Leaf order last minute nightmare from Nissan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrendanDolan said:
BlueSL said:
jamesanne said:
Let's stick to the facts. Please review the OP's and Brendan's posts for how the error occurred. The OP had some communication with Nissan regarding the EV Project, we don't know what happened exactly, but that is where the error began.

The OP is being given an SL with no QC. It could never be an EV project car.

Not to be rude, but swing and a miss. OP's car has a QC port. While I don't want to come across as too crass, wild speculation about the ordering process and this situation does nobody any good, so please leave the speculation to yourself. This order mixup is annoying enough for the OP to deal with and wild guesses from the peanut gallery do absolutely nothing to help his situation. I processed his RAQ personally, and I've seen his dashboard, his order sheet, the wholesale, and the invoice. Have you? If not, stop speculating. The dashboard says no QC, but the car has one, and it's on the invoice.

Facts that I uncover with Nissan as to why they changed the order, and more importantly what we're going to do to fix it for the OP is what's important.

For the record, when you accept an RAQ, that order is processed, and built for you. There isn't a mouth breathing 80 point IQ human matching cars to orders.

Well, I heard from a good source that this car had the optional generator option and that's why it does not qualify for the EV project and why it had six VIN numbers at one time. He should not pay for the generator but the QC port and other stuff. Makes complete sense now.

leafetarian said:
I have no problem with getting rid of Aerovironment and installing Ecotality if Nissan includes me.

How are people getting into EV project after picking up Leaf? It seems like last minute addition while I have been told by Nissan that for couple of months before delivery that it is too late to include me in EV project. It would help me if you can post details.

Where's the upside in that? You've paid AV, right? Why would you want a different EVSE just because it is free? AV sure is not going to give you your money back.

Sorry to hear about the screw-up.

It's really great to see the Brendan is in your corner and fighting the process to try to get everything straightened out. This whole reservation and ordering process is certainly showing that there is cream in the milk of dealerships, and it's been rising to the top. I've been really impressed with a couple of dealers we've heard about here.

Hope you get it all straightened out soon.

EVDRIVER said:
Well, I heard from a good source that this car had the optional generator option and that's why it does not qualify for the EV project and why it had six VIN numbers at one time. He should not pay for the generator but the QC port and other stuff. Makes complete sense now.

I've been so stressed I had to read that twice to ensure my sarcasm meter wasn't broken. :lol: :lol: Thanks for the laugh. :p

ECOtality has been very consistent in stating that project membership must start Before Delivery (Volt or LEAF). They will not accept participants that already have a vehicle, for whatever reason.

I also made a change to my car after the original order, and the process was very methodical.
I had to request the change to my port-installed options, three times.
Eventually, Nissan got back to me and said they would notify my PD.

My PD then had to approve the change AND generate a new quote.

I then had to approve the new quote through communication with Nissan via the Dash.

Only then did my car configuration change.

At the time, I thought the formality was a bit overkill for a $30 net difference, but it made sense to have such a process.

So when you say that your entire car trim level changed without approval, RAQ re-run, and so on, I'm totally surprised and stumped. It seems like they had a specific process for this, and didn't follow it.

But I'm with the others that say -- Nissan screwed up, and your best possible outcome is to pay the money for their mistake, take the feature you didn't order, and hope to recoup some of it in resale later. If you can get into EVProject (quick!), all the better, but it's really not worth the hassle if you already have an EVSE. You'd be trading it for a much larger and buggier one, only to recoup $600 or so. Ultimately it's up to you, and how badly you want a car now vs later.

Well I guess it is time for a mea culpa. I just went back and read two emails I sent Nissan on Feb 7 and Feb 8, and they could have been interpreted as a request to be included in the ECOtality project. Curiously I never got any response to the second one, and my DB ever since then has said, "you don't meet the criteria for the free eTec home charger". Despite that, I now suspect that someone, rather ham-handedly, tried to replace my SV VIN 670, with SL+QC VIN 1537, "at my request".

leafetarian may have a stronger case than I do but, despite what GroundLoop just said about a normal process, at this point it looks like I may have to gulp and swallow the extra $1700 for features I don't expect to get much, if any, use out of.

Either that, or walk away, and frankly I don't think my dealer deserves to be able to make a bunch of money out of an orphan he created by not being there to help me. (Stevens Creek Nissan: Never answers his phone, never responds to phone mail or email.)

Ray

palmermd said:
BlueSL said:
AV sure is not going to give you your money back.

But he can sell it for what he paid for it now that AV has raised their price.

Yes, if Nissan puts me in EV Project and gives me free ecotality charger, I would sell my Aerovironment charger. After all, it is practically new and never been used. And Leaf doesn't have charging holes in front and back to double the speed of charging so it doesn't make sense for me to keep two chargers !! :)

Now, that's an idea some car company can capitalize on :) Tandem chargers!

By the way, Nissan process is more broken than I expected. Yesterday all day to resolve my problem, I offered Nissan to put me on EV project and that can make it OK for me to eat up the upgrade cost. But, they kept telling me that your car is SL without Quick Charge and so you can't qualify for ecotality. Brendan told me that the car for me (matches VIN by the way) is SL with QC and so it has the potential to qualify. But, Nissan has completely lost this piece of information that it has QC although the invoice has QC and the car has physical QC port.

Back