Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
forestrider said:
As of last night's update the LSP Ios version is no longer able to clear DTC codes. I successfully cleared codes with it the other day, but since the upgrade the drop down menus in the clear dtc screen no longer respond.

I'm stranded.
What version number are you running? You need to enable the Service Screen in settings to have access to the service functions.

You have to read DTCs before you can clear them. Can you read the DTCs?

To clear the DTCs you must have at least one DTC and be connected to the Leaf. Otherwise the "Clear DTC" button will not work and there will be a message below it say you need to be connected to the Leaf to enable.

=====================

Just tested and it works fine.

I think you forgot to re-enable the Service Screen when you installed the update. The default is for the Service Screen to be disabled to prevent accidentally changing Leaf Settings.

What I am saying is that I used it fine yesterday, or perhaps it's the day before now. It was in the apps that Itunes updated last night, and now it doesn't work. I can read and see the DTCs, but the app literally does not work. It hangs on the clear drop downs, you can see the "long tap to select" notification, but despite 15 Dtcs you can not select any, just repeatedly clear the first one since you can not use the drop down.

forestrider said:
What I am saying is that I used it fine yesterday, or perhaps it's the day before now. It was in the apps that Itunes updated last night, and now it doesn't work. I can read and see the DTCs, but the app literally does not work. It hangs on the clear drop downs, you can see the "long tap to select" notification, but despite 15 Dtcs you can not select any, just repeatedly clear the first one since you can not use the drop down.
Can you send me a screenshot of that screen?

By default the first DTC is selected so what happens when you select clear?

It's been ruining my day for a few days now, so excuse me if don't go mess with it at the moment. Not the app, I got the dreaded T/M low battery thingy a week ago or so now. The app fixed it for me after I charged the battery, but the situation came back when I disconnected the 12v charger I had keeping the battery up.

So, upon trying it again, it now hangs there on the first DTC, as you say.

If I clear, it hangs on the yellow "please wait", which it did before as well, with the drop down sorta obscuring it all. What I'm trying to say is, the selection mechanics were kinda wonky in the last version, but got the job done.

Now it seems that it can clear that first code, for me currently the ABS code. But, since you can only do the one at a time, it just continues to try to clear that same code....

I tried quite a few tactics....clear with key off, tap brake to get it to connect. In that case it's the HEB/EV or whatever it was, and responds the same way as the key on ABS DTC.

I tried clearing, disconnecting 12v, clearing again. I tried with the car on. I tried with the car off.

The app is hanging.

Yes, I just tested after setting two DTCs.

I have not done this in a while and it looks a little different then I remember. In the the window that opens up only one ECU name shows and the text is a little too big so gets clipped. It is not obvious there is more than one ECU you can select but if you use your finger to swipe up or down you can see the other ECU name(s).

My memory is that this selection window showed up to three items with any others off the top or bottom so it was obvious you could scroll up and down. Since this is a library function it might have been changed by the compiler developer.

I will look into changing this so it is easier to select when more than one ECU has DTCs to clear. Apple is on holiday vacation so the next release will not be until next year.

Here are screenshots.

Psfhda.png
LVavZa.png

D0wcxX.png
IOZY75.png

Okay, I couldn't leave it alone.

First, I apologize for my tone. I am frustrated, the car is new to me and my first new car in a long time. I am frustrated that I am spending my time fixing it.

Secondly, it's working now. The app exhibited the same behavior as I described at first, but after a few tries of on/off and such it started chewing through the DTCs one by one. I still could not operate the drop down to select one, and it still would hang on Please Wait, but it eventually worked through them.

I've got the 12v on the charger, the battery I bought the car with is down to 8vdc, so it has a bad cell now. I can't tell which came first, since it seems to have tried to kill this second battery now as well. I suspect that the last time I tried I still had low voltage on the 12v since the charger was just bringing it up. Not that low, but maybe 11.5vdc-ish.

Again, I apologize for my tone, I was very frustrated and I know the app just updated. Speaking of, the changelog said something about stay connected/battery drain? Can you elaborate please. I wonder if that could have contributed to my 12v dying so dead in the course of two days disuse.

edit: Just seeing your screenshots and reply now. Thank you for that. Yes, that is how mine looks as well, but I have never been able to get the drop down to change/select, long tap, swipe, tap, hold...nothing. Regardless, it did take them one by one in order.

Can you post a screenshot of the Read DTC screen showing DTCs from more than one ECU?

If you can take an ELM trace of Reading the DTCs and send it to me I can then reproduce the problem with the exact same set of DTCs.

I'd love to, but I have no more DTCs! That's a good thing.

I have a new battery coming via UPS in the coming week. I will be messing with it again and I'll let you know how it responds. In the meantime, I'll do the same if I need to clear any between now and then. Thanks for your help, I'll keep you posted

I have adjusted the window size so you can now see that there are additional ECUs that have DTCs for clearing. Once Apple is back from holiday I will be able to release a new test version you can use to verify the fix.

a3YJ2x.png

forestrider said:
... the changelog said something about stay connected/battery drain? Can you elaborate please. I wonder if that could have contributed to my 12v dying so dead in the course of two days disuse.
Depending on the adapter and which model year LEAF, leaving the adapter plugged in can increase the 12V drain by a factor of five to six.

I recall ReGuheert measured it but I couldn't find the link.
On 2011 "normal" 12V drain was something like 20 to 30 milliAmp.
With bluetooth adapter plugged in I recall it was something like 185 milliAmp.

Plugged in adapter can cause a big 12V drain.

TimLee said:
forestrider said:
... the changelog said something about stay connected/battery drain? Can you elaborate please. I wonder if that could have contributed to my 12v dying so dead in the course of two days disuse.
Depending on the adapter and which model year LEAF, leaving the adapter plugged in can increase the 12V drain by a factor of five to six.

I recall ReGuheert measured it but I couldn't find the link.
On 2011 "normal" 12V drain was something like 20 to 30 milliAmp.
With bluetooth adapter plugged in I recall it was something like 185 milliAmp.

Plugged in adapter can cause a big 12V drain.

Probably a bigger factor on Leafs that don't have the solar panel. I know I've left my OBDII adapter plugged in for several months now and even if I don't drive the car for 3 or 4 days I have no issues with low 12v levels.

Of course I do park in the sun at work most days and about once ever 3 months I'll put the 12v on a CTEK to charge to full and desulfate.

There is a much larger drain if the Android device with Leaf Spy running is left in the car--it keeps the CAN bus active which keeps control modules in the car powered and probably prevents the automatic charging of the 12-volt battery (every 5 days while parked with 2011 and 2012 models and as necessary with later models).

Gerry

Back