LEAF reliability survey, view results, sign up to help

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkaresh

I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that made the differences between cars clearer. So a few years ago I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to report on new models like the LEAF sooner then track cars closely as they age.

Partly thanks to an earlier thread posted here at the suggestion of some members, we will have an initial reliability stat for the LEAF next month. But this will be based on a very small sample size--we could provide much better information with more owners involved. So I'm very grateful that the forum admin has provided permission to post this new thread.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, following the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the LEAF, for free. I'll share results for in this thread after each update.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Car reliability research

I'd like to add an unsolicited recommendation.

I've been sending car reliability data to Michael Karesh at his True Delta site for about 5 years now, and I can recommend it highly. It is quite painless and you get access to Mike's reliability and fuel economy data for hundreds of different car models. After spending way too much money on repairs for a 1997 Ford Probe, I felt a real need for an independent car reliability database that is accessible and easy to use, and Mike's True Delta serves that purpose. I have never been bothered by spam or unwanted emails from Mike. He requests repair information for any trips to the repair shop, but if no repair visits occur, a simple odometer entry is all that is needed every few months.

Thank you for putting a good word in, Boomer.

There are now 27 LEAF owners signed up. Based on past experience, we'll be able to provide especially good information with 40+ cars. So we're already about 2/3 of the way there--thanks, guys!

Actually, now 41 2011s and one 2012 (going forward will especially need more of these).

Excellent response. Thanks, guys.

Well, thanks to people here we have an initial reliability stat for the LEAF. Based on only 16 cars--we'll have far more data with the next update, in February--but nevertheless noteworthy because the only repairs reported for these were fixed through software (a few owners reported a problem with the AC). We don't count free software updates in the stats, so for now the reported repair frequency is zero.

This stat covers through the end of September, but no repairs were reported for October, either, even with more cars involved.

A small correction to my previous post: there was no 2012 signed up, but someone had entered their car as a 2011.5. After changing this to 2011, we now have 51 cars signed up. Very good for a low volume model. And the more owners participate, the more precise the next set of results will be.

To sign up to help:

Car reliability research

I'll be adding my 2012 in the next couple weeks and dropping my 2007 Prius off the report. Tracked for five years, the only problem with the Prius was having to replace the rubber cover on the rear latch switch that had turned into a sticky, gummy mess. Apparently a common problem with the 2007 Prii. Otherwise an extremely reliable car.

I think the title should change to better reflect what the thread is really about. May be something like "Signup for TrueDelta - Independant Car Reliability Research" ?

mkaresh said:
... We don't count free software updates in the stats, so for now the reported repair frequency is zero. ...
Hmmm, it's not clear to me that these updates would be free if the cars weren't under warranty.

ok i sign up. how do i input mileage and repair info?

i registered both Prius and Leaf. in both cases i can only register mileage. have had no repair issues with either one so far.

evnow said:
I think the title should change to better reflect what the thread is really about. May be something like "Signup for TrueDelta - Independant Car Reliability Research" ?

I've used something like that before, and it does sometimes get more people involved. But from this point forward we'll mostly be sharing the results. So something that covers both topics would work fine with me. Hadn't noticed that it's possible to edit the topic in this forum--it's not in many others.

DaveinOlyWA said:
ok i sign up. how do i input mileage and repair info?

i registered both Prius and Leaf. in both cases i can only register mileage. have had no repair issues with either one so far.

I send out a periodic email with links to the survey. The one covering November will go out tomorrow.

davewill said:
mkaresh said:
... We don't count free software updates in the stats, so for now the reported repair frequency is zero. ...
Hmmm, it's not clear to me that these updates would be free if the cars weren't under warranty.

Sorry, missed this one earlier. If the update isn't free, we count it as a repair.

63 LEAFs nw enrolled in the survey. Thanks, guys! With such excellent participation we'll have some very solid stats with the February update (preview to participants in just a few weeks).

Keeps asking me for the power train and there are no options to choose.

AP1 said:
Keeps asking me for the power train and there are no options to choose.

Can you contact me through the site, so I can sort out what happened?

We're working on some browser-specific issues, and this is likely one of them.

Now have 70 2011s and 7 2012s. Thanks, guys!

Back