Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A suggestion:

Configure the app so that the notification can be swiped away to shut down the app. The Clock app does this when you run it in stopwatch mode.

Alternately, include a "shut down" button as part of the notification. The Map (Navigation) app does this.

I have a question about logging a charge session with Leaf Spy...forgive me if this was covered elsewhere in the thread.

What mode do I need to leave the car in in order to keep logging? It seems like OFF doesn't work. The power to the ELM seems to get cut off after a minute or so.

So do I need ACC, or ON (no brake pressed when pushing button), or READY (brake pressed when pushing button)?

I also want to make another request to Turbo3 to have the Wh display able to show the calculated charging rate based on the Wh count changing.

e.g. if the Wh count changes by 4 Wh over 3 seconds, then the rate is 4.8kW (4 Wh = 14400 Watt-seconds / 3 seconds = 4800 Watts). This could be averaged over 5 or 10 seconds to smooth out fluctuations due to the limited resoution of the Wh count.

--G

gmikol said:
I also want to make another request to Turbo3 to have the Wh display able to show the calculated charging rate based on the Wh count changing.
--G
I would like this too. Would be particularly useful to monitor when doing DCQC to know when to switch to L2.

Possible the app has this via another screen or toggle. There was mention previously about generating a FAQ or manual about all the app options and functions.

That is really needed. Hard to learn everything you can do with the app by reading a 50 page thread or the current wiki info.

But still a very valuable app :D
Just the individual tire pressure monitoring and 12V battery voltage makes it well worth the money.

I apologize if this has been discussed but I am trying to figure out how to download the app because my device says it isn't compatible. I downloaded the Leaf Spy Lite to both a Kindle Fire HD and a Nook HD. It didn't work (or I did something incorrect) on the Fire, but it works perfectly on the Nook HD. I would like to now get the Pro version but I can't figure out how to get it. If I go to the play store on the Nook, it doesn't display. If I click the link in this thread from the nook, it displays the app but says it is not compatible and will not let me download.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

gmikol said:
What mode do I need to leave the car in in order to keep logging? It seems like OFF doesn't work. The power to the ELM seems to get cut off after a minute or so.

So do I need ACC, or ON (no brake pressed when pushing button), or READY (brake pressed when pushing button)?

The LEAF shouldn't let you charge when in READY. Whether it does or not is another question. ON will work.

ACC will work initially, but in this mode power to at least some accessories is cut off after roughly 30 minutes. I am not sure if ELM is impacted by that.

WOW I made it through all 51 pages.
I purchased the Pro version last week and it is a very cool app, looking forward to the new enhancements and have sent a request to be one of your Beta tester.

I have a question regarding shunt, balancing, and all the RED bars.
History: Live in Hawaii so temperature of of the battery hangs out around 80 this time of year, and probably 90 in the summer.
Lost first capacity bar at 6,700 miles and second at 11,800... 2.5 years time wise.

Presently 13,340 mile, car delivered 7/2011
AHr=49.55 SOH 75% Hx=55.66 @82F ;from screen 2 Max Volt diff 22mV

SOC=62.5 When looking at screen one 23 packs are Blue and the balance of them are RED
This is pretty consistent - lots of red. After a full charge to 100% maybe only 10 or 15 are red but by the time I get down to 40% charge it's mostly red. So, how do I get the battery to balance out or is it close to the Replace under the 70% extended warranty.
Can the shut numbers be changed and what do they represent. Sequence of event or did Nissan tell you reverse engineers how to tweak them :D

Thanks for the good work. Its good to see whats happening and not let the local technicians snow me over with its in good shape.

pereze said:
I apologize if this has been discussed but I am trying to figure out how to download the app because my device says it isn't compatible. I downloaded the Leaf Spy Lite to both a Kindle Fire HD and a Nook HD. It didn't work (or I did something incorrect) on the Fire, but it works perfectly on the Nook HD. I would like to now get the Pro version but I can't figure out how to get it. If I go to the play store on the Nook, it doesn't display. If I click the link in this thread from the nook, it displays the app but says it is not compatible and will not let me download.

Thanks!

I'm not sure if the Pro version is now in the Kindle App store -- but to get the regular one on the Kindle Fire HD, you'll need to root it and stall an alternative version of the operating system.

If you understand what I just said or aren't freaked out by the idea of terminal command line interfaces, then google for the Cynoagen mod for Fire HD. It only works on the first generation Kindle Fire HD.

If you're going 'huh?' at the previous two paragraphs then no, you can't put it on the Kindle Fire HD. At least, not easily. ;)

Nikki.

pereze said:

Thanks!

gmikol said:
I have a question about logging a charge session with Leaf Spy...forgive me if this was covered elsewhere in the thread.

e.g. if the Wh count changes by 4 Wh over 3 seconds, then the rate is 4.8kW (4 Wh = 14400 Watt-seconds / 3 seconds = 4800 Watts). This could be averaged over 5 or 10 seconds to smooth out fluctuations due to the limited resoution of the Wh count.

--G
You don't need to have the Leaf ON to log a charging session when using a standard ELM327 (these are powered from the always on 12 volt pin in the OBDII socket).

The currently released versions of Leaf Spy do not support background logging so you would need to have Leaf Spy on screen (ie foreground). If you switch away or put the phone in sleep mode logging stops.

This is fixed in the version I am testing right now. I have left the phone in the car with the phone in sleep mode and it starts logging when the charge timer activates a charge in the early hours of the morning. The background Service part of the app is always running and polling the Leaf to see when charging starts. I use FolderSync on the phone to automatically update my dropbox. I can monitor the BatLog file as it grows during charge on any device that has access to the dropbox. The current state of charge can be easily monitored as there is now a special SOC folder that is updated with a file who's name is the SOC (SOC_xx where xx=%, SOC_70 means 70% SOC).

At this time all the features are locked for this version so any new function to display a Wh power number will have to wait until the next release. However, there are a few power numbers that have been added to the log (motor,A/C...) to support a Leaf Hackathon in April.

Now I just need to go through each of the program features (old and new) to make sure everything still works and fix any problems I introduced when I merged in all this changes. That will take a day or two and then it will be released to the Leaf Spy Pro testers to tell me what I missed. There are lots and lots of little improvements/fixes.

I have been offline for a while as I finally purchased a MacBook Pro several weeks ago to learn iOS. This new release of Leaf Spy Pro is actually being done on the MacBook Pro since I have it setup to dual boot Windows 7 which is fully supported by Apple. My plan for the iOS version is to use a much more powerful OBDII adapter (which I have a few for testing) that will remove all the restrictions of the ELM327. The ELM327 is a toy compared to this adapter. But of course it is more expensive. I am trying to get some type of bulk order to get the price down to a more reasonable level. This adapter has a real sleep mode down in the low ma or even ua range. I have gotten to the point where I have modified Apple's EADemo program and made it display data (Gids in raw frame format) from our Leaf to my wife's iTouch. I can send commands to the OBDII adapter and have it filter any message frame(s) and display the frame data. The Leaf Spy icon is already translated to Apple's format for all their devices. But I have taken a break from that to get this long delayed Android version update out.

Marlin808 said:
WOW I made it through all 51 pages.
I purchased the Pro version last week and it is a very cool app, looking forward to the new enhancements and have sent a request to be one of your Beta tester.

I have a question regarding shunt, balancing, and all the RED bars.
History: Live in Hawaii so temperature of of the battery hangs out around 80 this time of year, and probably 90 in the summer.
Lost first capacity bar at 6,700 miles and second at 11,800... 2.5 years time wise.

Presently 13,340 mile, car delivered 7/2011
AHr=49.55 SOH 75% Hx=55.66 @82F ;from screen 2 Max Volt diff 22mV

SOC=62.5 When looking at screen one 23 packs are Blue and the balance of them are RED
This is pretty consistent - lots of red. After a full charge to 100% maybe only 10 or 15 are red but by the time I get down to 40% charge it's mostly red. So, how do I get the battery to balance out or is it close to the Replace under the 70% extended warranty.
Can the shut numbers be changed and what do they represent. Sequence of event or did Nissan tell you reverse engineers how to tweak them :D

Thanks for the good work. Its good to see whats happening and not let the local technicians snow me over with its in good shape.
Battery Balancing is totally under the Leaf's control (Nissan's programming). With an SOH of 75% you do seem to be getting down to the replacement battery level. You probably need to be less than 70% SOH to qualify. Would be interesting to know what SOH you are at when Nissan agrees it is time.

The shunts are what the Leaf uses to balance the cells by bleeding a small amount of energy from cells with high voltage as those are the ones that will force a charge to stop to protect them from being overcharged. This leaves all the other cells with less than a full charge.

Everything is reverse engineered through various techniques. Nissan will tell you nothing. The mapping of shunts to actual cell pairs is not known for certain which is why there is an option in Settings to change the order. But this just changes which cells are marked red on the screen and has nothing to do with which cell pair has its shunts active. So I could be marking the wrong cells with red but the number of active shunts is still correct.

For my group of testers, Version 0.29.21 of Leaf Spy Pro has just been uploaded to the test area in PlayStore. It should take about 90 minutes before it shows up for download.

Recommend you have Bluetooth enabled to start with and you go into settings and check the "Enable Auto BT Pairing" option under System settings.

If you tap the Battery image Tip(+) you will get a new graphic display of energy being used as shown below.

The energy uses shown are:

Aux = Lights, defroster and other accessories, in this case I have the high beams and rear defroster on. Max scale is 2,000 watts so this should be about 400 watts.
Htr = PTC Heating element. Max scale is 6 kw
A/C = Air conditioner, this also includes the Heater. So when heating both Htr and A/C bars will grow. Max scale is 6 kw.

The right side numbers are the raw values from the Leaf

This function is so new I have not even taken it for a drive yet. So the above is how it should work.

0ma5.png

Here are the updated Settings screens.

xtt6.png
fzf3.png
5fgu.png
edsr.png
u529.png

One of the biggest changes in this version is support for background logging even when the Android device is in sleep mode. A side benefit I found was that the log rate can be much faster in background mode. I was able to take a trace of a charging session (started at 4 AM) by just leaving the phone in the Leaf in sleep mode. In the morning the BatLog showed a sample every 2.7 seconds. This was with the interval set to 2 seconds and the Multi Frame Delay set to "10 = 16 ms" which is the fast setting currently available. In foreground mode the sample rate was only about every 8.5 seconds average. There is also an option to disable GPS if the phone is running off of internal battery. This would save battery life if you have the phone powered from the Leaf 12 volt port which is off when the Leaf is off. Since the Leaf is parked while charging you reduce power by having the GPS turned off while logging but it turns back on when you start the Leaf which also recharges the phone. Suggested by a Leaf Spy user.

Auto Bluetooth Pairing is also available. This handles the case where the OBDII has powered off and the phone needs to repair again. The default key is 1234 but when you select the OBDII adapter from within the app it ask for the key which then overrides the default. For a new device that the phone has not seen before you still need to do the first pairing manually so it will show up in the apps list of devices. But after that if a pair is needed it will be done automatically if enabled in settings.

Logging now lets you select the Date format used to meet your countries standard for excel. Epoch time is now also saved per sample for those needing a universal standard to process the log. Here is a trick I learned if you want to sum all the cell pair voltages that gets around the fact that some may be negative if the shunt is active. Use "=SUMPRODUCT(ABS(X2:DO2)" The Setting's Logging panel now shows remaining byes on the SD Card and the app will automatically drop out of logging mode if storage gets too low.

Tire Pressure warning now locks you on the Summary screen and flashes a message every second as to how to turn off the alarm and unlock the screen.

Enabling the Brake/Motor screens is still experimental and may lock up the app. Disable if that happens to you.

A new ERRdata.txt log file is created that contains additional information that might help me debug problems. You can erase that if it gets too big or you don't have a problem. If you do have a problem send me the ERRdata.txt file along with any ELM TRC files you have taken.

The battery temperature screen should now correctly display any range of temperatures without going off screen or displaying bad graphics.

A new Model year selection is located in the Settings but this is auto set if your Leaf VIN follows the US standard. If not (UK users) you will need to set this yourself. Right now it just determines whether 3 or 4 battery temperature sensors are displayed but might control other model year related differences that app need to work with.

If you select reserves of 3% to 0% those values will be displayed on the summary screen (4th screen) as a reminder you are using a very low or no reserve to calculate remaining distance till the car goes to Turttle. So be carefully you don't run out of energy.

If you use DropBox and FolderSync you can monitor SOC by sync'ing the new subfolder SOC to your DropBox or other cloud storage. This new folder will be updated with a single file who's name is the SOC value anytime the SOC value changes when the app is running even in sleep mode.

Turbo3 said:
I have been offline for a while as I finally purchased a MacBook Pro several weeks ago to learn iOS. This new release of Leaf Spy Pro is actually being done on the MacBook Pro since I have it setup to dual boot Windows 7 which is fully supported by Apple. My plan for the iOS version is to use a much more powerful OBDII adapter (which I have a few for testing) that will remove all the restrictions of the ELM327. The ELM327 is a toy compared to this adapter. But of course it is more expensive. I am trying to get some type of bulk order to get the price down to a more reasonable level. This adapter has a real sleep mode down in the low ma or even ua range. I have gotten to the point where I have modified Apple's EADemo program and made it display data (Gids in raw frame format) from our Leaf to my wife's iTouch. I can send commands to the OBDII adapter and have it filter any message frame(s) and display the frame data. The Leaf Spy icon is already translated to Apple's format for all their devices. But I have taken a break from that to get this long delayed Android version update out.

I assume the new ELM will still only allow you to connect to one bus, not all 3, at least via Bluetooth. Is that correct? Just the EV bus still? Not the Audio or Car busses?

Jeffrey.

TimeHorse said:
Turbo3 said:

I assume the new ELM will still only allow you to connect to one bus, not all 3, at least via Bluetooth. Is that correct? Just the EV bus still? Not the Audio or Car busses?

Jeffrey.
Jeffrey,
This adapter only connects to a single CAN bus, the CAR-CAN bus. However, there is a special cable available that allows you to plug two of these into the Leaf OBDII socket and install two of the adapters to monitor both the CAR-CAN and EV-CAN. It is a custom Y-cable that rewires one end to map the EV-CAN to the CAR-CAN pins. More expensive setup but can be done. But with this cable and two of the OBDII adapters the app would be able to monitor CAR and EV CAN at the same time.

I have been asked to see how many people would be interested in getting such a cable. I have one for testing and another that maps the AV-CAN to the CAR-CAN but that one was a mistake so limited numbers available.

So let me know if anyone is interested in either of these two special Y cables.

Here is what it looks like plus a screen shot of the iOS test program icon.

ffod.jpg
o53n.png

Turbo3 said:
For my group of testers, Version 0.29.21 of Leaf Spy Pro has just been uploaded to the test area in PlayStore...

Great job! Some initial observsarions from this morning's drive:
- While in the Motor Power and Accelerator screen, when I brake, I no longer see the green bar (indicating regen) and red bar (indicating mechanical braking)
- I like the digital kW value you added in the upper left corner of this screen, but when the value turns negative, the right edge of the least significant digit jams up against the bar graph
- When I'm in this screen, any regen that happens is not tallied in the new cummulative regen counter, on screen 3.

jaimev said:
Turbo3 said:
For my group of testers, Version 0.29.21 of Leaf Spy Pro has just been uploaded to the test area in PlayStore...

Great job! Some initial observsarions from this morning's drive:
- While in the Motor Power and Accelerator screen, when I brake, I no longer see the green bar (indicating regen) and red bar (indicating mechanical braking)
- I like the digital kW value you added in the upper left corner of this screen, but when the value turns negative, the right edge of the least significant digit jams up against the bar graph
- When I'm in this screen, any regen that happens is not tallied in the new cummulative regen counter, on screen 3.
Thanks for the report.
- To get real motor power the app needs motor voltage which means a different filter is used and that new filter does not allow seeing the brake/regen frames so no red/green bars while monitoring motor power. iOS version will not have this problem. (In the previous test version I was just displaying motor Amps which can be gotten along with Brake/regen frames.)
- I will adjust text field to better handle negative kw in the next test version. (bug #1)
- While monitoring Brake/Motor information the data to calculate regen is not available to the app. At least it is not available in the same way. If you are monitoring motor power it seems it should be technically possible to calculate regen energy since it is being displayed whenever the motor power is negative. But I will have to put this on my todo/tolookinto list to see how hard it would be.

Thanks again for the feed back. I need to know the little problems as well as what works. I am a little nervous about releasing a new version that has some key bug that kills the app now that I have hundreds and hundreds of users. So this feedback is key to when I can release the app to everyone.

Jim

Here is the fix for negative kw problem. (updated with larger fonts)
k0ak.png
8vqp.png

aminorjourney said:
[

I'm not sure if the Pro version is now in the Kindle App store -- but to get the regular one on the Kindle Fire HD, you'll need to root it and stall an alternative version of the operating system.

If you understand what I just said or aren't freaked out by the idea of terminal command line interfaces, then google for the Cynoagen mod for Fire HD. It only works on the first generation Kindle Fire HD.

If you're going 'huh?' at the previous two paragraphs then no, you can't put it on the Kindle Fire HD. At least, not easily. ;)

Nikki.

Thanks Nikki,

I have been debating on rooting the Kindle Fire HD, but I had better luck with the Nook HD. The Nook HD goes to the google play store, but still must have something that doesn't allow me to download/see all the different apps. I am open to rooting this device and will do it to get this software installed. :) I was curious since the Spy Lite was working fine on the Nook HD and I could download it from the play store, why couldn't I get the pro or regular version? I am not very familiar with android so I am still learning a bit, however I am not afraid to try things and am fairly tech savvy.

So, I guess the short question is do I have to root the Nook HD to get Spy Pro or is there another way to load it?

Thanks,
Eric

To make the Seconds caption on the Power screen easier to understand, in
the parens, perhaps use (Pwr = -29.6 to 31.8)?

As usual, splendid work, though I have not yet been able to drive the car.

Turbo3 said:
I have been asked to see how many people would be interested in getting such a cable. I have one for testing and another that maps the AV-CAN to the CAR-CAN but that one was a mistake so limited numbers available.

So let me know if anyone is interested in either of these two special Y cables.

Here is what it looks like plus a screen shot of the iOS test program icon.

+1 (Though imageshack is blocked at work so I can't see the shots ATM.)

I will say though is I really would be curious to sample all 3 busses, including the Audio Bus, but that, I'll admit, is a very esoteric desire and not worth much investigation. But if you need beta testers for iOS let me know. And if you need any help with iOS development, I might be able to help. Are you using Objective C, C++ or C?

Turbo3 said:
jaimev said:
Turbo3 said:

Here is the fix for negative kw problem. (updated with larger fonts)

Thanks for the quick fix. That looks good.

One other thing...I've been having connection issues the last 2 days, perhaps 4 or 5 times - the most recent happening this morning around 8:00am. After parking and turning off the car for a while, I return and start the car, and Leaf Spy Pro has problems connecting with the ELM and displays this error message:

Pvbi71M.png

The problem clears up if I exit Leaf Spy Pro, and restart. It happens with ELM trace enabled, and also disabled. I use this dongle: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS modified to power off when the car is off.

Relevant trace files:
ERRdata.txt: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/574674/ERRdata.txt
TRC_1403260741.txt https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/574674/TRC_1403260741.txt

Back