to speak with someone each time I am there, so perhaps the two of us can wear them down.

FYI, the two units there are not GE, but the heritage paddle chargers used by the EV-1 and RAV4-EVs. Sounds like they were just trying to sound smart on the matter. The units may indeed not work, but they are rarely, if ever, used today, so it is unlikely anyone is complaining. I will check into the report that the City of Lancaster is in charge of their upkeep as that would be good news. The mayor is a very strong supporter of PV electric and BEVs, witness the heavy growth of PV and renewable energy installations in parking lots and the recent agreements with Chinese battery and auto makers. I have some contacts in his mayoral and legal offices and might be able to get this issue off-center. . .

The Antelope Valley just went from 1 J1772 location (Antelope Valley Nissan) to about a dozen.

The new EVSEs are located at many of the local high schools. I checked out the new EVSEs at Lancaster High School, Quartz-Hill High School and Highland High School (Palmdale).

Its a good start...

chris1howell said:
The Antelope Valley just went from 1 J1772 location (Antelope Valley Nissan) to about a dozen.

The new EVSEs are located at many of the local high schools. I checked out the new EVSEs at Lancaster High School, Quartz-Hill High School and Highland High School (Palmdale).

Its a good start...
Thanks, Chris. I had wondered if the high school configurations were to be similar to AVC, so this is good news if they are accessible and turned on. Did you actually try any of them?

Sure did... I plugged into each location that I visited and charged a few minutes. One of the EVSEs at Quartz Hill High had a Relay Fault, so I called it in to chargepoint.

They looks very similar to AVC, Chargepoint chargers under the solar parking structure. Maybe the AVC location will come online soon...

Well I guess any place where large numbers of cars park is okay, but I think they are pretty poor locations overall. They are in the middle of large residential areas, most are a mile or more from any commercial areas. The students should all live within a few miles of the school so they shouldn't need to charge, they could be usefull for the staff though...

It would be nice to see EVSE's go up where people work such as Edwards AFB, Lockheed, Boeing, Northrop and the local Hospitals. The mall and large shopping centers would be good too...

chris1howell said:
Sure did... I plugged into each location that I visited and charged a few minutes. One of the EVSEs at Quartz Hill High had a Relay Fault, so I called it in to chargepoint.

They looks very similar to AVC, Chargepoint chargers under the solar parking structure. Maybe the AVC location will come online soon...
I've got my card and will likely head down to Quartz Hill HS to try them out. Not that I need a charge, but I'd like to practice a bit when it does not "count". Perhaps these new locations will shame AVC into action. :lol:

91040 said:
Are High Schools a good location for charging stations?
In and of themselves, they are not the best locations for public charging, but the ChargePoints are part of an integrated package of very-large PV arrays which provide power to the schools and offices and welcomed shade for the cars underneath. The addition of a small number of free (thus far) charging stations at each location is targeted to be an encouragement to both school employees and students to use plug-in vehicles.

I drive my Leaf from Altadena to the Cathouse in Rosamond and back (After charging) every Sunday. I use the I210W to the (2) Angeles Crest Highway to the Angeles Forest highway to the 14 N. It is 69 miles one way and it takes about 1.5 hours, although I allow 1.75. By using the mountain road I cut the distance by about 16 miles, and I can use slower speeds on the steep hills. I typically try not to use more than 20kw's of power to climb hills, which keeps my speed around 34 in most areas of uphill grade - would not advise that on the 14N. I keep my speed around 45 on the down hills, gaining lots of charge. From Rosamond to LaCanada I can arrive with 4 bars of charge remaining if I try, typically it is a full three. On the way to the AV, it is more elevation gain, so I typically get there with 2 bars or in the recent 20 degree weather up there I see the first LBW less than a mile from my destination, which has a 240 outlet I can use but is not for public use. With 30 miles of freeway in the AV, I tend to drive about 5 mph under the speed limit (70 for about 15 miles). If traffic is light I will slow to 55 in areas to conserve charge, speeding up when needed.

I got caught one Sunday a few weeks ago when the snow closed the Angeles Forest Hwy after I drove up in the AM. Not seeing the road closed sign I started up and went 5 miles before seeing the barricades at Aliso Cyn, so 10 miles added to a cold, rainy, and hailing evening with my wife in the car. Returned to the Sierra Hwy and began using it, but opted to get back on the 14 after a few stop signs. Traffic was slower(45ish) that night due to the hail so the regen got me to the Golden Valley exit with 4 bars of charge - so we opted to eat at the Habit, and grab an hour of L2 at the Kohl's there. DET/GO meter flucuated between saying we could make it home and could not make it - I would have opted to go slower and try, but I was hungry anyway so listened to the wife (Always a good plan). Back on the freeway I kicked it up to 65 again for about 10 miles, then dropped the speed as much as traffic allowed. Total distance that night was 97, with about 45 miles at 60+ mph. Hit LBW as I left the freeway in Altadena but made it home with one bar. Defroster and heater were used, but sparingly.

91040 said:
Are High Schools a good location for charging stations?
If they get used, yes. Students are always in need of low cost transport, and an EV is great to teach young drivers how to manage energy use. I hope it also sends a message that the future drivers will utilize. I see it as the greatest way to get around in my lifetime, I am happy that schools support it. I would be tempted to go charge there as school gets in or out just to show off how easy and economical it is.

Back