Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RobCuthbertson said:
Hiya Turbo3, and hats off for a very well done family of apps!
I've been using Pro (with Galaxy s5) for about a year with my leased 2013 LEAF S.
I'm looking to buy a 2016 SV and would love to look at the battery health, but Leaf Spy Pro doesn't seem to support the 30kWh config.

Is that in the works?

Alternately, when I have a 2016 (current ETA for delivery is the first week in Dec) is there anything I can do to help you expand the app to support it? (I'm a software engineer with close to 30 years experience)
State of Health should be the same so it should work and does using the iOS version of LeafSpy on two 2016 SL Leafs.

Please retry and if it still fails I will need to see an ELM trace (see bottom of help file).

Turbo3 said:
RobCuthbertson said:
Hiya Turbo3, and hats off for a very well done family of apps!
I've been using Pro (with Galaxy s5) for about a year with my leased 2013 LEAF S.
I'm looking to buy a 2016 SV and would love to look at the battery health, but Leaf Spy Pro doesn't seem to support the 30kWh config.

Is that in the works?

Alternately, when I have a 2016 (current ETA for delivery is the first week in Dec) is there anything I can do to help you expand the app to support it? (I'm a software engineer with close to 30 years experience)
State of Health should be the same so it should work and does using the iOS version of LeafSpy on two 2016 SL Leafs.

Please retry and if it still fails I will need to see an ELM trace (see bottom of help file).

Outstanding! I has assumed that the 30kWh pack would be more than 96 cell pairs and so would need an update to the screen 1 charts. My bad, and thanks for the pointer to http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=20924

And to be clear -- I don't have my hands on the 2016 just yet. My dealer also has exactly one SL and one SV on the lot, and not interested in selling either of them just yet.

Hello,

First time posting to MNL! :)

I have been using Leaf Spy Pro and I have noticed that the tire pressure values it reads are showing about 3 PSI higher than my digital tire gauge (Gauge says 36, LSP says 39 ). So, which should I trust, the TPMS or the gauge? Is there a known variation in accuracy in the Leaf's TPMS?

Thanks!

Valdemar said:
If the difference is consistent on all 4 wheels I'd say the gauge is lying. I use a mechanical one and the difference is within 1PSI.

Yes, it is consistent. I just wanted to get feedback from others on the TPMS accuracy before I tried to hunt down a better tire gauge!

lrk2 said:
Hello,

I have been using Leaf Spy Pro and I have noticed that the tire pressure values it reads are showing about 3 PSI higher than my digital tire gauge (Gauge says 36, LSP says 39 ). So, which should I trust, the TPMS or the gauge? Is there a known variation in accuracy in the Leaf's TPMS?

Thanks!

remember TPMS has to be rolling a bit to get a "more correct" measurement. I see weird numbers all the time first thing in the morning. I would ignore LEAF Spy for at least the first few miles

DaveinOlyWA said:
lrk2 said:
Hello,

Thanks!

remember TPMS has to be rolling a bit to get a "more correct" measurement. I see weird numbers all the time first thing in the morning. I would ignore LEAF Spy for at least the first few miles
The tires warm up as you drive which will cause a cold tire pressure reading to change by several PSI as it warms up. There is no reason why rotation of the tire alone with no tire temperature change would change the tire pressure reading from the TPMS.

Turbo3 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
lrk2 said:
Hello,

Thanks!

The tires warm up as you drive which will cause a cold tire pressure reading to change by several PSI as it warms up. There is no reason why rotation of the tire alone with no tire temperature change would change the tire pressure reading from the TPMS.

i think the tires need a bit more than a few miles to start warming up. It is normal for me to see a delta as much as 2-3 PSI on start up which drops to less than ½ lb within the first mile or two

When first started, LeafSpy displays the previous readings from the tire the last time they were moving. So when your Leaf sits the tires will cool. When you start driving you will see the old temp until you have driven long enough to wake up the TPMS units at which time you will see a sudden just to the current tire pressure.

The individual pressure sensors do not all start transmitting at the same time when you start driving. It may take a few blocks after you get up to 25 or 30 miles per hour before all transmitters send updated pressures. There will be some pressure differential after the first transmitter sends an update until all 4 send updates due to the tires cooling off while parked. Leaf Spy displays the last pressure from each sensor when parked after you start driving until the sensors send updates.

I have found the pressures displayed by the TPMS on both the LEAF (2011 and 2015 through Leaf Spy) and my SUV (built in information center) to be very accurate.

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
The individual pressure sensors do not all start transmitting at the same time when you start driving. It may take a few blocks after you get up to 25 or 30 miles per hour before all transmitters send updated pressures. There will be some pressure differential after the first transmitter sends an update until all 4 send updates due to the tires cooling off while parked. Leaf Spy displays the last pressure from each sensor when parked after you start driving until the sensors send updates.

I have found the pressures displayed by the TPMS on both the LEAF (2011 and 2015 through Leaf Spy) and my SUV (built in information center) to be very accurate.

Gerry

this sounds like what I am seeing

Thanks for all the responses! Yes, I realize the tires have to rotate a bit before they send the tire pressure to the TPMS for reading by LSP. I did that, but did not drive enough for the tires to heat up. If everyone else sees their TPMS being accurate, I suspect the problem is my gauge. I'm glad it is reading low and not high at least!

Based on what I have read here at MNL, I was going to keep my tires at 40 PSI (cold) anyway. I co-worker old me he had a blowout of one of his tires, and when I searched here I see that people seem to blame low tire pressure (as opposed to high) for it...plus the benefits of less rolling resistance.

I see that in the LSP settings it allows the Watts per GID to be adjusted, but it defaults to 80. I also read in some threads that people observed that the Watts per GID is not consistent throughout the battery SOC. I have noticed that too. For example, when making the same trip from work to home of 11.4 miles I see the SOC consistently drop from 80% to 60%, but when I charge to 100% it only drops to 83 or 84 %.

Is there any better guidance for setting the Watts per GID? Is it something that is different for each battery, or changes as it ages? My battery is almost 2.5 yrs old and showing a SOH of 90% and I am wondering if I should change this setting since it seems to effect the accuracy of the estimate miles until empty.

Thanks!

lrk2 said:
I see that in the LSP settings it allows the Watts per GID to be adjusted, but it defaults to 80. I also read in some threads that people observed that the Watts per GID is not consistent throughout the battery SOC. I have noticed that too. For example, when making the same trip from work to home of 11.4 miles I see the SOC consistently drop from 80% to 60%, but when I charge to 100% it only drops to 83 or 84 %.

Is there any better guidance for setting the Watts per GID? Is it something that is different for each battery, or changes as it ages? My battery is almost 2.5 yrs old and showing a SOH of 90% and I am wondering if I should change this setting since it seems to effect the accuracy of the estimate miles until empty.

Thanks!
Hmm, OK so no help with this one yet. Today I read through the entire LSP help file for 1.0.2 (Android), and I realize I was wrong on the default W/GID. It stated it is actually 77.5.

Anyway, in an effort to derive the correct setting I decided to analyze my trip log file. I took the "Energy" column for each trip (which seems to always equal the "Drive" column) and divided it by the "Gids" column to see what the Energy/GID is for each trip. I then threw out very short trips (most trips were about 12 miles) and I get an average W/GID of 74.35. If I throw out the outliers (97 and 88) I get 72.24.

So, is my battery way different, or is my trip data from LSP unreliable, or is this because of what portion of the battery I was using (although it varied quite a bit from top, middle and bottom of the battery)?

Help! Thanks!

lrk2 said:
lrk2 said:

Thanks!
Hmm, OK so no help with this one yet. Today I read through the entire LSP help file for 1.0.2 (Android), and I realize I was wrong on the default W/GID. It stated it is actually 77.5.

Anyway, in an effort to derive the correct setting I decided to analyze my trip log file. I took the "Energy" column for each trip (which seems to always equal the "Drive" column) and divided it by the "Gids" column to see what the Energy/GID is for each trip. I then threw out very short trips (most trips were about 12 miles) and I get an average W/GID of 74.35. If I throw out the outliers (97 and 88) I get 72.24.

So, is my battery way different, or is my trip data from LSP unreliable, or is this because of what portion of the battery I was using (although it varied quite a bit from top, middle and bottom of the battery)?

Help! Thanks!

keep in mind short trips are limited by the resolution of the reported miles/km traveled. Minimum tick is 1 km or 0.621371 miles. So a 12 mile trip sill gives a pretty hefty margin of error (something like +- 5%).

dhanson865 said:
keep in mind short trips are limited by the resolution of the reported miles/km traveled. Minimum tick is 1 km or 0.621371 miles. So a 12 mile trip sill gives a pretty hefty margin of error (something like +- 5%).
Really? I'm seeing mileage values in the log of 11.2, 11.4, 11.8 miles (as well as 13.7, 14.3, 21.7), so I thought the resolution was to the 10th of a mile, which would give me less than 1% error. My average trip length is about 13 miles.

lrk2 said:
dhanson865 said:
Really? I'm seeing mileage values in the log of 11.2, 11.4, 11.8 miles (as well as 13.7, 14.3, 21.7), so I thought the resolution was to the 10th of a mile, which would give me less than 1% error. My average trip length is about 13 miles.
Wait a second! My calculation doesn't even involve mileage! I'm dividing the "Energy" in Watts by the number of GIDs used per trip. The average GIDs per trip is 47.4.

lrk2 said:
lrk2 said:
dhanson865 said:
Wait a second! My calculation doesn't even involve mileage! I'm dividing the "Energy" in Watts by the number of GIDs used per trip. The average GIDs per trip is 47.4.

Good point on the calc not including distance. I'm just used to thinking in Miles/kWh or watt hrs/mile not GIDs. I personally don't see the value of using raw GIDs, I just run by %SOC (linear, not dash).

As to the distance resolution the leafspy I'm using and my 2012 SL combine to a 1km accuracy limit. Maybe the 2013 has a better accuracy?

lrk2 said:
lrk2 said:

Thanks!

Help! Thanks!
In case there is some problem with the LSP data, I just tried coming to the answer the other way - by seeing how much power goes into the battery per GID. I charged the car from SOC of 63% to 79%, gaining 44 GIDs (from 159 to 203 = 44). My Juicebox EVSE reported that it took 3.384 kWh. If I assume the charge was 90% efficient then that is (0.9 * 3384) / 44 = 69.2 W/GID. Even lower.

As of last night's update the LSP Ios version is no longer able to clear DTC codes. I successfully cleared codes with it the other day, but since the upgrade the drop down menus in the clear dtc screen no longer respond.

I'm stranded.

Back