Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dhanson865 said:
So I haven't had any trip logs since 7/27/15 and the time at the top of page 4 is stuck on 00:00:08. Rebooting the phone doesn't clear that. I tried turning logging on and using the force log button then turning logging back off, no change.

Is there another method I should try to reset the app? Should I clear cache in android OS app management or clear data from same?
What version of LeafSpy are you running?

Trip Log and data Logging are two separate functions and are not related.

Trip Log is automatic and can not be disabled. It is always active (short of any new bug you might have found). The one exception would be if you are using the experimental Brake/Motor monitoring screen. In that mode neither the Trip Log nor Logging works as LeafSpy is locked in listen mode.

The best way to proceed would be to enable an ELM trace and take a short drive of say 5 minutes. Then send me the TRC_xxxx.txt file that was generated.

A trip starts when the motor starts turning and ends when the Power Switch is turned off. The timer you say is stuck a 00:00:08 should auto reset to 00:00:00 when motor movement is detected. For a proper "trip end" you need to wait a few seconds after you have turned off the Leaf to give LeafSpy time to read the new Power Switch state (off). This will be signaled by a short beep and the word "Saved" appended to the end of the trip time (example "00:05:46 Saved"). If you stop LeafSpy or disconnect from the Leaf before the beep and word "Saved" appears then a trip will not be recorded in the Trip Log.

Turbo3 said:
dhanson865 said:
So I haven't had any trip logs since 7/27/15 and the time at the top of page 4 is stuck on 00:00:08. Rebooting the phone doesn't clear that. I tried turning logging on and using the force log button then turning logging back off, no change.

Is there another method I should try to reset the app? Should I clear cache in android OS app management or clear data from same?

Trip Log is automatic and can not be disabled. It is always active (short of any new bug you might have found). The one exception would be if you are using the experimental Brake/Motor monitoring screen. In that mode neither the Trip Log nor Logging works as LeafSpy is locked in listen mode.

The best way to proceed would be to enable an ELM trace and take a short drive of say 5 minutes. Then send me the TRC_xxxx.txt file that was generated.

A trip starts when the motor starts turning and ends when the Power Switch is turned off. The timer you say is stuck a 00:00:08 should auto reset to 00:00:00 when motor movement is detected. For a proper "trip end" you need to wait a few seconds after you have turned off the Leaf to give LeafSpy time to read the new Power Switch state (off). This will be signaled by a short beep and the word "Saved" appended to the end of the trip time (example "00:05:46 Saved"). If you stop LeafSpy or disconnect from the Leaf before the beep and word "Saved" appears then a trip will not be recorded in the Trip Log.

0.34.42 (not pro, can't get a newer version)

I'm driving with screen 4 on 99% of the time.

I did plug my car in to charge today and have the time count up during charging but I was standing outside the car. It was on 00:00:57 when I exited the app.

If it doesn't start counting when I drive through the parking lot this afternoon I'll stop and turn on tracing and start the car again to get a trace for the drive home.

On a normal workday I get 4 trip logs 14.9 miles to work, drive to lunch, drive back from lunch, 14.9 miles home. For some reason on some days the drive to lunch says 0.6 miles and the drive back says 1.2, on others it sees symmetrical drive distances of 0.6.

dhanson865 said:
Turbo3 said:
dhanson865 said:

0.34.42 (not pro, can't get a newer version)

I'm driving with screen 4 on 99% of the time.

I did plug my car in to charge today and have the time count up during charging but I was standing outside the car. It was on 00:00:57 when I exited the app.

If it doesn't start counting when I drive through the parking lot this afternoon I'll stop and turn on tracing and start the car again to get a trace for the drive home.

On a normal workday I get 4 trip logs 14.9 miles to work, drive to lunch, drive back from lunch, 14.9 miles home. For some reason on some days the drive to lunch says 0.6 miles and the drive back says 1.2, on others it sees symmetrical drive distances of 0.6.
Odometer is read in km units so 0.6 mile per step. I may switch to GPS distance as an option in the future if GPS is available.

dhanson865 said:

There is a bug in LeafSpy v0.34.42 which will require that GPS be off for the Trip Log function to work. You will note that the problem started when you turned on GPS.

This will be fixed in a future version of LeafSpy. Current versions of LeafSpy Pro do not have this bug.

Turbo3 - do you know when LeafSpy will received the update to read European tyre pressures (as already incorporated into LeafSpy Pro)?

Thanks

Turbo3 said:
dhanson865 said:

There is a bug in LeafSpy v0.34.42 which will require that GPS be off for the Trip Log function to work. You will note that the problem started when you turned on GPS.

This will be fixed in a future version of LeafSpy. Current versions of LeafSpy Pro do not have this bug.

It's still logging with GPS on for me. I have 4 trips now with elevation data since I turned GPS on.

My theory is that Leafspy wasn't seeing the start or end of the trip because I was starting the app after the car started moving and/or exiting the app before the car turned off, mixed with random android issues.

I'm just watching the time on screen 4 and if the trip timer doesn't start counting in the first few seconds I park the car, make sure Bluetooth is on, exit and relaunch the app if needed, then start driving again. So far it hasn't missed on the second try and more often than not it is logging on the first try (If I remember to have the phone on, app loaded, bluetooth on, before I start moving).

Kind of early to say much since I've only driven one day with GPS on, but I can at least say the trip logging works just as well with GPS on as it does with GPS off.

dhanson865 said:
Turbo3 said:
dhanson865 said:

It's still logging with GPS on for me. I have 4 trips now with elevation data since I turned GPS on.

My theory is that Leafspy wasn't seeing the start or end of the trip because I was starting the app after the car started moving and/or exiting the app before the car turned off, mixed with random android issues.

I'm just watching the time on screen 4 and if the trip timer doesn't start counting in the first few seconds I park the car, make sure Bluetooth is on, exit and relaunch the app if needed, then start driving again. So far it hasn't missed on the second try and more often than not it is logging on the first try (If I remember to have the phone on, app loaded, bluetooth on, before I start moving).

Kind of early to say much since I've only driven one day with GPS on, but I can at least say the trip logging works just as well with GPS on as it does with GPS off.
I did not fully explain the bug which is why you can still get it to work with GPS on and helps explains why the bug got through my initial testing.

The reason you can get it to work is that conditions for the bug are more than just GPS on. It only happens with GPS on, GPS location is valid and the Leaf has not started to moving yet (RPM=0). Since it normally takes many seconds for GPS to lock onto enough satellites to get a valid location you don't normally see the problem. By the time GPS locks the Leaf is already moving and a trip has already started so a valid RPM reading is no longer needed.

When GPS is on and has locked onto sufficient satellites to get a valid location LeafSpy 0.34.42 will stop reading the motor RPM (that is the bug, don't know what I was thinking when I added that condition in but it is obviously wrong). You will see this happen if you monitor the RPMs on screen 4 which is what I saw last night on a test drive.

This bug was only a problem when looking at the RPMs on screen 4 until I added the Trip Log feature which uses motor RPMs not being zero to define the start of a trip.

As long as you start a trip with either GPS off or with GPS on but still looking for satellites a start of trip will be recognized. If GPS is on and locked then a trip start is missed.

So what you are doing is a good work around until I release a fixed version of LeafSpy.

Turbo3 said:
So what you are doing is a good work around until I release a fixed version of LeafSpy.

Looking forward to it, every time I learn something else about what leafspy can do I am impressed with the work you've put into it.

Today I accidentally got the Energy Usage Display selected on screen 4 and it would go back to the Energy Usage Display even if I tapped to cycle over to the Battery Graphic.

I gave up trying to figure out what I did while driving but did notice that both Heat and AC were drawing power while the car was set to 70F and it was 79F outside and sun shining into the car. At first I wanted to beleive it was a bug in leafspy but then I lowered the setpoint to 60F and the heat cut off and the AC draw increased. Boom I learned something new about the Leaf due to my accidentally poking around in leafspy.

playing around on my drive to work I noticed 3 general states I could get the climate control in while the outside temp was 79F and rising.

setpoint at 70F would have AC draw of 6 and Heat draw of 2
setpoint at 68F would have AC draw of 6 and Heat draw of 1
setpoint at 65F would have AC draw of 7 and Heat draw of 0
setpoint at 60F was same as at 65F.

so if those numbers are on the same scale I'd actually save power by asking the system to run the AC more. I'm assuming this means I'd have to watch the Energy Usage Display any time using the AC to be sure it isn't blending heat in if I want max efficiency.

If so it might be nice for Leafspy to change the heat power draw number to another color if AC power is higher than heat and heat is non zero to make it easier to notice that this is happening.

I suppose that is why people do the no heat mod. I thought it was just about the Defroster using heat but now I see even straight AC is pulling heat at some setpoints.

dhanson865 said:
Turbo3 said:

Looking forward to it, every time I learn something else about what leafspy can do I am impressed with the work you've put into it.

Today I accidentally got the Energy Usage Display selected on screen 4 and it would go back to the Energy Usage Display even if I tapped to cycle over to the Battery Graphic.

I gave up trying to figure out what I did while driving but did notice that both Heat and AC were drawing power while the car was set to 70F and it was 79F outside and sun shining into the car. At first I wanted to beleive it was a bug in leafspy but then I lowered the setpoint to 60F and the heat cut off and the AC draw increased. Boom I learned something new about the Leaf due to my accidentally poking around in leafspy.

playing around on my drive to work I noticed 3 general states I could get the climate control in while the outside temp was 79F and rising.

setpoint at 70F would have AC draw of 6 and Heat draw of 2
setpoint at 68F would have AC draw of 6 and Heat draw of 1
setpoint at 65F would have AC draw of 7 and Heat draw of 0
setpoint at 60F was same as at 65F.

so if those numbers are on the same scale I'd actually save power by asking the system to run the AC more. I'm assuming this means I'd have to watch the Energy Usage Display any time using the AC to be sure it isn't blending heat in if I want max efficiency.

If so it might be nice for Leafspy to change the heat power draw number to another color if AC power is higher than heat and heat is non zero to make it easier to notice that this is happening.

I suppose that is why people do the no heat mod. I thought it was just about the Defroster using heat but now I see even straight AC is pulling heat at some setpoints.
Whenever LeafSpy detects the heater being used it forces the energy display to show so you can see what is happening.

Once I found what you did that the heater is used to blend the temperature I set the temp to 60F and low fan speed to use the least energy.

Wasn't sure if I should post DTCs here as there discussion over at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12098&hilit=dtc.

Today when I was in the middle of L2 charging my owned '13 SV at fre epublic charging (a bunch of 30 amp Clipper Creek L2 EVSEs), I thought I heard some loud click/clunk noise (not sure if it was from the car or EVSE (which also makes a loud clunk)). I might've pressed on the brake pedal while leaning back to get something from the back seat. Car wasn't in READY mode since it can't be while charging.

I then noticed that the it looked like charging suddenly stopped (car not full, didn't have timers on), and the green plug light in the dash wasn't flashing, only on solidly. I also noticed the yellow (!) brake warning light (BRAKE system warning light (yellow)) was on. Anyway, I futzed around and resumed charging.

I went to read the DTCs (and I think I checked the DTCs on this car when I picked it up used and found none) and found these:
C118C 0108
B2626 0008
C1A6E 0108
C1A70 0107
B29C1 2408
B29C1 9408

P3177 0008

U1A05 0008

I'm not sure if these are all accurate and if I should be concerned. I haven't noticed anything abnormal on this used '13 Leaf SV lease return I bought about a month ago nor any unusual charging stoppages. My previous '13 Leaf SV never had this symptom, but I didn't have Leaf Spy until near lease end.

I'm on Leaf Spy Pro v0.36.68 en using a Samsung Galaxy S6.

Oh yeah, the other day, I did turn enable the brake and motor monitor screens but then I stopped using them. It seemed to cause communications problems or the ELM327 dongle to get into bad state. I also noticed that I'd get a lot of bad frames (in the bottom of the settings screens). When the brake and motor monitor screens are disabled, it seems like the bad frame problem stops.

Recently my second 12V battery failed.
The last few times I used the LEAF before taking it in for pro-rated warranty replacement ($48 at 27 months, but dealer cut me a break and also pro-rated the labor), I was getting it to start by having 12V on CTEK trickle charger.
Would start, but voltage would plummet.

With voltage so bad, I started immediately getting a shrill single tone alarm.

Is that shrill tone from LEAF Spy Pro, or does the LEAF generate a defective 12V battery alarm?

I should have done more testing to confirm which, but in all cases I had the radio on and LEAF Spy Pro was on so not sure which caused the shrill alarm type noise.

TimLee said:
Recently my second 12V battery failed.
The last few times I used the LEAF before taking it in for pro-rated warranty replacement ($48 at 27 months, but dealer cut me a break and also pro-rated the labor), I was getting it to start by having 12V on CTEK trickle charger.
Would start, but voltage would plummet.

With voltage so bad, I started immediately getting a shrill single tone alarm.

Is that shrill tone from LEAF Spy Pro, or does the LEAF generate a defective 12V battery alarm?

I should have done more testing to confirm which, but in all cases I had the radio on and LEAF Spy Pro was on so not sure which caused the shrill alarm type noise.
No, there is no alarm for a low 12 volt battery from LeafSpy.

Low 12 volts will make for some strange behavior from the Leaf.

When I use the LeafSpyPro built-in log viewer I don't see the column header text with version 37.77. I am running a Motorola RAZOR DROID XT875.
The first entry in that log (from May) is highlighted and frozen, like it expects the text header row but used the first row of data instead. Excel works OK on the Log files.
On another issue, I am confused about where LSP actually stores the log files. I thought they were stored on the flash card but when I go to look for them with the file viewer, I find them under the SD (internal ?) area. My SD flash card doesn't show them>

Thanks

Agkirk said:
When I use the LeafSpyPro built-in log viewer I don't see the column header text with version 37.77. I am running a Motorola RAZOR DROID XT875.
The first entry in that log (from May) is highlighted and frozen, like it expects the text header row but used the first row of data instead. Excel works OK on the Log files.
On another issue, I am confused about where LSP actually stores the log files. I thought they were stored on the flash card but when I go to look for them with the file viewer, I find them under the SD (internal ?) area. My SD flash card doesn't show them>

Thanks
Please send me your TripChrgLog_xxx.csv file (to [email protected]) and I will look it over.

For the SD card you need to enable it as the Primary Storage otherwise android will use its internal SD storage.

Go to android Settings/Storage and find "Select Primary Storage". The two options should be Phone and SD card. Change it from Phone to SD card.

Turbo3 said:
Agkirk said:

Thanks
Please send me your TripChrgLog_xxx.csv file (to [email protected]) and I will look it over. If you accidentally saved from excel after viewing it excel might have corrupted the file (which I can probably fix).

For the SD card you need to enable it as the Primary Storage otherwise android will use its internal SD storage.

Go to android Settings/Storage and find "Select Primary Storage". The two options should be Phone and SD card. Change it from Phone to SD card.

Turbo3 said:
Turbo3 said:
Agkirk said:

Thanks
Please send me your TripChrgLog_xxx.csv file (to [email protected]) and I will look it over. If you accidentally saved from excel after viewing it excel might have corrupted the file (which I can probably fix).

The file you sent me had the header line removed. I have added it back in and sent you the corrected file.

Since LeafSpy only appends data to the Trip log I would have to assume some external program (excel) removed the header.

It is best to copy a CVS file over to a PC before opening it with excel to avoid the possibility of accidentally modifying the CVS format.

This is easily done if you use the Dropbox sync feature in LeafSpy. Then you can just look at the Dropbox copy which will always be updated with the latest version and messing up the Dropbox copy will not affect the copy LeafSpy displays.

Thanks, works great now. Not sure what happened as I don't have Excel on the Droid. Did use a generic CSV editor before you added your great little viewer. Like the app.

Turbo3

Thanks so much for the software and thanks to all the others who have posted here.

I successfully connected a super cheap android device to the Konnwei KW902--and I immediately got a low tire warning after driving around the block. Yeah Team! And I was able to reset the door auto-lock feature. That was worth the software cost alone.

But as a BBZ10 user, I really wanted to connect by BB device to the ELM. As noted elsewhere here I got an error message. Following the suggestion for trying different bluetooth settings, I got the KW902 to connect to the BBZ10 under "secure".

Both devices now work. Now I have to figure out what it all means.

Paul

Not sure when you add the Ambient Temp display but it was recently brought to my attention, as well as the ability to "calibrate" that display. My 2015 Leaf dash display was about 10 degrees lower so I cranked in -5 in the cal block. I'm still high by 5 degrees, what am I missing? And where does the data for the LSP Ambient Temp display get generated?

Thanks

I just had my 15K multipoint check that includes tire rotation. I am pretty sure they did it because the sensors that were in front are now in the rear, per the LeafSpy. I found this when I tried to correct psi imbalance and filled wrong tires.

Is that something I correct post rotation, take as indication of something not done at dealer or just live with it, acting as Front and Rear switched?

Back