Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just been made aware that the motor power displayed to the right of the graphic on screen 4 is most likely only valid for 2011-2012 Leafs.

For 2013+ Leafs motor power probably displays a false reading of 200,000 W at full power and never go negative during motor regen as it does on 2011-2012 Leafs.

Can people with 2013+ Leafs confirm this?

The data I have that shows this is for US built Leafs so data from Japan and UK Leafs would be useful.

A simple fix would be to use a different conversion constant to get the 200,000 W max reading back down to the 86kW expected max.

The previous raw value read was in units of 100 watts so a conversion factor of 100 was used to get watts but for 2013+ models the max raw reading is now 2000 units so when multiplied by 100 gives the displayed value of 200,000 W. This means the new conversion factor should be around 43 which is a very strange value to use.

Anyone have an idea why 2000 would be the max motor power units.

(I am also glad to see the site speed is back again)

Turbo3 said:
The TPMS decides on its own when it will communicate. Neither the Leaf nor LeafSpy send any data to the TPMS units.

Right, as in any TPM system ECU (TPMS). But if a request is made of the TPMS, e.g. a diagnostic device
via the ODBII connector, the TPMS will poll (request data) the TPM sensors for data and awaken them.
Most vehicle TPMSs also allow other ECUs, e.g. the instrument cluster - Min/Max pressures settings,
and diagnostic testers to send data, e.g. wheel position data to new sensors reducing the learning process.

Turbo3 said:
It is totally one way TPMS to Leaf (or any other device listening to the correct frequency used by the TPMS). There are only three ways the TPMS starts transmitting data: tire rotates, sudden pressure change and by command with a special handheld service tool.

Tire rotation is a necessary condition for the TPMS to poll and access the sensors, but not sufficient
i.e. just because the tire rotates doesn't automatically wake-up the sensors without being polled by the TMPS.
Obviously, if this were the case, why even have a sleep mode.

Turbo3 said:
LeafSpy only asks the Leaf for the most recent pressure data it has received from the TPMS units. If the Leaf has it it returns the data otherwise it returns zeros.

Tim Lee posted that he was getting continuous tire pressure updates as his tire was losing pressure,
which implies that the LeafSpy was requesting TPM sensor data and resulting in the TPMS polling
the sensors and keeping them awake. There's obviously some time interval at which the TPMS doesn't
poll the sensors automatically to store the most recent values. Or maybe when a pressure is rapidly
changing below a limit value, the TPMS enters a mode where it continually polls all sensors.

So the LeafSpy assumption is that a request for TPM sensor data is not a request to poll the sensors
for immediate values, but only for the most recent values when the last wake-up command was issued
from the TPMS to the sensors or if the sensor continues to send changing pressures and doesn't enter
the sleep mode.

I thought I made it clear. The Leaf does not/ cannot wake up the TPMS units in the wheels. No ECU in the Leaf has that capability.

The Leaf only gets pressure readings when and if the TPMS unit in a wheel decides to wake up.

So nothing LeafSpy does can change the state of the TPMS unit in the wheel.

I am not talking about any other vehicle here. Just the Nissan Leaf. Nissan may decide to change this in a future Leaf. There are UK Leafs that can do tire registration from the dash. But even they require the Leaf to be driven at 25km/h to wake up the TPMS unit in the wheels.

So again, running LeafSpy to check the tire pressures has absolutely no affect on the TPMS unit battery life.

Turbo3 said:
I thought I made it clear. The Leaf does not/ cannot wake up the TPMS units in the wheels. No ECU in the Leaf has that capability.
The Leaf only gets pressure readings when and if the TPMS unit in a wheel decides to wake up.

Are you implying that there's no dedicated ECU to interface with the four wheel TPM sensors?
There's obviously either one receiver near each wheel or one central receiver capable of
receiving the RF signals from all four sensors linked to an ECU to identify and log the specific
pressures and then communicate via one of the CAN buses to another ECU, e.g. instrument cluster
for warnings, and/or directly to the OBDII port. The LeafSpy is obviously addressing a specific ECU,
e.g. the instrument cluster or directly the TPM ECU, and requesting its data via the OBDII port as
related to each TPM sensor's data.

Turbo3 said:
IThere are UK Leafs that can do tire registration from the dash. But even they require the Leaf to be driven at 25km/h to wake up the TPMS unit in the wheels.

Given this, most likely all Leaf TPM system ECUs, whether U.S. or ROW, have the same overall capabilities
with but with different coding modes (not a different program/control store) to change minor
functionalities. So if one had access to a Nissan CONSULT, one could possibly do a recode and have the
pressures displayed in the instrument cluster, i.e. if the cluster has that capability, and/or allow sensor
registration from the cluster when replacing the sensors.

Let me try this again. The Leaf has no ECU that can SEND commands to the TPMS units in the wheels. Note the use of the word SEND in that sentence.

That does not mean there is no ECU in the Leaf that receives data from the TPMS units. If that were the case then what is the point of having TPMS units in each wheel.

So yes there is an ECU that receives the stream of data from the TPMS units when the TPMS units in the wheel decide to transmit data. The ECU is the Body Control Module (BCM) and is the ECU that LeafSpy requests the tire pressures from that are shown on screen 4.

The BCM has a single antenna that receives data from the wireless key and the TPMS units in each wheel.

The Consult-III plus has no capability to wake up any of the TPMS units in the wheels. When you do a tire registration from the Consult-III plus you must drive the Leaf to wake up the TPMS units in each wheel so they can send and the Leaf BCM ECU can receive that data.

--------------------------------------------------------------
lorenfb, I don't think there is any point in continuing this topic on this thread as the original question has been answered and we are way off topic now. You can start your own thread if you want to continue this discussion.

^^^^ Still questions on tire registration using other OBDII tire registration devices.
See new topic with question:
http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20204&p=430832#p430832

Turbo3 said:
I have just been made aware that the motor power displayed to the right of the graphic on screen 4 is most likely only valid for 2011-2012 Leafs.

For 2013+ Leafs motor power probably displays a false reading of 200,000 W at full power and never go negative during motor regen as it does on 2011-2012 Leafs.

Can people with 2013+ Leafs confirm this?

The data I have that shows this is for US built Leafs so data from Japan and UK Leafs would be useful.

A simple fix would be to use a different conversion constant to get the 200,000 W max reading back down to the 86kW expected max.

The previous raw value read was in units of 100 watts so a conversion factor of 100 was used to get watts but for 2013+ models the max raw reading is now 2000 units so when multiplied by 100 gives the displayed value of 200,000 W. This means the new conversion factor should be around 43 which is a very strange value to use.

Anyone have an idea why 2000 would be the max motor power units.

(I am also glad to see the site speed is back again)

The LeafSpyPro power displayed for both demand and regen seemed to always correlate
with my LeafDD on my 2013, but I'll check more closely at the peak values. The peak current
on the LeafDD reaches about 250 amps (< 100kW).

The only motor power is on the left of screen 4. My graphic has; SOC/GIDS/DTE and 100 on the lower
right of DTE.

LeafSpyPro Data, V 0.35.39

Battery State - V = 378, Ah = 30 (Max Ah= 56 @ 100% SOC), ~ 24K miles

Different Runs (data per screen 4 upper left)
1. Max kW under hard accel = 87
2. Max Amps under hard accel = 244, decel = - 100 ( ~ 37kW)
3. Hard accel and max decel = - 27kW

Again, it correlates with data from LeafDD. Is this what was needed or other/more test data needed?

lorenfb said:

The only motor power is on the left of screen 4. My graphic has; SOC/GIDS/DTE and 100 on the lower
right of DTE.

LeafSpyPro Data, V 0.35.39

Battery State - V = 378, Ah = 30 (Max Ah= 56 @ 100% SOC), ~ 24K miles

Different Runs (data per screen 4 upper left)
1. Max kW under hard accel = 87
2. Max Amps under hard accel = 244, decel = - 100 ( ~ 37kW)
3. Hard accel and max decel = - 27kW

Again, it correlates with data from LeafDD. Is this what was needed or other/more test data needed?
No, you need to switch to the power used graphic on screen 4.

Tap the right side of the graphic. The right side will have a heading of Watts with the first one being for the motor.

Do another max power (87 kW) and see what watts value gets reported for the motor.

Thanks for doing this.

Yes, the scaling is incorrect. I could immediately tell as soon as I got to above 30 MPH, i.e. the power was
about 60kW (way too high for normal cruising). Upon accel, it reached 200kw even before the 87kw
on the upper left. Since the kW is correct on the upper left, why not use it and decrease that value by
whatever the Aux/AC/Heat are? You would think that this approach should work for an early or late Leaf.

lorenfb said:

Yes, the scaling is incorrect. I could immediately tell as soon as I got to above 30 MPH, i.e. the power was
about 60kW (way too high for normal cruising). Upon accel, it reached 200kw even before the 87kw
on the upper left. Since the kW is correct on the upper left, why not use it and decrease that value by
whatever the Aux/AC/Heat are? You would think that this approach should work for an early or late Leaf.
Good question.

The upper left corner power number is calculated from battery current and voltage. On the CAN these are two separate readings with some time between each. This means that the number generated could be wrong for a fast changing power level.

The power reading used for the energy graphic and shown to the right is a single reading from the Leaf of motor power. So it would always be valid.

Test version 0.36.75 which should be available for install by testers in a little while will fix this over scale problem.

Please retest with this version when available and you should see correct numbers. If not let me know. Regen should also show on the graphic by starting on the right and with a power level.

Turbo3 said:
Test version 0.36.75 which should be available for install by testers in a little while will fix this over scale problem.

Please retest with this version when available and you should see correct numbers. If not let me know. Regen should also show on the graphic by starting on the right and with a power level.

It's fixed! Both Motor power and regen power show as you desired. The motor power never exceeds
90 kW. Regen agrees (close) with the upper left total power (obviously not all regen goes to the battery).

Now for those "purests"/nitpickers:

1. Only when the AC or heat is on, does the "Batt" indicate the sum of all powers (AC + Heat + ACC).
ACC (lights/fan) will not show as a load in "Batt" by itself, which is the case for the total power in the
upper left.
2. As you mentioned, there's lag in the Motor power from the total power in the upper left.

Update Consideration:

Indicate in some way that on the upper left, voltage X current yields the second line total battery power.
Remove the HP value and add it to a second line. HP is more meaningful when it relates to just the motor.

364.5V X -0.5A =
-0.2kW TotalBattPwr
MotorPwr = 0 HP (use the actual value from Motor on the graphic, maybe in a smaller font if space limited)

lorenfb said:
Now for those "purests"/nitpickers:

1. Only when the AC or heat is on, does the "Batt" indicate the sum of all powers (AC + Heat + ACC).
ACC (lights/fan) will not show as a load in "Batt" by itself, which is the case for the total power in the
upper left.
I found a number of problems in this area that have now been fixed. The two numbers will now match with the right side one having precision down to the Wh level.

Thanks for reporting this level of detail as I don't have the time to test all the data being displayed under all conditions. One limit is I am not the primary driver of the Leaf. Although this problem can be seen while parked if you have a 2013+ Leaf.

some how last week on July 20th I hit some part of the screen and it showed me a file like TripChrgLog_CT016156_cb3c1B.csv on the phone screen. I didn't know how I did it so I hit the back arrow.

Logging is NOT on according to the settings and I don't think I'm turning loggin on and off but maybe there is a way outside of settings to trigger the logging?

I went to look at the log file today but it doesn't look like it's been modified since July 20th.

Any thoughts on what I hit? Tips on how to get this to log on purpose and avoid it not logging for some time?

ah, what if, I wonder if the screenshots I've taken with correspond to the log entries? No the last screen shot I did was on June 29th but I have log date to July 20th.

dhanson865 said:
some how last week on July 20th I hit some part of the screen and it showed me a file like TripChrgLog_CT016156_cb3c1B.csv on the phone screen. I didn't know how I did it so I hit the back arrow.

Logging is NOT on according to the settings and I don't think I'm turning loggin on and off but maybe there is a way outside of settings to trigger the logging?

I went to look at the log file today but it doesn't look like it's been modified since July 20th.

Any thoughts on what I hit? Tips on how to get this to log on purpose and avoid it not logging for some time?

ah, what if, I wonder if the screenshots I've taken with correspond to the log entries? No the last screen shot I did was on June 29th but I have log date to July 20th.
You can find your answers in the built-in Application Help. See the two paragraphs near the top under "Recent Changes" labeled "Trip Recorder" and "Trip Log Viewer".

Turbo3 said:
dhanson865 said:

Logging is NOT on according to the settings and I don't think I'm turning loggin on and off but maybe there is a way outside of settings to trigger the logging?.
You can find your answers in the built-in Application Help. See the two paragraphs near the top under "Recent Changes" labeled "Trip Recorder" and "Trip Log Viewer".

Thanks, I really like the trip log feature. Makes it easier to go back and look at SOH% / ahr losses without taking screenshots all the time.

hmm, I'm seeing log entries on the phone for 7-21 to 7-27. I'll have to dig around on the phone to see if it is storing the csv in another location.

fwiw I'm currently using a LG Tribute and Leafspy doesn't seem to read the GPS data. In the trip log the elv ft column is always 0 and on screen 4 if I cycle to the GPS it says "GPS not Valid".

dhanson865 said:
Turbo3 said:
dhanson865 said:

Logging is NOT on according to the settings and I don't think I'm turning loggin on and off but maybe there is a way outside of settings to trigger the logging?.

Thanks, I really like the trip log feature. Makes it easier to go back and look at SOH% / ahr losses without taking screenshots all the time.

hmm, I'm seeing log entries on the phone for 7-21 to 7-27. I'll have to dig around on the phone to see if it is storing the csv in another location.

fwiw I'm currently using a LG Tribute and Leafspy doesn't seem to read the GPS data. In the trip log the elv ft column is always 0 and on screen 4 if I cycle to the GPS it says "GPS not Valid".
Do you have GPS enabled on the Settings/Logging panel? You can enable GPS without enabling Logging. They are to separate functions.

Turbo3 said:
dhanson865 said:
Do you have GPS enabled on the Settings/Logging panel? You can enable GPS without enabling Logging. They are to separate functions.

Didn't have it on, turned it on and it started working in the parking lot before I even got in the car. 0 mph and a varying altitude.

Drove down the road and at any speed the numbers were steady.

It didn't record my trip in the trip log though. That still seems to be hit and miss. I'm going to have to figure out the correct order between waking the phone up and taking the car off the charger, waking the phone up again, driving away. Maybe I just need to change the sleep settings on the phone.

I had it on 1 minute screen timeout but changed it to 2 minutes on the drive home. Next step is 5 minutes, but I'll try 2 for a bit and see if that does it reliably enough.

Looking on the phone I'm seeing trip log data to July 27 and plugging it into my PC over USB I only see data to July 20th. Not sure how I'm getting a mismatch there. I've tried changing it to charge only then back to file transfer mode. Now I'm rebooting the phone. Boom, fresh data. Looks like windows was caching the reads from the android device or the android device was presenting stale data.

So I haven't had any trip logs since 7/27/15 and the time at the top of page 4 is stuck on 00:00:08. Rebooting the phone doesn't clear that. I tried turning logging on and using the force log button then turning logging back off, no change.

Is there another method I should try to reset the app? Should I clear cache in android OS app management or clear data from same?

Back