Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several times, I've run across what seems to be a minor anomaly. If I switch from Leaf Spy to the browser while charging (leaving Leaf Spy running in the background) and then switch back, there's a drop in the SOC reading but not the others:

Attachments

• 2015-06-25-10-25-50.jpg
    2015-06-25-10-25-50.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 42
DaveInAvl said:
Several times, I've run across what seems to be a minor anomaly. If I switch from Leaf Spy to the browser while charging (leaving Leaf Spy running in the background) and then switch back, there's a drop in the SOC reading but not the others:
When LeafSpy first starts up it resets a few key values to zero to be sure fresh values are read from the Leaf to make sure you are not seeing the old saved values. The reset also happens during ELM retries which was not intended. I will fix that.

So most likely there was a momentary ELM error that was recovered from.

I'm using http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAOOQJC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vgate Bluetooth Scan Too.l OBD 2 OBD II Scanner for TORQUE APP ANDROID

only $9 currently but I paid $17 for it in 2013. I used to use it with the torque app on my 2005 Prius. Now I'm using it on my 2012 Leaf.

-----------------

as to Leafspy I found something odd this morning with the TPMS alert.

I have leafspy set to warn me when there is a 5 PSI difference but it warned me this morning with only 1.25 PSI difference.

version says 0.34.42

dhanson865 said:
I'm using http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAOOQJC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vgate Bluetooth Scan Too.l OBD 2 OBD II Scanner for TORQUE APP ANDROID

only $9 currently but I paid $17 for it in 2013. I used to use it with the torque app on my 2005 Prius. Now I'm using it on my 2012 Leaf.
You need to be careful with that one as they have changed the design and dropped the PIC processor.

-----------------

I have leafspy set to warn me when there is a 5 PSI difference but it warned me this morning with only 1.25 PSI difference.

version says 0.34.42

I have two these Vgates. One bought some time ago that works and a newer one that does not. They look identical until you open them up and see the missing PIC processor. Since you had it for some time you got the good one but the ones for sale now probably won't work due to the missing PIC.

On the TPMS did you also have a low pressure warning enabled? Next time it happens get a screenshot and post it.

DaveInAvl said:
To address the problem test version 0.36.71 has just been uploaded. Should be available for install in about 2 hours.

To fix this problem SOC and a number of other parameters read from the Leaf are only cleared to zero the first time LeafSpy connect to the Leaf. On any retry these values will no longer be set to zero. This feature was intended to make it clear fresh data was being read from the Leaf and you were not seeing previously saved data.

Dave, I take it that version 0.36.70 works as well as the previous version 0.36.69 with regards to not crashing due to an out of memory condition.

Turbo3 said:
Dave, I take it that version 0.36.70 works as well as the previous version 0.36.69 with regards to not crashing due to an out of memory condition.
Yes, it seems to :) Either tomorrow or Saturday I should be able to try another browse-while-charging with whatever test version is current at that point.

Turbo3 said:
dhanson865 said:

version says 0.34.42

I have two these Vgates. One bought some time ago that works and a newer one that does not. They look identical until you open them up and see the missing PIC processor. Since you had it for some time you got the good one but the ones for sale now probably won't work due to the missing PIC.

On the TPMS did you also have a low pressure warning enabled? Next time it happens get a screenshot and post it.

I took a screenshot this morning, I just couldn't post it from work.

attachment.php

I had already dismissed the popup over the PSI area before I took the screenshot.

ah, never mind I figured it out, I also had warn at under 48 PSI set and the warning wasn't because of the 5 PSI delta, it was because it was below 48.

it just seemed like the warning mentioned the 1.25 delta instead of warning about the 48 PSI selected. Maybe you only have one message for either trigger?

Anyway it looks like it's time to add air in the tires. I just tried to equalize the two rear tires again, have to wait until the morning to get fresh TPMS readings. Once I do I'll set the trigger PSI higher and see what the message says to see if its just me that was confused.

dhanson865 said:
Turbo3 said:
dhanson865 said:

version says 0.34.42

I took a screenshot this morning, I just couldn't post it from work.

attachment.php

I had already dismissed the popup over the PSI area before I took the screenshot.

ah, never mind I figured it out, I also had warn at under 48 PSI set and the warning wasn't because of the 5 PSI delta, it was because it was below 48.

it just seemed like the warning mentioned the 1.25 delta instead of warning about the 48 PSI selected. Maybe you only have one message for either trigger?

Anyway it looks like it's time to add air in the tires. I just tried to equalize the two rear tires again, have to wait until the morning to get fresh TPMS readings. Once I do I'll set the trigger PSI higher and see what the message says to see if its just me that was confused.
There is only one warning message about tire pressure. Highlighted in Red will be the problem(s) be that low tire(s) and/or delta.

You should update to the newer version. That will fix the large red marks being not in the right position.

Several weeks back I observed an incorrect 31 ambient temperature reading in the tire pressure indication block on screen four.
Ambient then was low 90F.
If switch to C units, the ambient display disappeared.
Thought it was brief glitch.

Happening again today.
Before started charging read correctly at 84F matching the eyebrow indication.
Once started charging L2 at 3.3 kW, it reads 31.
Disappears if switch to C units.
Doing this with versions 0.36.69 and 0.36.70.

Turbo3 said:
dhanson865 said:

version says 0.34.42

You should update to the newer version. That will fix the large red marks being not in the right position.

Google Play says I have the latest version. Is it an issue with the about screen in my version not showing the actual installed version or is mine that far behind? Should I uninstall it and reinstall it to see what I get? Or do you want to check the published versions?

Keep in mind I don't have the Pro version, it's just the mid priced version (free, regular, pro - of those I have regular).

Looking in my apps from my windows PC Google Play shows Leafspy Lite in myapps but not Leafspy.

Looking in my purchases it shows the charge for Leafspy on May 15th.

If I go to Leafspy from there it says it is installed on my phone.

I definitely have access to features not in the free version on the phone.

as to how I confused the system I did have Leafspy Lite and Leafspy on the phone at the same time before I uninstalled Leafspy Lite. I'm guessing that might be the root cause.

TimLee said:
Several weeks back I observed an incorrect 31 ambient temperature reading in the tire pressure indication block on screen four.
Ambient then was low 90F.
If switch to C units, the ambient display disappeared.
Thought it was brief glitch.

Happening again today.
Before started charging read correctly at 84F matching the eyebrow indication.
Once started charging L2 at 3.3 kW, it reads 31.
Disappears if switch to C units.
Doing this with versions 0.36.69 and 0.36.70.
Ambient temperature is only valid when the Leaf is on (not charging) and only displayed when F units are selected.

During a charge the Leaf always reports ambient as 31. I guess I should block displaying ambient while charging.

The Leaf reports Ambient in Fahrenheit for US Leafs but I don't know what units it reports for a metric Leaf so the app disables displaying it. If someone with a metric Leaf can confirm that the ambient is displayed correctly in Fahrenheit then I can just convert F to C and display it in C. Taking a US Leaf and switching the display units to C does not count. Must be a Leaf solid in Europe or a country with a default unit of C. The units Leaf uses on the CAN bus are not consistent. For odometer it always uses km no matter where the Leaf is sold. Using F for temperature is very strange which makes me wonder if it is country specific. Perhaps they got a good price on a temperature sensor in F and use it in all countries. Just don't know. But normally temperature sensor vary by resistance and a processor needs to map from raw resistance to units.

DaveInAvl said:
Either tomorrow or Saturday I should be able to try another browse-while-charging with whatever test version is current at that point.
I ran the browser and Flipboard on my phone during an L2 charge and couldn't get Leaf Spy Pro to crash or draw glitchy lines... but then I noticed the battery temp line was absent from the graph. Is it only plotted during L3 charges? Here's a screenshot:

Attachments

• 2015-06-27-16-50-29.jpg
    2015-06-27-16-50-29.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 57
DaveInAvl said:
DaveInAvl said:
Either tomorrow or Saturday I should be able to try another browse-while-charging with whatever test version is current at that point.
I ran the browser and Flipboard on my phone during an L2 charge and couldn't get Leaf Spy Pro to crash or draw glitchy lines... but then I noticed the battery temp line was absent from the graph. Is it only plotted during L3 charges? Here's a screenshot:
Yes, only during QC. The temp data has always been saved for all charges (L1/L2/QC). I just started plotting it for QC so if you look back at any old QC plot it will now have temperature shown.

L1/L2 plots can be much longer and adding another item slows down creating the graph. If you export the csv file you can plot the temperature data for L1/L2 charges.

I don't know if the definitive answer on this SOC% question is in threads. A search brings up too many hits.
If differences exist between dashboard SOC and LeafSpy, is dashboard just wrong? At high end I see a big difference, around middle they get close and variance increases at low end. Charging I see dashboard at 100% and LeafSpy at 94%. I believe dashboard at high end is likely wrong because the per cent drops rapidly with any driving. Still the external public chargers seem to use to dashboard results as controlling thresholds as do the car's internal monitors.

I can understand why the mileage estimate on dashboard could be off, but the state of charge seems a much easier quantity to report. Or is the difference at high end the buffer I have seen mentioned here? I got the impression that the buffers at both were invisible to both detectors by design.

mjblazin said:
I don't know if the definitive answer on this SOC% question is in threads. A search brings up too many hits.
If differences exist between dashboard SOC and LeafSpy, is dashboard just wrong? At high end I see a big difference, around middle they get close and variance increases at low end. Charging I see dashboard at 100% and LeafSpy at 94%. I believe dashboard at high end is likely wrong because the per cent drops rapidly with any driving. Still the external public chargers seem to use to dashboard results as controlling thresholds as do the car's internal monitors.

I can understand why the mileage estimate on dashboard could be off, but the state of charge seems a much easier quantity to report. Or is the difference at high end the buffer I have seen mentioned here? I got the impression that the buffers at both were invisible to both detectors by design.
Drivers expect the dash SOC to read 100% after a full charge so Nissan make that happen. But the battery is never charged to an SOC of 100% in order to extend its life. So the SOC is adjusted from the real value to make it look like 100% which you have noticed.

LeafSpy is displaying the SOC from the Leaf's Battery Management Computer which is the authority on the High Voltage battery. With the exception of the estimated range and % Gids all the other numbers LeafSpy displays come directly from the Leaf. LeafSpy just makes them visible to the driver so you can see the real numbers.

mjblazin said:

Dash lies at the top and bottom of the SOC. In the middle they might agree but there will be an intentional curve away from reality as you approach either extreme.

Blame Nissan not Leafspy.

Trust Leafspy

Just uploaded test version 0.36.72 of LeafSpy Pro with the new Climate Control status at the bottom of screen 3.

Please have a look at screen 3 while CC is on and check the alignment of all the icons in both orientations.

These are the result on a Kyocera Event:

Also, is anyone else interested in being able to lock the 4th page display so that inadvertent touches don't change the format? Would that be hard to do?

Back