Leaf : Trims, Features, Accessories, MSRP, Invoice Prices

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's to protect from stones that chip the paint on the front of the hood and bumpers. Washing and waxing won't prevent you from getting your paint chipped off. The clear bra is a thin plastic membrane. I've never had one though, so I don't know about the aging and yellowing. I would surely hope not. :cool:

Sounds like a screen protector type material for a car (like the sort of thing on my iPhone). I'm just curious if this got a tear in it or yellowed, would it cause damage to take it off? Could it be replaced?

I've never heard of such a thing on a vehicle so I passed on it but maybe it would be worth it.

On a side note - can we start a list of things that Nissan could have done better? Details on the accessories before the purchase would have been nice.

I applied an early version of this type of product to my motorcycle and it relied on water to be applied and "adhere" to the surface (not sure if the water activated a glue on the material, but peeling the stuff off years later was not an issue at all). Never did have a problem with aging/yellowing over several years of use, but I imagine like all plastics it will eventually degrade due to UV exposure and, to a more limited extent, oxidizers such as ozone. The underlying paint color may have a part in whether or not such aging would even be evident.

My only niggling complaint about these products is that, if you do wax your car and get the wax on the edge of the plastic, you're left with a white line of wax on the "crease" that no amount of rubbing seems able to remove..

TLeaf said:
My only niggling complaint about these products is that, if you do wax your car and get the wax on the edge of the plastic, you're left with a white line of wax on the "crease" that no amount of rubbing seems able to remove..

I have never had that problem and the Leaf will be my 4th vehicle with a clear bra. You just need to take a microfiber towell and run with the seam while the wax is still fresh in order to remove it. Also, try using a wax that does not turn white; rather turns to a slightly milky clear.

Like I said above I have had 3 cars already with clear bras installed. They are a savior when it comes to rock chips and sand pitting here in AZ. If you do leave it in the sun daily then it will tend to yellow/crack after a few years as any plastic polymer would do. You should treat it like any paint surface and keep it clean and waxed as that will extend it's life.

I am just curious to see what kind of coverage Nissan will include in this optional clear bra.

In case anyone wants to know. After a search that was the equivalent to the hunt for red october, I have finally been told that the splash guards are Color Matched. Pictures? of course not, but they are in production for all the accessories. Will post a link to them as soon as there is one.

mossyleaf said:
In case anyone wants to know. After a search that was the equivalent to the hunt for red october, I have finally been told that the splash guards are Color Matched. Pictures? of course not, but they are in production for all the accessories. Will post a link to them as soon as there is one.

Are they installable post-factory? I didn't order them as an option, but wouldn't mind being able to change my mind.... ;)

Jimmydreams said
Are they installable post-factory? I didn't order them as an option, but wouldn't mind being able to change my mind.... ;)
[/quote]

Can be done on every other Nissan we sell, should be the same for this one. Sometimes we have to take the wheels off the have enough clearance for the install, but either way you should be ok.

mossyleaf said:
Can be done on every other Nissan we sell, should be the same for this one. Sometimes we have to take the wheels off the have enough clearance for the install, but either way you should be ok.

The thing I'm most interested in is the eco packge. How does it look like - inside & out. Is it similar to the large "zero emission" on the cars now ... for eg.

mossyleaf said:

Great! Thanks for the info.

evnow said:
The thing I'm most interested in is the eco packge. How does it look like - inside & out. Is it similar to the large "zero emission" on the cars now ... for eg.

I would love to know that, too!

Does anyone believe that Invoice price (prob. around $60 something) on the Emergency Kit is worth it? I wonder if it comes with an extra 110 cord.

leaffan said:
Does anyone believe that Invoice price (prob. around $60 something) on the Emergency Kit is worth it? I wonder if it comes with an extra 110 cord.

My wife mentioned that Costco has a nice emergency kit as an alternative.

DeaneG said:
leaffan said:

My wife mentioned that Costco has a nice emergency kit as an alternative.

Thanks! I'll check that out. If Nissan's comes with an extra 110 cord though, it may be worth it, since it isn't a regular extension cord.

Even though the LEAF comes with the L1 (120 volt, slow-charge) EVSE, it is only about 20 feet long, so one still has to get the front end of the LEAF close "enough" to power.

Sometimes, only the use of a 100-foot (at least 12 amp rated) outdoor extension cord would do that.

Will a 6.6 kW charger be an order option? If not, will we be able to install one later?

How do you know that?
An 6.6kW charger in your Leaf could charge your car at home or at your condo in around 4 hours. Our condo has 350+ parking stalls the HOA is willing to install 3-5 charging stations that will support 6.6kw. Yes, I know there is an L3 charging option. At the moment if you can find one they run for around 15-19K. So the 6.6kw charger upgrade would make much more sense. The Chevy Volt will not be able to use L3 charging stations so no HOA will install one just for the Leafs.

Taka said:
How do you know that?

We have talked about it to death here. Atleast 600 of my 2,600 posts are about that :shock:

Leaf & Volt have 3.3 kw chargers. That is 240V, 13A L2.

HOA should install the 6.6 kw L2 chargers - 3.3KW Leaf can use that. Next gen Leaf will probably have 6.6 kw charger ...

LEAF "3.3 kW" internal charger:

At 240 volts
240 x 13 = 2400 + 720 = 3120 = 3.12 kW
240 x 14 = 2400 + 960 = 3360 = 3.36 kW
240 x 15 = 2400 + 1200 = 3600 = 3.60 kW

or, at 220 volts
220 x 13 = 2200 + 660 = 2860 = 2.86 kW
220 x 14 = 2200 + 880 = 3080 = 3.08 kW
220 x 15 = 2200 + 1100 = 3300 = 3.30 kW

I suspect the LEAF "3.3 kW" USA charger draws around 15 amps, possibly?

Then, at 240 volts, it might really use 3.6 kW, but
with about a 3% loss, actually charge at about 3.3 kW?

But, I think we do not really know, right?

Most EVSE I see are rated 208-240 volts and I would assume more amps will be drawn at the lower voltage.
208 is the same as 240 except it is two legs of a 3 phase supply.

The 3.3Kw Leaf charger will simply pull more amps to charge the battery at the constant max rating.

I don't know if 3.3Kw is input or output but usually chargers are rated by output.

Back