Leaf Tire Rotation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 15000 miles on my Leaf and just had the second tire rotation done. I notice that the tires seem to be wearing evenly across the tread, but they are almost worn out (about 4/32) both front and back. I am wondering if this wear is normal. My driving is about 95% city driving, although the speed limits in Phx are typically 45mph on the main surface streets.

That seems to be par for the course. The OEM Ecopias have earned a reputation for being quite mediocre tires. Replace them with something else when the time comes. I replaced mine at 12,000 with Michelin MXV4s from Costco...

myleaf said:
I have 15000 miles on my Leaf and just had the second tire rotation done. I notice that the tires seem to be wearing evenly across the tread, but they are almost worn out (about 4/32) both front and back. I am wondering if this wear is normal. My driving is about 95% city driving, although the speed limits in Phx are typically 45mph on the main surface streets.

TomT said:
That seems to be par for the course. The OEM Ecopias have earned a reputation for being quite mediocre tires. Replace them with something else when the time comes. I replaced mine at 12,000 with Michelin MXV4s from Costco...

myleaf said:

Thanks for the info.

Are the Michelin MXV4 wearing better. ??

you have 4/32" left? wow! let me measure mine, hold on!!

i have about 9/32 i guess i am good for a while. i have lease and will drive them until lease is over. highly unlikely to replace tires

DaveinOlyWA said:

i have about 9/32 i guess i am good for a while. i have lease and will drive them until lease is over. highly unlikely to replace tires

Thanks for the recommendation, I will try the Michelin MXV4s.

myleaf said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Thanks for the recommendation, I will try the Michelin MXV4s.

worn out tires after 15,000 miles?? oh great, first its heat killing the batteries, now its heat melting the rubber off the tires! what ya gonna do in 3 years when the average highs in Phoenix are over 120?

I did get some warranty help at the Firestone/Bridgestone dealer. I replaced all four Ecopias based on 60,000 pro-rated mileage. Try it; otherwise,mi would get Michelins.

The Ecopias are such pieces of crap in so many other areas, aside from mileage, that I did not want another set on my car even if they paid for them. The difference in the way that they and the Michelins ride, handle and brake is night and day. And they are not tissue paper fragile like the Ecopias either.

TonyWilliams said:
I did get some warranty help at the Firestone/Bridgestone dealer. I replaced all four Ecopias based on 60,000 pro-rated mileage. Try it; otherwise,mi would get Michelins.

It's not heat, in this case it's just crappy tires... Heat does have an impact on any tire but much more so when the tires are VERY marginal to begin with...

DaveinOlyWA said:
worn out tires after 15,000 miles?? oh great, first its heat killing the batteries, now its heat melting the rubber off the tires! what ya gonna do in 3 years when the average highs in Phoenix are over 120?

TomT said:
The Ecopias are such pieces of crap in so many other areas, aside from mileage, that I did not want another set on my car even if they paid for them. The difference in the way that they and the Michelins ride, handle and brake is night and day. And they are not tissue paper fragile like the Ecopias either.

TonyWilliams said:

I took this new tires and swapped them onto my new lease LEAF (that already had over 4000 miles, including a few hard miles at Laguna Seca). I sincerely hope these tires make it through the end of the lease.

TomT said:
It's not heat, it's just crappy tires...

DaveinOlyWA said:

oh ok, i think you might want to investigate how fast tires wear when there is a 30º difference involved. you might be surprised

**edit** there is a reason why i have over 20,000 miles AND most of my tread left

Water acts as a lubricant. Tires that
often travel over wet pavements can
show up to 30 percent longer treadwear
than tires that run only on dry pavements

we do get water on the roadways here...occasionally ;)

driving slower not only gets you more range but it benefits your vehicle in nearly EVERY way.

The faster you roll, the more heat
your tire casing creates. This degrades
casing durability, promotes irregular
treadwear, shortens tread life and
reduces impact resistance.

now this is from Goodyear. not sure what they know about tires but just saying

but all in all, my personal feeling on why his tires are worn out??

showing off the EV torque at stop lights :lol:

Let’s review some of the key elements
that impact drive tire wear:
Engine Torque (More usable torque
means less tread life)
Engine torque is measured in footpounds of twisting force without regard
to time. Peak torque on many of today’s
engines occurs at lower engine rpms and
remains at a relatively high level over a
wide rpm range. A typical engine might
develop 1,200 to 1,250 foot-pounds of
peak torque at only 1,300 rpms.
High engine torque over a wide rpm
range adversely affects drive tires, which
transmit this higher torque to the highway.
Increased stress, deflection, deformation
and reduced tread life result.

I rotated mine at 4000 miles because one of them picked up a nail and had a slow leak and while I was at Discount Tire, why not...

I've been rotating my Leaf tires every 5k miles--just like I do my Mini Cooper. I've found that these smaller front-wheel drive cars/tires really wear the fronts. Having said that, I'll probably replace my Leaf tires with some Michelins (as has been posted elsewhere) when they give out.

TomT said:
Do you have any sense about the rolling resistance of the Michelins? More robust tires figure to have increased rolling resistance and decreased LEAF range.

However, I suppose that there are too many variables to discern that without a carefully controlled study.

I've noticed no significant difference. Now that they are worn in, my long term efficiency is pretty close to what it was before the switch to the Michelins...

dgpcolorado said:
[Do you have any sense about the rolling resistance of the Michelins? More robust tires figure to have increased rolling resistance and decreased LEAF range.

To resurrect an old thread. There was some discussion about the correct tire rotation pattern on the Leaf Battery App thread. I rotate my own tires and have so far done it twice, each time front to rear, assuming that the OEM tires were directional. So the tires are now where they were originally. I need to rotate soon. Are they really directional or should I forward cross in the future? Thanks.

No, neither the original Ecrapias nor the Michelins are directional so you can rotate them in any pattern you like.

lukati said:
To resurrect an old thread. There was some discussion about the correct tire rotation pattern on the Leaf Battery App thread. I rotate my own tires and have so far done it twice, each time front to rear, assuming that the OEM tires were directional. So the tires are now where they were originally. I need to rotate soon. Are they really directional or should I forward cross in the future? Thanks.

lukati said:

The original Ecopias aren't directional. I did front to back twice and then crossed on the 3rd rotation. When using a jack, front to back is simpler, so I think I'll continue doing a cross only every 3rd rotation. I rotate about every 4000 miles.

lukati said:

Directional tires have a big arrow on the sidewall showing the direction it has to turn.
Ours are non-directional.

Back