LEAF reliability survey, view results, sign up to help

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

We'll have a stat for the 2011 later this month based on 56 cars, a very good sample size for such a low volume model.

With the update after this one, in May, we'll hopefully have a stat for the 2012 as well--but especially need more participants for the current model year. Eleven 2012s signed up so far.

Car reliability research

mkaresh said:
Thanks, I appreciate it.

We'll have a stat for the 2011 later this month based on 56 cars, a very good sample size for such a low volume model.

With the update after this one, in May, we'll hopefully have a stat for the 2012 as well--but especially need more participants for the current model year. Eleven 2012s signed up so far.

Car reliability research

Just added my 2012 SL. I think I will be reporting that the rear seat heater on the 60% side is not working.

Went to compare reliability of the Leaf with the Volt and found that the Volt is not listed. Not enough folks from gm-volt.com wanted to participate?

palmermd said:
Went to compare reliability of the Leaf with the Volt and found that the Volt is not listed. Not enough folks from gm-volt.com wanted to participate?

gm-volt rejected my request to post a thread about the survey, and not enough Volt owners have signed up. So no stats on their car, as much as I'd like to provide them.

I did think that we'd get plenty of Volt owners signed up anyway, as we have over 1,200 Prius owners signed up and I figured at least a few dozen of those would buy a Volt. But nope. They seem much more likely to buy a LEAF.

garygid said:
I just registered, but trying to answer the survey causes my Android browser to quit.
Visio VTAB1008 tablet, updated to Android 3.2.1 OS.

Thanks for the note. Is 3.2.1 generally solid? It all works on my phone, but I have 2.3 (Gingerbread).

What part of the survey caused your browser to quit? (Feel free to reply via PM or the contact form on the site.)

mkaresh said:
Thank you for putting a good word in, Boomer.

There are now 27 LEAF owners signed up. Based on past experience, we'll be able to provide especially good information with 40+ cars. So we're already about 2/3 of the way there--thanks, guys!

Just added one more LEAF to your population. Of course, I have nothing to report, so far. :)

Yes, the Vizio Tablet (VTAB1008, now under $200 at Costco) with its original Android 2.3.2 OS seems to work OK.

With the OS 3.2.1 Upgrade, after I log in at TrueDelta, the Browser quits when I touch "My Garage" on the right end of the Menu "Buttons".

I hope this helps.

Cheezmo said:
I added mine and my DC quick charge port repair that is in limbo for 1.5 weeks waiting for a part.

This is the port on the car? What's wrong with it?

mkaresh said:
Cheezmo said:
I added mine and my DC quick charge port repair that is in limbo for 1.5 weeks waiting for a part.
This is the port on the car? What's wrong with it?
Busted: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8486" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have an updated result for the Nissan LEAF based on owner experiences through December 31, 2011.

So far no non-software repairs have been reported, for 56 cars.

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates later this month and in August. The more owners participate, the better the information we can provide.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Nissan LEAF reliability ratings and comparisons

I have a question about reporting. I signed up last year sometime and I've reported no issues. However, the car has a lot of rattles. I'm not inclined to take it in to the dealer because I don't trust them to find anything and I suspect they'll just tear things up. To me a rattle isn't a big deal, especially on a leased car.

So are rattles a "problem"?

FYI I've seen some people report the software upgrades as problems which seems totally incorrect to me.

As noted earlier in the thread, we don't count software updates as repairs as long as they're free.

We don't count all posted repairs in the reliability stats. So just because you see a repair posted on the site doesn't mean that it counts in the stats.

We do count rattles if they're repaired.

Early on I decided to focus on repaired problems because if you're picky enough you can find unrepaired problems in just about any car, and as much as possible I wanted to measure the reliability of the cars and not the pickiness (or not) of owners.

Also, I didn't want people to have to dwell on the unrepaired problems with their cars every time they were asked to respond.

This said, we do count unrepaired problems when a car is sold, in part because people often choose to sell a car rather than to fix an expensive problem.

We have an updated result for the Nissan LEAF based on owner experiences through June 30, 2012.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2012: 14, small sample size

2011: 6

Both are much better than average.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds," to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop.

These stats for the LEAF:

2011: 91, < 1

Thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. The more owners participate, the better the information we can provide.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Nissan LEAF reliability ratings and comparisons

ztanos said:
Is it because nothing is considered broken and everything is normal?

So, they're just cheap skates to give all this grief to folks with rapidly degrading cars, and the LEAF is the lowest in warranty cost to Nissan, and the highest in customer satisfaction.

Ya know, it's just stepping on their own toes.

Back